APOD Firearms

UPS store and UPS depot in palestine texas refused to ship my long gun today..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    today i took a ruger mini 14 to palestine texas for shipment in state. they refused to do so. I began my long journey at the UPS store where some stolid gentleman told me he had "worked" for the NRA for 14 years and this was unthinkable since it was not to an FFL just a private citizen.. he quoted the NRA so i lost my temper and am afraid cussed him royally... I then proceeded to the UPS depot where the two young ladies behind the desk politely declined to accept it for shipping. I then courteously since they were females and my momma raised me better than THAT asked for the rules/policies in regards to it. I was given a computer printout which clearly stated that the shipment between dealers...law enforcement... and at the end Between two individuals where not prohibited by company policy as long as it was in compliance with the law... since it had already covered law enforcements, dealers it was clear that it did NOT prohibit the shipment. Here is where the titanic hits an iceberg though because the young lady had zero grasp of reading comprehension bless her heart. She could not see that in that paragraph.. so we called the manager.. he acted the fool (said we dont care what the law is we are just flat not going to do it) and then stormed out looking bothered. the young lady looks at me triumphantly and I see that I am fixing to lose round two as I did. I gently pressed (politely too might i add) for a more specific copy cuz the other young lady tentatively voiced her opinion that i was right but she whispered to me that she was new and i am sure afraid to make waves so i did not drag her into it.... well 45 minutes later the other ones is still demanding some 1-800 number tell her WHERE to find this but couldn't...to sweeten the deal the whole time my phone is blowing up since i was supposed to pick up my wife an hour before.... finally i left. This marks the end of any attempts i will currently make to ship a firearm. I don't know how fedex will act... they are 50 miles in the opposite direction and i already had to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest UPS store.... this is a sad sign of the times... I know you can just NOT tell them it is a gun but that is violation of ATF regs and I don't play that...those boys kinda scare me.. I just follow the rules and the rules say declare which i understand cuz the only stipulation on UPS's website ( i am there now) is that it must be declared to ups, can't say gun on the box, and must have adult signature... I WILL be calling them in the morning to file an official complaint too. I swear I am not materialistic, i never really dream of having money but I promise you if i was rich I would sue them for discrimination just to teach them a lesson and then donate the money to fed ex if i won... any thoughts on this.. anyone have a similar experience.. did I do wrong somewhere today? i feel like i did get the beginnings of an aneurysm for a minute or two there... lol... what a day
    Texas SOT

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I shipped a 1911 frame one time to get it refinished. I took it to Fed-x because I hate UPS. The lady at the counter asked what it was because it was in a plastic bag and she could see it wasn't very big. I explained what it was and she commented it wasn't a whole gun. She said she could ship it 2 day delivery and I told he it needed to be over night because it was the part that had the serial number on it. She shook her head and shipped it anyway.
    Twice I have had guns shipped back to me over night using UPS and they were shipped on Friday so they sat in a warehouse somewhere until Monday before they were delivered - late in the day. What a waste of money. One time a gun was shipped back to me by UPS and it required an adult signature. The delivery guy handed it to my 10 year old son, in the front yard and left. Another time they did the same thing only left it on my front porch all day. I called the local UPS manager each time and complained. I'm sure it was a wasted phone call.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Dcav wasn't being mean. He actually discreetly gave you advise. Puntuation and capitol letters exist for a reason as well as paragraphs. If you want people to read your stuff then make it easy on them. Push away from the screen 24", look at your post, and what do you see? I see a sea of letters.

That said, I did read it. Why would you give FedEx money won from a suit? Crazy if you ask me.

Much more to your point, I questioned the UPS (non-corporate) store in Huntsville about shipping a rifle and they weren't the least bit put off by it. The only real 'rule' was walk in with the gun in plain view and present it clearly in an unloaded condition, we'll do the rest.

If the store you went to is non-corporate as well, it may be their policy and not a UPS one. Good luck.

bwdilli

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    Piece of advice, learn the law and their policy and you'll win.

You were breaking their policy taking it to a UPS Store. You owe that man an apology. UPS won't take any firearms from anywhere but their hubs.

Should have went in informed with their policy and their 1-800 number with a contact that would explain policy to the desk help. Don't go in unprepared asking for them to explain it to you. You obviously have access to the internet. Use it to do you own research.

Why are you driving all the way from Crockett to Palestine to ship the rifle any way? Long guns can be shipped by anyone thought the USPS. Take it to your local post office, tell them what it is, and ship it legally. There's one just off the Square on Goliad. There's also post offices in Latexo, Grapeland, Lovelady, Kennard or any of the other small podunk towns around you.

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    actually atf regs state you have to declare a gun in a shipment. I don't feel like crossing those boys..they kind like smashing citizens around, especially gun owners...

