Join TexasGunTalk

Upgraded to Linux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Maverick44, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    My laptop isn't the fastest thing despite having a i5 processor and 8Gb of RAM. To top it off, I got it secondhand (refurbished, bought it off Amazon) and the Windows 10 license apparently decided to expire about a year after I got the thing (not too happy about that, but I can't return it now). I can still use most features on windows, but that stupid "Activate Windows" watermark is permanently on my screen. I decided I wanted to try Linux and so I downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon and set up dual boot so that I can switch between Windows 10 and Linux at will.

I like it, I like it a LOT. It's sleeker and faster, but still has that familiar Windows layout. Start up takes nowhere near as long, and everything just seems snappier. The fact that something like this is completely free is mind boggling. I plan on eventually upgrading my cheap HDD to an good SSD, so I'll probably stick with just Linux when I do that.

Southpaw and orbitup like this.
  2. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known

Jul 30, 2016
    Try Ubuntu, even more user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mad88minute and no2gates like this.
  3. kenboyles72

kenboyles72 Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    You could also try Linux Mint XFCE, that's what I'm running. XFCE is lighter on system resources (not much eye candy). Mint is based off of Ubuntu.

4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Welcome to the dark side. :)

Southpaw likes this.
  5. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    Are we still talking about when it will officially be "the year of the Linux desktop?" No? ;)

(inside joke)

Linux is everywhere, and it works beautifully. Support is better, faster, and simpler than Windows since a quick Google search will usually turn up exact step by step help (vs. having to call and talk to someone in some overseas Windows Support helpdesk). Glad you're enjoying it too!

6. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    After playing around with it for a few days, I'm definitely sold on it. I'd probably change my desktop over to Linux too if it games worked better on it (it's a gaming PC).

7. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Been using Ubuntu for about 4 years now. No way I'd ever go back to windows. And I'm nowhere near being a tech guy.

8. Eli

Eli Well-Known

Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I installed the Alpha version of Ubuntu 6.06 in April or May of '06, and have been using Linux as my primary desktop ever since. I usually use Debian with the Cinnamon desktop, which works quite well if you're wiling to tweak a bit. Cinnamon is feature-full but fairly lightweight.
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning, "Can't configure Debian!"

Eli

Davetex likes this.
  9. Sandoval

Sandoval Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    I've dabbled with Linux a bit. In fact, I have an older desktop that I'm trying to install it on. For some reason, it isn't taking. I'm tempted to put it on one of my laptops but haven't committed yet.

Is there a decent version of Linux for smartphones? I have a couple of older smartphones that I'd like to turn into mini Linux tablets.

10. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A lot of ink has been spilled over the aborted attempts made to create phone and tablet Linux versions. I suppose it can be done since Android is based on the Linux kernel but it always turns out to be much harder than anticipated.

For now, it seems that getting an Android device to look/feel/act like a miniature Linux computer is an undertaking that remains in the realm of "things Linux geeks play with for fun." If it were for the casual or new user, I'd already be there. :)

In fact, I already tried to go there, documenting my efforts here on TGT. I started off by bragging that I had ordered the new-and-boy-is-it-going-to-be-fantastic Jolla tablet. That little saga ended when, much to my shock, they actually refunded my money because they had been forced to admit they never really intended to make the product they had advertised.

The most prominent current effort in this field, AFAIK, is the Librem 5 smartphone from Purism. They got all the crowdfunding they sought back in 2017. Since then, they've mostly just repeatedly announced that the delivery date is being pushed back again. Currently projected for delivery in the 3rd quarter of 2019, my attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it."