• ...and so much more!
  • diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I’ve seen somewhere he hid a hitch in the Corps, separated and spent two years in the NG somewhere.

Given that, and even with the USCG’s funny rules, it’s odd to see a late 40s O-3 as they do have age limits for commissioning.

I’m not saying the info is wrong, I’m saying it’s odd.
    I think I read that he has about 30-years service, in all. Included enlisted hitches in the Marine Corps, and the Army. I know the Navy has LDOs (Limited Duty Officers) . . . maybe the Coast Guard has a similar program?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I think I read that he has about 30-years service, in all. Included enlisted hitches in the Marine Corps, and the Army. I know the Navy has LDOs (Limited Duty Officers) . . . maybe the Coast Guard has a similar program?

Yeah, I don’t know. I just find it odd. As in not normal. I can think of lots of ways for it to happen, but as for knowing people during my career who could swing that are few and far between.

I would be more inclined to believe a span of service over 30 years since it is known he was AD USMC at one point, then a guardsman at another point. A break in service can reset some tenure clocks that would explain a lot.

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    This update was on NBC news last night. Officer pleads guilty to gun and drug charges.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...eads-guilty-federal-gun-drug-charges-n1062101

He was in illegal possession of the pain killer Tramadol (Ultram). Which then makes his relatively modest gun collection illegal. They refer to this gun collection as an "arsenal", for which he now faces 31 years in prison. This article did not mention the silencers, which are prohibited, a misdemeanor in DC.

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    I still find calling 7 rifles, at least 3 of which are .22s- maybe 4-, 2 shotguns, and 6 pistols, at least 3 of which are .22s an 'arsenal,' to be ludicrous.

Don’t forget the scary “over 1,000 rounds of ammunition”.

Yes, I find both of those descriptive trends to be disturbing. They do not bode well for the average gun collector.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I still can’t believe how funny that is. Was having breakfast (brisket tacos) with some co-workers this morning...one has access to property near Canyon Lake we shoot hogs at.

Anyways, we’re going to overnight out there this weekend and do some shooting in the off time. The subject of how much ammo being came up and they all looked at me.

Since we’re going to do some fun shoots, I planned for 1K rounds per caliber + 50 rounds for pigs. They thought I was shitting them, so I brought out a picture of the ammo closet.

The looks I got were equivalent to the hot/crazy matrix.

I still have the invite, though.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    An average pistol match will run 150-250 rounds in a day. An average 3 gun match, something like 200-300. Big matches average on the high side of those.

Practice round count depends on the shooter, of course. People like me tend to throw about the same amount of ammo, or even a little more, in practice as we do at matches. For me, that ends up being several 1000 rounds a month for practice and plinking. Some months I go through 5-7k (with family and friends).

Serious competitors at practical/tactical disciplines will easily shoot 50k+ a year...and that's amateurs, not even necessarily pros.

A 1000 rounds isn't exactly nothing, but it sure ain't all that much.

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...eads-guilty-federal-gun-drug-charges-n1062101

This article did not mention the silencers, which are prohibited, a misdemeanor in DC.

I was mistaken, the article does refer to the silencers as being part of the illegal weapons. But does not mention that possession of them is only a misdemeanor.

Interesting that silencers are only a misdemeanor.

I could not found where I originally read that, so did some additional research and verified it in a couple places. Including this one that lumps in silencers along with a host of other dangerous weapons ( blackjack, sand club, switchblade, silencer or muffler, dagger, stiletto, or sawed off shotgun) for which the punishment is a maximum fine of $1,000 and/or up to one year in jail. Same as all other misdemeanors.
    https://koehlerlaw.net/criminal-defense-dc/weapons/

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    Another think I found disturbing is the document they have labeled as a "Hit List". The brief image that they flashed on screen was a simple 3 column spreadsheet, with text in only two columns, all of which appeared to be names. But there were no column headings or names or a document name visible that I could see. It appears to be nothing more than a list of names.

Including that one, there are a number of things that they seem to have jumped to conclusions on, such as:

spreadsheet = hit list
    modest gun collection = stockpiling an arsenal
    silencers = evil devices (which are legal in 46 +/- states)
    1000 + rounds = a threat to the entire human race

I'm not saying that there are not numerous things suspicious or strange about this guys behavior. But the prosecutor seemed to have jumped to a lot of extreme conclusions given what was expressed in the "Motion for Detention Pending Trail".

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was mistaken, the article does refer to the silencers as being part of the illegal weapons. But does not mention that possession of them is only a misdemeanor.
    I could not found where I originally read that, so did some additional research and verified it in a couple places. Including this one that lumps in silencers along with a host of other dangerous weapons ( blackjack, sand club, switchblade, silencer or muffler, dagger, stiletto, or sawed off shotgun) for which the punishment is a maximum fine of $1,000 and/or up to one year in jail. Same as all other misdemeanors.
    https://koehlerlaw.net/criminal-defense-dc/weapons/

I read it as well, and now can't find it either.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    My average range trip is somewhere around 7-10 firearms and there's usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 thousand rounds in the truck.

Weather cooperating I try and go through at least 500 rounds a week. It's just been too damn hot the last couple months to shoot that much.

With a pair of Dillon 650 presses I can crank out all the ammo I need. Since I also cast bullets I can shoot 9mm and .45 ACP for less than what most people are paying for .22 LR.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My average range trip is somewhere around 7-10 firearms and there's usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 thousand rounds in the truck.

Weather cooperating I try and go through at least 500 rounds a week. It's just been too damn hot the last couple months to shoot that much.

With a pair of Dillon 650 presses I can crank out all the ammo I need. Since I also cast bullets I can shoot 9mm and .45 ACP for less than what most people are paying for .22 LR.

Are you back shooting yet?

Top Bottom