Visited the Holy Shrine...aka The Alamo yesterday.

NeckBeard

Apr 13, 2013
Part of my "right of passage" in becoming a Texan I guess.

One of the most unique battlegrounds ive ever visited.

NeckBeard

Apr 13, 2013
Another place i visited just before the 20th anniversary was the Branch Davidian grounds outside Waco. Some would call this a battleground as well.

IMG_6954_zpsff7873d5.jpg

jordanmills

TGT Addict
Sep 29, 2009
Pearland, TX
I dont know if its a wildly sensitive issue for Texans or they just want to move on past it, but i never hardly hear it discussed.
It's just not widely discussed. Pretty much everyone agrees that while the cultists were almost certainly doing illegal things that called for intervention of law enforcement, nothing warrants on the spot mass execution without due process and the ATF really REALLY screwed things up.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
It's just not widely discussed. Pretty much everyone agrees that while the cultists were almost certainly doing illegal things that called for intervention of law enforcement, nothing warrants on the spot mass execution without due process and the ATF really REALLY screwed things up.
That makes since i guess. Not much to discuss. From what ive read on it they could have grabbed Koresh by himself when he went to town whenever they wanted but they wanted to make a big scene and make a point.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
Sep 29, 2009
Pearland, TX
That makes since i guess. Not much to discuss. From what ive read on it they could have grabbed Koresh by himself when he went to town whenever they wanted but they wanted to make a big scene and make a point.
That's pretty much it. At the cost of dozens of likely innocent lives, including many children.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
... i never hardly hear it discussed.
It was discussed at the time, in my home. I grew up around evangelicals and fundamentalists. My grandfather was a traveling revivalist, tent included. My family was disappointed that I never fulfilled my potential in that arena.

My mom knew what thought processes were in play inside the compound. Too bad the HRT didn't. She repeatedly said "What the hell did the FBI do that for? That'll just convince the people inside even more that the end times have arrived." Over and over, we'd both look at each other and say something like "Holy Shit! How stupid was that?" because we knew in our hearts, automatically, how apocalyptic religious fervor reacts when pushed by authority.

As has been publicly documented many times since (including most damningly by the primary FBI negotiator on site whose credibility with the folks inside was deliberately, repeatedly sabotaged by the HRT), the federals involved had almost no clue. The few who did were not allowed to make the big decisions.

I hear they've learned a little more about such things since then. God, I hope so.

Kennydale

Jun 3, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
When Hil runs for POTUS in 2016 (she will because the Dems need her) remember the Branch Davidians, Benghazi the lies she told to Congress. Hilary has a way of making people disappear for good.

Top Bottom