Venture Surplus ad

Used Guns For What You Pay For New or Nearly New!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Back when I rode motorcycles, I saw the same thing with bikes. Guy would go buy a Harley and then spend several thousand $$$ on chrome trinkets and useless doodads. Then in a year or two when he got tired of spending his Saturdays cruising suburbia with Hell's Dentists, he would try to sell it for what he had spent on it.

The ones that really mystified me were the the ones who said "Have to get $xxx out of it because this is what I owe on it." What does that have to do with the value of it??? It's worth what it's worth. What you owe on it is irrelevant to the value of it.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I am one of the dummies who bought a used Bushwhacker during the craze. I paid a little high but know I won't sell it for the same. It was my fault too for selling and trading the 3 ARs I already had a few months earlier.

It's been a good rifle so I don't plan on selling it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    What about C&R firearms???

I jumped on the C&R bandwagon back in 2004 and picked up a bunch of K98's for $120, 55/66 SKS's for $99, M48's for $100, Mosin Nagants for $49 and K31's for $75.

I have sold a few of them over the past few years for tremendous gains on the investment.
    For example, I had a beater M1 Garand (SOG import) and picked it up for $400 in 2006..
    I sold it last year for $900 at a local gun show in the same condition. That's 225% the original

Some guns go up in value, and many of the newer ones such as AR's and run-of-the-mill 9mm's go down. They only way I see these jumping up in price is if there is a threat of them getting banned.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    benenglish,

Any seller can ask for any price. If he gets it - good, hell great for him.

Buyers have their own motivation such as Hoji and others have pointed out buying for reasons beyond just cost....

I have to say the input here has increased my education regarding purchasing guns......

Just Geri

Well-Known
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Ohio
    benenglish,

Any seller can ask for any price. If he gets it - good, hell great for him.

Buyers have their own motivation such as Hoji and others have pointed out buying for reasons beyond just cost....

I have to say the input here has increased my education regarding purchasing guns......
    Mowingmaniac 24/7...Good topic for a thread discussion on your part! Glad you posted it.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I get a good laugh out of this too. Prices on certain things can greatly vary when politics get involved. Yeah nobody is going to spend $1,000 on Anderson build when you could buy a nicer rifle, but let the dems get back in office again and start running their mouths again. If we get another panic like a few years ago where the shelves are empty. People will be selling their "custom" Dpms/Psa/Anderson for more than you could buy a new DD, Noveski etc..

Been there done that.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    A couple weeks ago I was visiting a friend who owns a gun store in Odessa when a guy came in wanting to trade in a Glock 17 that he had spent $800 on upgrades. He got really upset because they wouldn’t give him $1,250 trade in for it. He wanted to trade it for a new CZ pistol and get $800 cash back.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Generally, I agree. However, I can see exceptions. I have one pistol I bought for $700. One of the gripes about that pistol is the expensive magazines to feed it, so I spent $700 more on magazines.

It's a $700 pistol but I wouldn't take less than $1000 for it because I would include all those magazines.

Most accessories don't add value but I happen to believe that extra magazines do.

Reasonable viewpoint or not?
    Been meaning to touch on this.

I generally don't buy guns that have hard to find magazines so I am probably not looking at it anyways.

On top of that I don't try to buy just part of a sale unless it specifies they will separate.

That being said, accessories do add value but not what the seller paid for them. That is an issue with most prices too. People add in new prices for them but they generally don't hold value well.

Of course super rare or expensive accessories are a different story.........

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I think a seller can command any price.......

And I, the buyer can just laugh and keep looking for a better deal.

You, the seller, insist I buy your extra magazines, and I don't want them - No problem.

I'll keep looking, especially since I don't trust 'used guns' anyway.

Why not?

I've been burned by used guns.

Plus, if I buy anything, guns, furniture or a widget, if it's over 50% of new, I'll buy new.....

Oh, but they're guns and you must pay close to new for used, ah, no, no I don't.....

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like to buy used guns. Probably close to half of mine are used. Almost all I got for a bargain, usually with extra mags.

My best buy was a Sig 229 for $550, with 6 mags. It also had a Pacmyer grip on it, and had obviously had some work done to the springs, because it shot very different than my buddy's exact same gun. Lightest recoil on 40 that I have shot.

Similar deal on a Sig 228, with 6 mags. I was about to buy the same gun for $800, and got it from a guy for $450. It was tuned very nicely, immaculate bore. The guy said he was a Seal, and seemed to have the right tat for it. He told me had tinkered with it, and had armorer training. It is the most accurate semi-auto I have ever shot, and the lightest recoil 9mm I've shot as well.

I have had issues with a couple used guns I bought, but most of the ones I actually went through with turned out to be great buys. Sometimes it takes time for a gun to get broken in. And often the used gun is already, or close to broken in. Its nice to pull it out and shoot, and it shoots like a work of art.

The only used gun I paid full used retail for was one I bought from a lady who was selling guns from her husband's estate. The one in my profile pic.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Some firearms just demand a premium....Seen any Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70's on the shelf lately?

Used ones are bringing full MSRP......

Marlin Rep told me at SHOT they were going to increase production....but I am suspect of that claim....

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I think I know what you are saying.
    A few weeks ago I bought a 20ga. Ithaca Flues.
    I think it's an oldie and a goodie.
    The $400 I paid was probably less than the original price plus inflation from 1913.
    It has 2 1/2" chambers and I'm waiting for a 20ga. roll crimper. Perhaps it was a mistake but, unknown to me, I ordered it for a company in Russia. I've since learned that delivery time is a month and a half. I'm afraid I'm being thrown into some sort of collusion affair.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Some firearms just demand a premium....Seen any Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70's on the shelf lately?

Marlin Rep told me at SHOT they were going to increase production....but I am suspect of that claim....
    They’ve been saying that since they started making them.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

So, you are saying I should probably sell mine while the market is hot? Ha!

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    A couple weeks ago I was visiting a friend who owns a gun store in Odessa when a guy came in wanting to trade in a Glock 17 that he had spent $800 on upgrades. He got really upset because they wouldn’t give him $1,250 trade in for it. He wanted to trade it for a new CZ pistol and get $800 cash back.

And that guy is probably going around telling people that the gun store tried to rip him off. People like that don't seem to understand basic economics - i.e., that the store won't be open long if they lose money on trade-ins.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    So, you are saying I should probably sell mine while the market is hot? Ha!

CDNN put a new one on Gunbroker....someone bid right at $1600.00 to get it.....But CDNN auctions have been getting crazy stupid prices lately....

Top Bottom