• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    There's nothing to flame you with, I understand your point. Trying to stick to the main premise of this thread and not the notion of constitutional carry, I'll only state that getting a UT is less of a way of curtailing the TX licensing and more of a way to get more "bang" for your buck. It's like shopping for the best deal. If I can purchase a CHL that has reciprocity in 26 states or purchase a more expensive one that has reciprocity in only 8 or so, I'd choose the first for obvious reasons. Getting a UT CHL isn't about skirting the laws in TX, I see it more as TX isn't competitive enough with the product they are offering. After all is said and done, I'll have to get a TX CHL to carry concealed. I had considered the UT for the reasons I just stated - more bang for my buck.

At this point, an out of State Utah would have less States than a resident TX CHL. 6 less IIRC. Just an interesting fact.
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Well this ought to shut up that guy that usually wears a red shirt and has been hawking his Utah classes at the gun shows and lying about Brunam's HB 356 being law.

I have no issues with him selling his classes, but when he started acting like 356 is law, and all the FL licenses were about to be invalid, her crossed a line. Might have to ask him about this next show, LOL.
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB356

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    At this point, an out of State Utah would have less States than a resident TX CHL. 6 less IIRC. Just an interesting fact.

I did not know that! Is there a place to see which states are covered? That would change my thougths entirely. If Texas had just as many states or more, then that would be the CHL I'd want.

Although I do have to say I think it a moot point to even have to pay and ask for permission of what I consider an enalienable right; but I think we all feel that way to some extent.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I did not know that! Is there a place to see which states are covered? That would change my thougths entirely. If Texas had just as many states or more, then that would be the CHL I'd want.

Although I do have to say I think it a moot point to even have to pay and ask for permission of what I consider an enalienable right; but I think we all feel that way to some extent.

You can view the Utah website and compare it to the DPS site. A Utah resident license gets a few more States than we do (2 I think) but the Utah out of State loses a bunch. Some States will only honor resident licenses, which accounts for the loss.

Texas resident license beats any out of State license by a long shot. The only reason for a Texan to get an out of State is ineligibility.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The only reason for a Texan to get an out of State is ineligibility
    I call BS on that.

The reason I got mine out of state was because price, speed, and lack of hassle with taking a class again. I did have a Texas previously and decided not to renew it here. Broad generalizations like you made about ineligibility have zero basis in fact. Why would someone ineligible in Texas be approved somewhere else??? They use the same FBI check.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I call BS on that.

The reason I got mine out of state was because price, speed, and lack of hassle with taking a class again. I did have a Texas previously and decided not to renew it here. Broad generalizations like you made about ineligibility have zero basis in fact. Why would someone ineligible in Texas be approved somewhere else??? They use the same FBI check.

Different States have different requirements. Some people would be disqualified for a Texas CHL but approved for a Utah or Arizona.

Which out of State did you get? Utah still requires a class.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I got a Florida.

Almost 1/3rd the cost.

Good for 7 years.

No Class. No expense at the range.

Shooting proficiency was proved by my old Texas CHL.

Got it in the mail 33 days after I sent it in.

Not real concerned about the school zone issue, nor am I worried about getting a background check when I buy a new gun.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    There's nothing to flame you with, I understand your point. Trying to stick to the main premise of this thread and not the notion of constitutional carry, I'll only state that getting a UT is less of a way of curtailing the TX licensing and more of a way to get more "bang" for your buck. It's like shopping for the best deal. If I can purchase a CHL that has reciprocity in 26 states or purchase a more expensive one that has reciprocity in only 8 or so, I'd choose the first for obvious reasons. Getting a UT CHL isn't about skirting the laws in TX, I see it more as TX isn't competitive enough with the product they are offering. After all is said and done, I'll have to get a TX CHL to carry concealed. I had considered the UT for the reasons I just stated - more bang for my buck.
    You make a valid point. Many didn't go to the Utah license for the reasons you did.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The ONLY reason I got a CHL was for the ease of new gun purchases.

May I add that this is the most well reasoned thread on this subject (up to this point) that I have seen in some time.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I got a Florida.

Almost 1/3rd the cost.

Good for 7 years.

No Class. No expense at the range.

Shooting proficiency was proved by my old Texas CHL.

Got it in the mail 33 days after I sent it in.

Not real concerned about the school zone issue, nor am I worried about getting a background check when I buy a new gun.

For me none of those reasons are important. My feeling is that if I am forced to carry a permission slip I want it to be from Texas. I would only get an out of State if I were ineligible for a TX license. I will probably get an AZ or FL license to have as a backup however.

NICS bypass is great.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    For me none of those reasons are important

Really, not just hyperbole? You don't give a damn about money? It does not matter that it takes months longer on average to get a Texas license?? You like continually wasting a half day in class for it? You enjoy spending time and money for something others don't have to?? It's that much about what label is on a piece of plastic?? I am not advocating everyone doing it, but come one this "pride in Texas" thing is really not that sensible is it?? Did you take any business classes in school??

I think it's a lot of puffed out chest talking here. Nobody can be that frivolous with money can they, really???

I preferred to make a statement with my selection, and spend the money saved on other things. Hopefully Texas legislators will take notice, and fix this thing. I would like to have a Texas CHL, but why must it require more hoops to jump through and cost more than a comparable license from FL??

Tell me are you one of those guys who call in radio shows and claim that a .45 carried hammer down on a loaded chamber is worthless???

Word of the day children "Hyperbole", LOL

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Really, not just hyperbole? You don't give a damn about money? It does not matter that it takes months longer on average to get a Texas license?? You like continually wasting a half day in class for it? You enjoy spending time and money for something others don't have to?? It's that much about what label is on a piece of plastic?? I am not advocating everyone doing it, but come one this "pride in Texas" thing is really not that sensible is it?? Did you take any business classes in school??

I think it's a lot of puffed out chest talking here. Nobody can be that frivolous with money can they, really???

I preferred to make a statement with my selection, and spend the money saved on other things. Hopefully Texas legislators will take notice, and fix this thing. I would like to have a Texas CHL, but why must it require more hoops to jump through and cost more than a comparable license from FL??

What is the price difference between a TX renewal and a Florida license? Less than $100 I bet, over 5 years. That's worth getting the extra States that you would lose with an out of State license. To me, just NICS bypass would be worth that. And the wait time is down to a reasonable period now.

But we shouldn't argue about this. I'm not against your right to carry on an out of State license. That point I was making when I said "the only reason to get an out of State is ineligibility" was that an out of State Utah carries less States than a Texas resident CHL, contrary to some popular opinion.

By the way, if $20 a year is a burden you might try to qualify for an indigent discount.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    If Texas has reciprocity with another state, then what is wrong with a resident carrying under that same reciprocity that is accepted from someone who has no clue about the laws of this state. Laws are our responsibility to know. I see a lot of post on here from people who just got their CHL that are confused about what they were suppose to know in the first place.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    By the way, if $20 a year is a burden you might try to qualify for an indigent discount.

No it's not that, it just that I tend to look at things from all angles. Money is important, and I don't like to waste it. Roughly it costs a person 15 cents a day to be licensed to carry in Texas. My FL license costs about 5 cents a day.

I am not afraid of the background check, never had it take more than a few minutes. But lately, I have only had to do that when transferring in items from out of state. It's been easy to get some better deals face to face without that hassle.

I really wish Texas would get on the bandwagon and lower the prices, and drop the class requirement. Better yet, do like AZ, NH, and AK just drop the requirement entirely.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    If they did away with CHLs entirely I would pay for a separate permit (if one existed) to skip the NICS check...it will be the day I find a great deal 400 miles from home that I get delayed for some dumb reason and cant go back to get the gun later.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Really, not just hyperbole? You don't give a damn about money? It does not matter that it takes months longer on average to get a Texas license??
    It no longer takes months. Renewals are coming back as fast as weeks now, and initial licenses in usually a month.
    You like continually wasting a half day in class for it?
    Continually? 4 years after the first class and the 5 years after that? The once you hit #3 you only need the FOUR hour class every 10 years.
    Did you take any business classes in school??
    When you take your argument to a personal level and insinuate that someone who disagrees with you is not as smart as you it tends to make folks stop paying ANY attention to you and makes you look foolish.

That's a little dramatic, isn't it? How about your need to be educated on TEXAS laws? How much money will it cost you if you use deadly force when it was not justified because you "thought" it was, but since you never went to a Texas class or they changed the law you didn't know?

Yea, you made a statement. Along with those other Texans who refuse to get a Texas license you got the attention of a legislator who introduced a bill that would prevent a Texas resident from carrying on an out of state license. There is no legislative opposition to the bill. You will be back in a Texas class soon enough.

Tell me are you one of those guys who call in radio shows and claim that a .45 carried hammer down on a loaded chamber is worthless???
    Really? Another insult? Come on, man.

And another one, just wow.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Argue your point without the aggressive tone. There's no need for it.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    The NIX check, if the only reason to have a CHL, is worth it I guess. I do support the NIX check and would also support random searching of violent felons homes. If you compair the two, searching violent felons homes would be more productive than the NIX check in my opinion.
    I simply have way too much dislike for the Licensing BS to support the Texas CHL. I can honestly say that if Texas had the same requirement, "NOT MORE", I would never complain about the CHL requirements of Texas. I would also find it foolish for anyone to get a nonresident license.
    Untill Texas law makers get off their elitist CHL horse and compaire the Texas requirements to those of other states, people are going to complain. Im just like anyone else becuase I shop prices and availability when I buy anything. If you have to buy the right to carry in Texas, then Texas needs to be competitive with other states. I dont blame anyone one who wants to save time,money, and the hassle of extra requirements.

The question I keep asking, but nobody wants to answer, is why should Texans have requirement for us to meet that other states dont have? Is there something wrong with Texans that make it necessary for us to have "extra" requirements?
    The issue here isnt the CHL, it's the requirement that Texas Law Makers have established for us to get one. That's why I call it Elitist! If its wasnt elitist, the requirement would be less or equal to that of other states.

Top Bottom