• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    That said, now that I know what I know what I know, I still wonder how that sign differs from a "gun buster" sign.

I know I can ignore a "gun buster" sign and, if detected and asked to leave, simply leave and have committed no crime.

I'm 50-50 whether the invalid 30.06 fits the above.

Rest assured that a statutorily invalid sign is indeed an invalid sign, period.

But, since lack of proper signage is not necessarily a guarantee against prosecution, you could well be forced to prove that it is indeed invalid on it's technical aspects, regardless of intent. The point is, why go through that expense, regardless whether the risk is low that you won't prevail?

Unfortunately, over zealous prosecutors who are willing to push the limits of the envelope, and LEO's who aren't necessarily well informed, are a dime a dozen in today's justice system.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Those signs are magnets for homicidal maniacs and other lesser criminals. They are also an indicator the business is being run by clueless, dangerous idiots with no respect for gun rights.

Best to avoid businesses with no guns signs whether they are valid or not.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Rest assured that a statutorily invalid sign is indeed an invalid sign, period.

But, since lack of proper signage is not necessarily a guarantee against prosecution, you could well be forced to prove that it is indeed invalid on it's technical aspects, regardless of intent. The point is, why go through that expense, regardless whether the risk is low that you won't prevail?

Unfortunately, over zealous prosecutors who are willing to push the limits of the envelope, and LEO's who aren't necessarily well informed, are a dime a dozen in today's justice system.

That too.

bkj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you are arrested a judge will decide if you ‘received effective notices‘. If the judge rules you did they will go forward with prosecution. And you can explain it to the jury.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, let's assume this sign is not valid. Since Texas doesn't have OC, why would anyone know you're carrying? It ain't like you gotta go through a metal detector at a damn movie theater.

Lets say some nutjob busts into the theater and starts shooting. You shoot back. Go to court. You just saved x number of lives because you carried past their improper sign.

Personally, I'd carry. Concealed is concealed. If open carry existed, I'd leave it in the truck just to avoid being hassled/arrested over an improper sign. But that's not the case here.

$.02

superchief

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Southwest Cow Town
    if your gun gets seen or falls out, you could be charged with a class A misdemeanor. that means up to 1 year in jail and/or up to a 4000 fine. Just don't go into a place with a sign.

ShelbyV8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    I saw one of those signs at a UA theater the other day. The entire sign is about the size of a sheet of printer paper. It was stuck in with a bunch of other fliers and signs. I didn't see it until I was half way through the door. I just chuckled and went on in, if they can't post a legal sign I am not going to pay any attention to it. It means about as much as a picture of a pistol with a circle slash.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ShelbyV8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    If your gun falls out in a movie theater, you should go to jail for a year whether they have a sign or not.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Okay, let's assume this sign is not valid. Since Texas doesn't have OC, why would anyone know you're carrying? It ain't like you gotta go through a metal detector at a damn movie theater.

Lets say some nutjob busts into the theater and starts shooting. You shoot back. Go to court. You just saved x number of lives because you carried past their improper sign.

Personally, I'd carry. Concealed is concealed. If open carry existed, I'd leave it in the truck just to avoid being hassled/arrested over an improper sign. But that's not the case here.

$.02

Looking past the part about it being illegal to carry past and all, a clean shoot is a clean shoot. You're right that won't change when it comes to criminal prosecution in a justified shooting. But I don't think it will help much on the civil side of things.

It all comes down to risk and reward. Why risk breaking the law (or possibly breaking the law in some cases) when all you're really doing is rewarding a business with your money that doesn't want you to exercise your rights?

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I'll say this: the law specifically defines "effective notice." One parameter of this is the 1" letter requirement. Less than 1" = NOT legally effective notice = no different the a "gun buster" sign.

Would I go back to this theater? Probably not.

Would I disarm myself if I saw a similar sign at a different place? Probably not.

Should the management ask me to leave the premises (for whatever reason), then I would do so expeditiously.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd go somewhere else just because they made their feelings known and I wouldn't support them.

Another thought, lawyers are expensive if you have to fight the charge.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If your gun falls out in a movie theater, you should go to jail for a year whether they have a sign or not.

I feel the same about about people who make stupid posts.

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I don't have C.H.L. Thinking about it. But either way I will not do business with a place that has a 30.06 sign.
    IMO gun free zone is less than safe.

sent from the Gulf of Mexico

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom