• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I know one job description that is wide open at the moment. Truck drivers. All the truck drivers in Houston are quitting their jobs to work in the oil fields in South Texas. (Big money, but who knows how long it lasts.) The chemical plant where I work can't get enough trucks to get out products to market.

Generally speaking, Houston usually boasts about half of the jobs in Texas. Dallas/Ft. Worth and Austin probably make up another 30%.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I spent 3 1/2 years in upstate NY, so I know what you're up against. There were a lot of good folks (most of whom belonged to the local Rod & Gun Club), but most people have decided that they can't buck the government on anything. The taxes alone in NY will drive a person into the poor house! (Texas has no state income tax. Think about THAT on April 15.) The cost of living in NY is higher than other places because everything in the state is taxed. What do you get for those taxes that you don't get in Texas? Snow plows. That's it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I spent 3 1/2 years in upstate NY, so I know what you're up against. There were a lot of good folks (most of whom belonged to the local Rod & Gun Club), but most people have decided that they can't buck the government on anything. The taxes alone in NY will drive a person into the poor house! (Texas has no state income tax. Think about THAT on April 15.) The cost of living in NY is higher than other places because everything in the state is taxed. What do you get for those taxes that you don't get in Texas? Snow plows. That's it.

Oppression?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I left Chicago, where I was born, and moved all over the center of the US in my career. I ended up in Texas in 1992 and love it here! I'm retired now and won't leave here under any circumstances! I specified that my ashes be sprinkled in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm not going anywhere!

Flash

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There's a great sign that got posted on imgur from somewhere in the southeast. It says, "Say what you will about the South, but nobody retires and moves north!"

Top Bottom