Target Sports

VALUE of Colt's Series 80, Blue, Government Model in .38 Super??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

I've found & am buying the above pistol, with all of the factory papers, the plastic case & even the "hang tag" from the gun-shop, in AS NEW/UNFIRED condition. = Serial number 28256XX.
    (A customer service rep at Colt Firearms says that it was made in 2009.)

As I need to insure it, I was told this AM that I need a "fair market retail value" by my insurance company. - They would also like to know the original MSRP of the pistol.

Do any of you KNOW one or both of the correct answers??

yours, satx
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The Series 80 models are not as popular as a Series 70. A 2009 production date makes it a relative new model. Nothing to write home about.
    I would guess $850 to $900 retail in your local gun store.
    If it was older and was a Series 70 it would be worth $1,200 to $1,500.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade. It will be a great firearm and you should have years of fun with it.
    If you don't reload, ammo may be expensive.
    I have been looking for an older Colt .38 super for some time. They are either too expensive or have too much "character".

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    OLDVET,

Actually, you are NOT "raining on" my parade, as I plan to KEEP/USE the .38 Super & carry it daily.
    (IF I found an "old school" GM in .38 Super & NOS, I wouldn't shoot it. - I have enough "safe queens" & can afford no more.)

I reload both cast & jacketed bullets, so the cost of ammo won't be great. - I started reloading ammo in 1967, when I was in college because after my dad passed away I could seldom afford "factory ammo".
    (I hunted mostly with a 1893 Spanish Mauser, that I bought for 10 bucks. FMJ ammo was then about a nickel each & it was easy to pull the bullets & replace them with SP or GCCB for hunting deer. Target shooting, plinking & hunting smaller game, like small pigs/rabbits/squirrels/coons/possums, was done with military ammo.)

Then I met/lived with April & we thereafter lived mostly off of my trotlines, set-hooks, firearms & her large vegetable garden's production.
    (She was VERY adept at selling fresh catfish to the townsfolk for needed cash for tuition/fees/books.)

Note: Despite how poor that April & I were in "things", I look back on those long-ago days as some of the happiest years of my life.
    (Then she died in a traffic accident in 1969 & the following year was truly sad.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    topduarte; All,

Since I posted this thread I received a phone call from "Paul" at Colt Firearms, who said that the pistol's "MSRP" was 837.oo in 2009.

So I now have the two answers that I need for the insurance man.

THANKS, satx

Top Bottom