urgent!! f-150 problems!

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by country_boy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    My uncle was driving his 98' f-150 and is having all kinds of electrical problems. While driving all the gauges went dead, windows quit, a/c quit, radio quit, lights quit, abs light is on, check engine light is on, but the truck is still driving. The truck has a cracked gas tank neck for a long time now. Has 240k miles on it. Im thinking its a big electrical problem.

2. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Maybe the alternator?

3. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Start with the basics! The alternator charges the battery and provides current for everything electrical on the truck. A bad alternator will usually result in a dead battery and immobilized truck, but sometimes will cause hell with electrical systems if the rectifier is bad and throws too much AC voltage into the system. If it was bad enough to kill systems that are low on electronics, the truck wouldn't run.

The basics? Check fuses! If they're good, you'll have to check the grounds for at least a couple of those systems.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm 100% sure it's the alternator... I got the same exact problem before on my Nissan and it was the alternator. Brake Light + Check Engine Light = Alternator in most cars out there.

5. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That, or a cell shortin' out in the battery can give the same symptoms...

6. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Fuses are fine. The truck will not crank now. Its at the ford dealer in Georgetown. What would it cost to get the gas tank fixed?

7. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

always make sure your battery posts and cables are clean.

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's probably the tube running from the filler to the tank, they break all the time on Fords. They're not cheap...

Does the starter crank the engine over?

You forgot the windows, AC and radio, though.

Japanese cars and trucks are a bit different. Most American cars won't trip a check engine light or brake light because of an alternator. Some Japanese cars apparently stay in bulb-check mode below a certain voltage.

9. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Nothing happens when the key is turned. Also, failed to mention that the truck started to miss a lot for a mile then just died. Also, the abs light tripped.

10. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Go to the nearest parts store and get a little manual for that model, will help your troubleshooting 100% . I am not conversant with Fords any more but many vehicles have a fused link in the wiring that can open, burn into that is causing a loss of electric power to nearly everything, manuals will show where in the wire bundles they are located. I had to repair a couple in my son's Vette several years ago.

It isn't proper to replace a burned fuse link with a plain piece of proper sized wire but
    where we were and the availablity was the cause of my quicky fix, no further problems but the circuits were no longer protected. Good luck...