I just got of the phone from UPS corporate and they NO longer ship firearms between individuals that are not either FFL or licensed ... The policy is new as of July 11, 2011.
    IT can be found under UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions it is a PDF and is section 3.6.

It is a most unfortunate policy. I am a novice at shipping guns, i usually buy them but i have never made a habit of selling them but I needed money for a sniper build, damn this economy. I did not know USPS did guns at all, every time i go in there they have signs up of what can and cannot be shipped and i admit i did ASSUME that they would not.hell they wont ship hardly anything these days since 9/11.

In regards to the person who says ups store does NOT ship guns, maybe yours does not. The one in Palestine DOES and was boxing it up till they found out it was not going to a dealer and then they refused. I of course went in and ASKED them before i went in looking like gomer pyle clutching a mini 14.....lol..

the problems was UPS depot in palestine did not have an updated copy of the rules as of July 11, 2011 when they adopted this policy.

finally, i do apologize for not posting the above first post in the rants section. where it belonged (obviously). I just kinda had a bad day and am used to venting on the net..... I do think that if someone does not want to read a post it is probably just politer to drive on and not read it.. posting what mcav did was a trifle rude but I am a big boy and fortunately have an oversized ego anyway... that being said... it was rude.

hope that info helps. Hope this post was not to long for you guys and hope the grammar fairy doesn't pack mud in my rifle barrels for all these mistakes... keep fighting for gun rights people... it won't be long before big brother makes another move against freedom... let's stick together...

peace

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    one last note... this whole thing has been a great lesson to me.

1. dont trust forum information it is usually well meant, outdated and/or good guessing...
    2. and most importantly... DO NOT SELL YOUR GUNS... lol.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I buy and sell enough guns that I have done the UPS dance. I have also had 20+ people giving me the stink-eye while the USPS person and manager conferred for 15 minutes before agreeing that it was legal. So, I understand your frustration.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    The UPS info in case anyone wants this.
    UPS Tariff dated July 2011

3.6 Firearms and Ammunition
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms
    (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and
    Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States
    Code), only (a) between licensed
    importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed
    dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined
    in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States
    Code), and government agencies,; and (b)
    where not otherwise prohibited by federal,
    state, or local law from (i) an individual to a
    licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
    licensed dealer or licensed collector; and
    (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed
    manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed
    collector to an individual. The shipper shall
    comply with and shall ensure that each
    shipment containing firearms complies with
    all federal, state, and local laws applicable
    to the shipper, recipient, and package.
    The shipper must use Delivery
    Confirmation Adult Signature Required
    service for each package containing a
    firearm (including handguns). UPS, in its
    sole discretion, may require the shipper to
    select a UPS Next Day Air® Service for any
    package containing a firearm. Handguns
    (as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921) will be
    accepted for transportation only via UPS
    Next Day Air Services.
    Firearms (including handguns) are not
    accepted for transportation via UPS Drop
    Boxes or UPS Internet Shipping, in
    response to a request for UPS On-Call
    Pickup® service, or when presented for
    shipment at any Third-Party Retailer. UPS
    Returns® Services are not available for
    packages containing firearms.
    Small arms ammunition, as defined in
    49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only
    when packaged and labeled in compliance
    with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous
    Materials). Ammunition may not be
    shipped in the same package as a firearm.
    Firearm parts, which do not constitute
    firearms as defined under federal law
    (including without limitation Title 18,
    Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the
    United States Code), and which otherwise
    comply with federal, state, and local law,
    will be accepted for transportation.
    Firearms (including handguns) and
    firearm parts are not accepted for shipment
    internationally.
    For more information, access
    www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship
    /packaging/guidelines/firearms.html or
    contact UPS.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Did everyone catch that the guy was trying to ship the rifle himself, to a NON FFL holder?

There may have been/may be some law that allows this IN STATE. But as far as I know - one must ship a gun to an FFL on the other end

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    These threads are the best reason for an individual to sell ONLY face-to-face. You may have to drive a bit but you save all the hassle of trying to intrepret the law, teach it to the shippers, deal with their policies, and...........pay out the nose to ship and insure (as well as wonder if it will arrive at all, much less on time). You also don't have to get in any discussions with internet experts about any interpretation of the laws, policies, etc.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Send an email to their customer service explaining the whole thing. Tell them you're interested in why that store doesn't want your money. I bet they'd be pretty interested, too.

By the way, as a former UPS employee, I can tell you from experience not to use them. All they care about is volume, not quality. As long as they squeeze as many packages on those trailers as possible it doesn't matter how many get destroyed. Oh, your package got broke, you say? We'll pay you $80 of its value or buy you a replacement. Irreplaceable, you say? Well, you're stuck with the 80%.

I could name a thousand first-hand instances of why they should be out of business already.

Top Bottom