• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    This post is half rant and half me asking your opinions.

I was doing some web surfing and evaluating a potential trade deal for an EOTech. I have an ACOG and was reading threads and articles comparing the EOTech and ACOG. I started getting the feeling that most people do not understand how an ACOG is meant to be used. What really sealed this for me was reading a post that stated ACOGs are no good for CQB due to the fixed zoom. Well I was then surprised when no one argued against that theory. When used correctly (both eyes open) the acog, to me, almost seems just as fast as a red dot. This makes coming to a conclusion difficult. Are people just speaking about something they have no experience?

I've never had an EOTech but I do have an ACOG. Currently its on my 6.8 upper, but I will be switching it over to the 556 upper thats in the mail right now. Then I'll put the EOTech on the 6.8. and look for a magnifier.

My question is what is your opinion of a EOTech with a magnifier vs ACOG? I want to set up both to be identical so I can train with the 5.56 and use the 6.8, and I am torn on if I should go look for another ACOG or EOTech with magnifier.

What are yalls opinions?
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you plan to hunt I would say go with the ACOG.

EoTechs are made for CQB and aanifier just helps the. A little at longer ranges to make target identification easier.

I run an eotech/magnifier because I want my AR to be primarily for CQB but the magnifier gives me the ability to positively identify and hit a coyote at 200 yrds where the fence line is.

If I think I got time though, I will grab a scoped rifle.

A magnifier is a compromise to make the EoTechs a little more versatile, that's about it, IMO.

If you do plan to run that setup and shoot longer distances on a regular basis I would suggest the EoTech with the range graduations. I wish I had paid the extra $50 for it when I got mine.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I do most of my shooting close up so I love the Eotech. If I was doing any shooting at or past 100 I would love an ACOG.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It turns out not everybody can do the "both eyes open" thing.

Yes, a fixed 4x is not going to be ideal for fast, close-in shooting, especially compared to one of the heads-up 1x setups like an Aimpoint or EOTech.

The magnifier thing is a compromise that's a bit kludgy. It works, but there are better options. You want the best of both? There are good 1-4x options out there that are in the same price range as an EOTech, and there are very good ones in the ACOG price range.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Not enough info to rant with you. Which power Acog do you have. They make them in 1.5 up to like 6 power. I personally do not believe my 4 power Acog would be great for cqb due to eye relief. I also +1 everything Younggun and sage said.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I have both and prefer the acog. For close up work I look over the scope and fire til threat is neutralized. With a little practice it works well. The acog is more of a battlefield optic but does fine for cq. Magnifiers are silly lol.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    I never thought about people not being able to use the Bindon aiming concept. I have the 4x version. I plan on using the rifles for hog hunting here in TX, fun at the range, and self defense, even bear defense when i got to Alaska. I have seen the 1-4x optics but I'm not a fan of having to adjust zoom back n forth and there are so many options its kinda discerning.

Codemonkey001

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Dallas
    I had an ACOG but I got rid of it bc of the really short eye relief. For me personally, I did not get in a comfortable position behind the glass. I also considered the whole EoTech and magnifier set up, but after shooting my brother's AR15 with the Aimpoint M3 and magnifier, I didn't like the weight and the flipping of the magnifier. I then chose to run a Trijicon TR24. I get 1x and I can quickly turn it over to 4x when I want to. Doesn't save me much weight but I get longer eye relief, a bright optic, and don't need batteries.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    I had an ACOG but I got rid of it bc of the really short eye relief. For me personally, I did not get in a comfortable position behind the glass. I also considered the whole EoTech and magnifier set up, but after shooting my brother's AR15 with the Aimpoint M3 and magnifier, I didn't like the weight and the flipping of the magnifier. I then chose to run a Trijicon TR24. I get 1x and I can quickly turn it over to 4x when I want to. Doesn't save me much weight but I get longer eye relief, a bright optic, and don't need batteries.

