• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    One of my favorite 1911’s in my Kimber Ultra Carry 2, 3 inch barrel. Shoots good, recoil not bad. Kind of kicks straight back, not up.

thank you! i would prefer recoil that goes back rather than up (that’s what she said right? :laughing:) ... i wanted to look at some kimbers as well and will put this on my list!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    since my CHL should be here any day now (yay!) ....

i am looking for an EDC with the most power i can feasibly handle...i have done a lot of research, especially female shooter sites, but everyone seems to recommend a .380 or 9mm....is there a larger caliber anyone could recommend? maybe something their wife or girlfriend carries?

i know everyone is going to tell me to go to a range and try some out, but i have looked at our local range rentals and there are not a lot of options to try larger than 9s...a couple springfields, a couple glocks, and a sig or two but not a huge selection.

recoil is a factor but not a huge one....this is not the gun i will be taking to the range and putting 250-500 rounds through in a single visit....i would shoot enough to get familiar with it and then probably run 25-50 rounds through monthly just to keep skills up....i do not want it jumping out of my hands though when i shoot.

same thing goes for weight....i do not want to haul around a brick all day but i am okay with a heavier gun....honestly, i do not want it to be so comfortable i "forget" it is there...i want to remain conscious at all times that i am carrying something that is a HUGE responsibility.

want:
    1. concealable size...does not have to be micro but do not want a huge gun
    2. highly reliable up to 7yds...i would mostly be practicing from 3-7 yards, not much farther....i figure if someone is further than 21 ft, i have time to yell or pepper spray or run to get away?
    3. multiple IWB holster options (as in nothing too "unique" where i will have to have something custom made)

what i REALLY want is a .45acp....why? i just do - i figured if anyone could understand it would be this group :D .... my friends think i am crazy lol

if anyone has recommendations or input/corrections into my thoughts, i am all ears. i guess i have average strength in my arms for a female (not a body builder but also no arthritis or other ailments), 5'3" and 120-125 lbs.

thanks in advance!!
    I will warn you I’m going to mention a 9mm. As for the bigger calibers I think 40sw is something that might be what your looking for. I don’t own a Glock 27 but did shoot one and want one now. Really accurate gun. My Sig 229 in 40 is very accurate too. 40 has been a better shooting cartridge for me than 9mm. That 27 didn’t beat my hand up at all. My father in laws xds in 45 is unpleasant.
    The 9mm I would recommend? An xd mod2 compact or service. Even the service size hides good. It shoots great. Plus you can get one cheaper than a Glock.

Glock...you might want to look at the 45 gap. I’m fascinated by it. I want to try one. You get a 45 cal that’s performing similar to a 45acp but you get a frame similar to a 9mm Glock.

just thinking out loud. Hope you find something.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    No one ever raped a .38! Get an old school S&W model 49.
    IMG_3877.JPG

Notice all the poctet dust & lint. If you purse carry any gun loose it will be worse.

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Set up a time with @Moonpie and he can most likely bring some jam-o-matics, I mean 1911's to try. I carry a 3" Kimber 1911 and prefer a 45 over a 9 or 40 (both too snappy for me in 1911 platform). The recommendation on a 640 or other j-frame is spot on as well. Lots of members in your area so finding a few with a culmination of items to try should not be that hard.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Size of the shooter doesn't matter, attitude does. If you think it's going to hurt to shoot it, guess what, it will. MY BIL's GF is a little bitty thing, maybe 5' and 100lbs. She has a S&W 59 (9mm) and has no problem. My BIL asked her if she wanted to try his SA Subcompact 45, I don't know the model. She had no problems with it. In fact liked it.

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    hey thanks everyone! i am going to check out all the recommendations and links y’all kindly sent...i also believe physical size does not matter as much as attitude....

but...

i cannot shoot revolvers, just terrible at it....every time i have tried my ADD kicks in and i cannot concentrate on anything but the slow turning of the cylinder and i get jumpy and nervous...pathetic i know! :facepalm:

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    My wife finds commander sized 1911's in .45 ACP as easy, if not easier to shoot and manipulate than most polymer, striker fired firearms. For reference on her grip and arm strength, she struggles to pull the slide back on a .40 S&W Walther PPQ. She can do it, if she holds her arm fully extended holding the slide and then forces the grip with the opposing hand. She doesn't suffer those struggles with decent 1911's. At that price point, I think Moonpie's suggestion for the guardian 2 from Dan Wesson is on point.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My wife has a Ruger LCR in .38 as "her" pistol... Although she doesn't have a LTC yet, she occasionally goes to the range with me and does well shooting it. My EDC is either a Springfield XD-s or XD-m both in 9mm with HST's. But I do have an identical XD-m in .45 as well.
    My thinking is that the ballistics of modern 9mm hollow points has improved sufficiently to make it a very viable choice along with being less expensive than .45 which means more range time to keep skills up to par! Lots of folks will argue for 9mm because of higher capacity, but my thought is that "if I need more ammo than what's in my weapon plus 2 spare mags, then I shouldn't be there!"
    Food for thought...
    Josh

PS - Welcome to TGT!!

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    love the commander size 1911 suggestions! my friend whom i have gone shooting with quite a bit and knows my shooting style (strengths and weaknesses) said he thinks i will really like the 1911 .45 acp

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    One of my favorite 1911’s in my Kimber Ultra Carry 2, 3 inch barrel. Shoots good, recoil not bad. Kind of kicks straight back, not up.

If you're carrying a 1911, you'll want to put in a ton of range time and invest in some formal training. Ron is right though, this mule carries and shoots like a dream. Barks like a dog. Not saying you couldn't manage it - training training training.
    IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Unfortunately, you've started your search at a terrible time. l'm afraid you might have to just keep an open mind and see what you can get now, and plan on getting something better later when the supply and selection comes back.

That might mean grab a 9 or 380 for now, depending on what you can find ammo for and a pistol to go with it that you can live with for a while.

In these times, you're going have difficulty finding a good selection of pistols, and an even harder time finding ammo to feed them.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I am absolutely appalled by this community right now. Not a single 10mm recommendation? Girly girl wants power!

Kidding of course.

If you are ever in the Austin area I have a quite a few of the recommended handguns. P365XL, G43x,19,20,23,27,29 a few XDs, a few Sigs and several 1911s in multiple calibers including 10mm if you're feeling frisky.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    love the commander size 1911 suggestions! my friend whom i have gone shooting with quite a bit and knows my shooting style (strengths and weaknesses) said he thinks i will really like the 1911 .45 acp

I would contact @Moonpie , he lives a little south of you & is always going to the range. Hes a great guy, & I'm sure would let you burn some powder with him. You could buy him lunch & he'd be happy.

Top Bottom