Lynx Defense

Walmart ID's both me and my wife when buying beer now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... I don't understand the desire to get a person fired. The goal should be to educate them...
    Valid point and I suppose I should explain.

Normally, I'm Mr. Forgiveness. I look for teachable moments. But you know those times when someone makes it abundantly clear that they've reached a decision and nothing will ever change their mind? That was what happened.

This guy saw I was a gun owner and could not conceal his utter disgust for me. He actually threw my license back at me while demanding a different ID. I cannot easily convey the pure hatred he felt toward me but, in the moment, it was blindingly obvious.

In a case such as that, I feel that the only effective education I can provide is to assist the person in understanding that such prejudice brings with it real-world pain. Loss of employment would make that point. I can't imagine any (legal) lesser measure that could have opened his eyes sufficiently for him to recognize his own ignorance.

Normally, trying to get someone fired is a power trip by a customer who feels unjustifiably entitled. I condemn that attitude and almost never indulge in it. In fact, this ticket counter clerk is the only person I can remember right now about whom I thought "His actions clearly demonstrate he should not be allowed to hold his job."

That sort of harshness of attitude on my part is very rare but it can be brought to the surface in extreme circumstances.
    Venture Surplus ad

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I have had this happen to me on a few occasions and it infuriates me to the point I walk out of the store. A 50 year old man should not have to show ID to some 22 year old punk kid. Let them keep their half thawed ice cream and chicken

Yup, this. Oh no, an out of state ID even you're clearly older than 21 and are presenting a valid picture ID, I can't sell you no beer, mistah! Well screw you, I guess you better find somebody putting all that crap in those grocery bags bag on to the shelves.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I do not let them scan my ID. They can look at it but it doesn't leave my hand. I bought some ammo last week at Wally's and the guy at the sporting goods counter, just clicked past the age thing.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I do not let them scan my ID. They can look at it but it doesn't leave my hand.

Tried that up here in AR where I'm spending the summer fishing, and no grocery store will sell beer or wine without your DL being scanned. However, there is apparently no requirement for a liquor store to do the same, as they never even ask.
    Suspect these powers-that-be belong to national organizations like the ICMA, where they keep each other informed of the latest way to screw with the sheeple ..

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought some ammo at the local Academy store and the bimbo at the register ID'd me! She said it was their new policy. I hunted down a manager chewed some ass and told him how rude and insulting that policy was. I'll be 71 in October and I damn sure LOOK 71!

Flash

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I bought some ammo at the local Academy store and the bimbo at the register ID'd me! She said it was their new policy. I hunted down a manager chewed some ass and told him how rude and insulting that policy was. I'll be 71 in October and I damn sure LOOK 71!

Flash
    I buy all my ammo on line, and no one has carded me yet, including Academy.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I remember being able to buy a .22 revolver out of a magazine. But the downside was that you had to acknowledge the you were of age in writing!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Flash
    I bet it took you over an hour to get your panties unbunched.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

Gotta admit, I tore some ass over that and today, I might not bother.

I was undergoing the process of being declared un-useful, out of the loop and being seen as having little value. Now, after working for the gun shop on really interesting projects, I've recaptured that sense of purpose. My experience is valuable and it matters. Pretty neat!

I'm in a far different place, now.

Flash

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio

Gotta admit, I tore some ass over that and today, I might not bother.

I was undergoing the process of being declared un-useful, out of the loop and being seen as having little value. Now, after working for the gun shop on really interesting projects, I've recaptured that sense of purpose. My experience is valuable and it matters. Pretty neat!

I'm in a far different place, now.

Flash
    That's an honest and good read Roger. I've been watching that transition in my dad and I see it in my older patients. I try to value older people's experiences.

I had a crotchety old guy in the office this summer. My staff were kinda scared of him. He started bitching at me about time (we were right on time with him) and I asked him what was on his busy social calendar. He said he had to get home so he could find something else to worry about. Cracked me up. We got alone fine after that.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The age discrimination begins at about age 55 and continues non stop. Age discrimination is widespread in employment and in public, people shove you out of their way. It's pretty grim.

Now, I do most of my running around during the week when people are working and stay home on the weekends when they are off work.

This job with the gun shop has been a GodSend! I get to do original research on new calibers for AR-15 in rifles, SBR's and suppressed firearms. I just received my Notary commission and will begin to scan fingerprints and notarize documents for SBR's and suppressors.

Back to the OP, any way the retail people can insult, demean or to jack with you, put your foot down HARD! Make it uncomfortable for them and they'll quit doing it. Comply and they'll just continue.

Flash

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Back to the OP, any way the retail people can insult, demean or to jack with you, put your foot down HARD! Make it uncomfortable for them and they'll quit doing it. Comply and they'll just continue.

Flash
    Walking around with a huge chip on your shoulder is a great way to get treated like crap. I am also taking into consideration the fact that you hate women.

The girl was just doing her job and you label her as a bimbo? What did she do to insult you so terribly besides just ask to see ID?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am also taking into consideration the fact that you hate women

My best friends are women! What the Hell are you talking about? I don't want to be in a relationship or to be married but I don't hate ANYONE!

Take a hike!............

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am also taking into consideration the fact that you hate women

My best friends are women! What the Hell are you talking about? I don't want to be in a relationship or to be married but I don't hate ANYONE!

Take a hike!............

Flash
    So no response on what else makes that girl a bimbo?

I stand by my statement.

Top Bottom