How do you like it so far, how's the transition from 1-4?
    I've avoided the variable zooms, I have a high powered one and it usually stays on the same power setting.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    This will probably echo a lot of what has been said already, Use the ACOG if you think you will be engaging most of your targets beyond 100 meters, the EoTech HWS for CQB out to 100 meters. I used the Elcan C79 scope on my C7 (Canadian M16A2 made by Diemaco) when I was in the Canadian Forces. (The civilian product name is SpecterOS3.4x) and found the 3.4 X magnification handy out to 200 meters and beyond. I currently have an EoTech EXPS3-0 HWS and a G33 magnifier on my AR and it's better for the Carbine matches we hold at my gun club which are mostly CQB. I wouldn't have bought the G33 except that we sometimes engage targets at 200 yds.

Codemonkey001

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Dallas
    How do you like it so far, how's the transition from 1-4?
    I've avoided the variable zooms, I have a high powered one and it usually stays on the same power setting.
    I had it on my 3gun rifle and I really like it. It's pretty much either 1x or 4x. I had a different purpose for that rifle, it needed to help me get hits on targets out to 300yrds when I need to.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I took the EOTech off my AR and put on a Trijicon 5.5 power with the BDC out to 600, then put an RMR up top for close in work. LOVE IT! :-)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The optical clarity of the ACOG is much better than the EOtech magnifier. Other than that it's just sorta personal preference, but even percieved optical clarity can be subjective. Whatever "feels right" to you.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I think that the real question here is fixed magnification vs variable magnification. If I am reading that wrong, I apologize.

Personally I would go with a lesser quality optic with variable magnification. The ACOG is a nice optic, I just don't like the lack of flexibility of a fixed magnification. That is why I think the VCOG is going to be such a hit.

The Eotech is a good optic, and with a magnifier you have flexibility to do short or longer range shooting. You could of course obtain the same results by adding an RMR to your ACOG setup. Just a thought.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think that the real question here is fixed magnification vs variable magnification. If I am reading that wrong, I apologize.

Personally I would go with a lesser quality optic with variable magnification. The ACOG is a nice optic, I just don't like the lack of flexibility of a fixed magnification.
    Been there, done that. For general AR tasks I've decided I like fixed power with a decent quality optic. The "lesser quality" 1-4x I have on one of my ARs (a Millett DMS) just ends up staying on 4x all the time. That's just my personal preference, tho... You're not going to know what works for you until you try several things out.

That said, I have a Leupold VX 1-4x on my .45-70 that I really like. Variable power makes more sense to me for hunting. It would work great on an AR, too. Only cost $240 but still preforms like you'd expect a Leupold to.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Personally I would go with a lesser quality optic with variable magnification. The ACOG is a nice optic, I just don't like the lack of flexibility of a fixed magnification. That is why I think the VCOG is going to be such a hit.

The Eotech is a good optic, and with a magnifier you have flexibility to do short or longer range shooting. You could of course obtain the same results by adding an RMR to your ACOG setup. Just a thought.

I agree. Handled the VCOG at the NRA Convention and it's the nicest variable power I've handled. Very well thought out design from the built-in throw lever to the illumination dial having an off position between each setting. The clarity was awesome, it's the closest to a true 1X that I've found (they claim it's a true 1X and I believe them) and so far it's the most tolerant of eye relief and cheek weld at full mag of any I've tried. I'm going to have to save up for this one.

Been there, done that. For general AR tasks I've decided I like fixed power with a decent quality optic. The "lesser quality" 1-4x I have on one of my ARs (a Millett DMS) just ends up staying on 4x all the time. That's just my personal preference, tho... You're not going to know what works for you until you try several things out.

That said, I have a Leupold VX 1-4x on my .45-70 that I really like. Variable power makes more sense to me for hunting. It would work great on an AR, too. Only cost $240 but still preforms like you'd expect a Leupold to.

I managed to finally beat my Millett DMS to death. The ocular is loose and that lets the crosshairs walk around. I found two decent dings at the objective end of the tube, though, so I can't really blame the cheap scope for puking on me. When I come up to a dump barrel at 3 gun, I'm throwing the rifle in there, even if I'm going to pull my shotgun out of the same barrel.

Probably explains why the front sight on the shotgun is bent...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom