• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Euro optic has them and a few other places. It's the 5 mil turrets and ebr3 or a moa version. If 5 mil isn't good you can have vortex upgrade it after you receive it for like $125. I need 9.1 mil for a grand right now and will only need around 7 for the next rifle it will be on.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Probably using the wrong words.
    I understand what you're talking about, but don't know the correct terminology for it either. It's like when you get the eye relief just right and the image fills your view. On some scopes that image more completely fills your view and is easier to acquire. I assume it has something to do with ocular lens size, but I'm not sure.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Old photographer checking in - Flare and chromatic aberration are completely different things.

Even from the best optics, I expect some flare if the sun is in the field of view. If a hood is attached and the sun isn't in the field of view (nor a direct reflection of it from a mirror-shiny surface), flare is unacceptable.

Any visible chromatic aberration, under any circumstances, is unacceptable.

Just my opinion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In that case, I've never had any "scope flare" issues with the sun shade attached. I just call it glare in other scopes.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Speaking of Vortex warranties, I'm putting a Vortex Sparc on a lightweight .340 Weatherby. I wonder if it'll survive? We'll find out at Hicksville. :)

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im a big vortex fan but I have had to send a couple back. One was a 6.5-20 viper PA that was doa, wouldnt zoom past 8x and wouldnt zero(ran out of windage). A 4-16 was so damn dark it was terrible. Theyre not tough scopes below the razor line. Theyre great for bench work and being very easy with them in the field. Im slowly switching over to razors or nightforce for my hard use rifles. The PSTs are an awesome value but stay away from the sharp angled objective bell models like the 4-16 and the 2.5-10x44. I was told directly by Jimmy thats why they have poorer light transmission. Ive been very happy(for the money) with my 6-24, 2.5-10x32 and 1-4 PSTs but get nervous if they get jostled around much. My 1-6 razor fell flat on the tile when the rifle fell over from the front door vibrsting the wall. It was a HARD hit right on the windage turret and zero was perfect.

Ive got two of their 4.5-27 razors coming and will be buying their razor binos and spotting scope. Theyre a great companh that supports conservation and the shooting sports with a great warranty and great people. Theyre good to go and will take care of you.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I crushed my tube when I mounted it the first time, forgot to change the torque wrench setting. Never sent it in because it has worked fine. Was creepy hearing that aluminum crush on a brand new $750 scope though.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    My guess would be chromatic aberration which the viper and pst line are known to have.

No CA was there but the main problem was the scope going completely white and unable to see anything at all.

I don't have much experience with the pst but the viper hs was definitely a bit fuzzy to my eyes but still good for the price. I have only experienced glare shooting almost into the setting/rising sun.

The 3-4 times it happened was on a rising/setting sun and I was looking in the general direction of it.

Old photographer checking in - Flare and chromatic aberration are completely different things.

Even from the best optics, I expect some flare if the sun is in the field of view. If a hood is attached and the sun isn't in the field of view (nor a direct reflection of it from a mirror-shiny surface), flare is unacceptable.

Any visible chromatic aberration, under any circumstances, is unacceptable.

Just my opinion.

In that case, I've never had any "scope flare" issues with the sun shade attached. I just call it glare in other scopes.

I tried everything, sunshade, flash kill and still had the same problem.

The straw that did them in for me was on an elk hunt. We were stalking a 7x7 bull. Finally got into a good position to take a shot. Put the rifle on the shooting sticks and could not see the animal because of the flare issue. My buddy was carrying my 308 with my Leupold Mark 4 on it. I got that from him and could see as clear as a bell. Unfortunately the elk got nervous and trotted off before we could get a shot off.

I sold that scope as soon as we got back home and now run nothing but higher end Leupolds, Swarovski and Zeiss scopes. Never had that issue with any of them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've only had an issueless that with the $50 version of the BSA Sweet 17.

Like looking through thick fog.

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    my scar17 ate one of the 2-7x32's, the reticule started turning at 80 rounds.. sent it off and they repaired it.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Please elaborate on the meaning of "scope flare". I gotta learn some time. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

There is the meaning.
    I see it on even some of my expensive Nikkor camera lenses.
    That's that the lens hoods are designed to prevent and why some scopes, vortex included, have the extended, removable lens hoods.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-50mm-riflescope-sunshade
    Happens to even the best of optics.
    Have 3 Vortex scopes (Plural form is vortices??). Never noticed it more than any other optic.

Top Bottom