ARJ Defense ad

VALUE of Colt's Series 80, Blue, Government Model in .38 Super??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

I've found & am buying the above pistol, with all of the factory papers, the plastic case & even the "hang tag" from the gun-shop, in AS NEW/UNFIRED condition. = Serial number 28256XX.
    (A customer service rep at Colt Firearms says that it was made in 2009.)

As I need to insure it, I was told this AM that I need a "fair market retail value" by my insurance company. - They would also like to know the original MSRP of the pistol.

Do any of you KNOW one or both of the correct answers??

yours, satx
    Target Sports

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The Series 80 models are not as popular as a Series 70. A 2009 production date makes it a relative new model. Nothing to write home about.
    I would guess $850 to $900 retail in your local gun store.
    If it was older and was a Series 70 it would be worth $1,200 to $1,500.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade. It will be a great firearm and you should have years of fun with it.
    If you don't reload, ammo may be expensive.
    I have been looking for an older Colt .38 super for some time. They are either too expensive or have too much "character".

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    OLDVET,

Actually, you are NOT "raining on" my parade, as I plan to KEEP/USE the .38 Super & carry it daily.
    (IF I found an "old school" GM in .38 Super & NOS, I wouldn't shoot it. - I have enough "safe queens" & can afford no more.)

I reload both cast & jacketed bullets, so the cost of ammo won't be great. - I started reloading ammo in 1967, when I was in college because after my dad passed away I could seldom afford "factory ammo".
    (I hunted mostly with a 1893 Spanish Mauser, that I bought for 10 bucks. FMJ ammo was then about a nickel each & it was easy to pull the bullets & replace them with SP or GCCB for hunting deer. Target shooting, plinking & hunting smaller game, like small pigs/rabbits/squirrels/coons/possums, was done with military ammo.)

Then I met/lived with April & we thereafter lived mostly off of my trotlines, set-hooks, firearms & her large vegetable garden's production.
    (She was VERY adept at selling fresh catfish to the townsfolk for needed cash for tuition/fees/books.)

Note: Despite how poor that April & I were in "things", I look back on those long-ago days as some of the happiest years of my life.
    (Then she died in a traffic accident in 1969 & the following year was truly sad.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    topduarte; All,

Since I posted this thread I received a phone call from "Paul" at Colt Firearms, who said that the pistol's "MSRP" was 837.oo in 2009.

So I now have the two answers that I need for the insurance man.

THANKS, satx

Top Bottom