• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    Ingram 30.06.jpg

Saw this sign at the movie theater by IH410 and Ingram (San Antonio).

One thing that I saw was that it is missing the comma in what should read : "...SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE..."

The law says that the verbiage must be identical...and a missing comma makes it invalid...right?

Anything else wrong with it?

I forgot to measure the letters.

Thanks,

Mike
    Venture Surplus ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't think you'll beat the ride on that one. Are there no other acceptable movie theaters around?

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    View attachment 27811

Saw this sign at the movie theater by IH410 and Ingram (San Antonio).

One thing that I saw was that it is missing the comma in what should read : "...SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE..."

The law says that the verbiage must be identical...and a missing comma makes it invalid...right?

Anything else wrong with it?

I forgot to measure the letters.

Thanks,

Mike

I think you would be hard pressed to prove that "punctuation" and "verbiage" are synonyms. Nor that the missing punctuation (comma) in any way alters the meaning of the required vs. printed text.

Unlike "Don't! Stop!" vs. "Don't stop!"

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    UI forgot to measure them - maybe if I can get there this weekend I'll give the sign another look.

Only went there because my daughter's friends were all going to the movies and she wanted to go along.

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I went and measured the letters: they are less than one inch. In fact, they are less than 1/2 inch. According to 30.06, that negates any effective notice being given.

My guess is that they post an inteltionally invalid sign to placate the ignorant masses.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I went and measured the letters: they are less than one inch. In fact, they are less than 1/2 inch. According to 30.06, that negates any effective notice being given.

My guess is that they post an inteltionally invalid sign to placate the ignorant masses.

IMHO, that takes it to the level of a judgement call on your part whether you want to beat the rap, but not a possible ride. Personally, since the wording appears to be precise, I would still return to the truck and look for another place to spend my money.

Still, I'd leave a sleeping dog lie, as I'm sure you've figured out based on your last above. ;)

EDIT: Went to Luby's yesterday in Cypress to meet family for Easter. Looked closely for any signage when walking in since it's been awhile. Yep, Luby's management learned a lesson from that unfortunate incident a few years back and resisted creating a "Thought Free Zone". Their "unlicensed possession..." sign is comforting for someone carrying legally.

Last edited:

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    The sign is NOT conspicuous and is VERY EASY to miss. That, and the fact that it's an invalid sign would have helped my case had I been caught carrying inside there.

I wasn't carrying, so it's a moot point.

That said, now that I know what I know what I know, I still wonder how that sign differs from a "gun buster" sign.

I know I can ignore a "gun buster" sign and, if detected and asked to leave, simply leave and have committed no crime.

I'm 50-50 whether the invalid 30.06 fits the above.

Top Bottom