• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I disagree. I can load 9mm, .45, and .308 much cheaper than I could hope to buy it. Even with the cheapo brands. Especially .45.

Haven't found .223 to be worth the effort yet.

I load .223 at less than $0.20 per round. I find it hard to buy steel cased ammo for that.

(Press and brass costs not figured in)
    Target Sports

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    That is remarkable!

If I zero out the cost of brass, it still costs me $.30 per round for my favorite load (Hornady 68 gr BTHP sitting on a 23 grain load of AA2230 and a Winchester primer.

Are you figuring today's costs?

Be well.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    True, but you already have the equipment for other rounds.

Would you really recommend someone that shoots a few hundred rounds a month to buy the equipment to start just to load those normal rounds for plinking ammo?

if he wants to reload ..yes... I did
    once you have a single stage press and a powder dump, whats a set of dies cost? $30?

some of you have a short memory, real short
    I seen some of you standing in line in front of Academy after the last big rush, waiting, hoping for anything to buy

If saving 30% on ammo wasnt enough motivation for me already, not having to scramble for it during bad times just cements it for me.
    I have not bought a box of store bought anything except for rimfire in the last 5 years

I run Hornady Vmax 60 grain for varmints. I load those for well under 30 cents each, not counting brass. I just checked and Midway has the same bullet, loaded ammo for $17 per box of 20 or .85 cents each

it's well worth it to me plus, I enjoy the time I spend doing it. I don't look at it as a chore or a waste of time. I go to my reloading shop to spend time and relax

Last edited:

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That is remarkable!

If I zero out the cost of brass, it still costs me $.30 per round for my favorite load (Hornady 68 gr BTHP sitting on a 23 grain load of AA2230 and a Winchester primer.

Are you figuring today's costs?by

Be well.

Yes. 55 gr fmj. CFE223 and winchester or cci primers.
    Plinking stuff.
    Precision stuff? I haven't found the magic yet. But I expect it to be less than federal match ammo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True, but you already have the equipment for other rounds.

Would you really recommend someone that shoots a few hundred rounds a month to buy the equipment to start just to load those normal rounds for plinking ammo?

Don't ever disagree with me again. Apology accepted.

Lol.

If they are Ok with Lee equipment I might.

If they are only willing to start out with a liberal colored press......well, that's a bad investment in the press vs volume.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I load .223 at less than $0.20 per round. I find it hard to buy steel cased ammo for that.

(Press and brass costs not figured in)

I just don't shoot enough .223 anymore to make it worthwhile.

More about time than cost. For what I shoot, I'd rather just pick up a box from time to time and throw it in the cabinet.

In all honesty, I don't even have a .223 anymore. LG does though. If I get another it will probably be a bolt gun.

Edit to add, if o get a bolt gun, I'll be reloading for it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    if he wants to reload ..yes... I did
    once you have a single stage press and a powder dump, whats a set of dies cost? $30?

some of you have a short memory, real short
    I seen some of you standing in line in front of Academy after the last big rush, waiting, hoping for anything to buy

If saving 30% on ammo wasnt enough motivation for me already, not having to scramble for it during bad times just cements it for me.
    I have not bought a box of store bought anything except for rimfire in the last 5 years
    Again, I agree. Reloading is a great hobby and having piles of components or loaded ammo is the way to go.

If you want to reload? Yes
    If you want to make match grade ammo? Yes
    If you have oddball/ expensive calibers? Yes
    If you want to learn more about ballistics? Yes
    If you want to learn more about shooting? Yes
    If you have a gun that needs a custom/ obsolete load to function? Yes
    Any of a million other reasons? Yes

If the one and only reason a person wants to start reloading is to save a few bucks on ammo for their seven range trips a year, then no. Don't bother.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I started loading just to learn the skill at first

Last edited:

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    I started loading on a Dillon 550.

Having made a few thousand rounds of .38/.45 & 9mm I'm glad I started with a progressive press. Personally I'd only recommend single stage if you're doing really low volume or precision rifle.

You can save money by reloading, but it'll take a long time to amortize the setup costs, plus I ended up shooting a lot more...

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I started loading on a Dillon 550.

Having made a few thousand rounds of .38/.45 & 9mm I'm glad I started with a progressive press. Personally I'd only recommend single stage if you're doing really low volume or precision rifle.

You can save money by reloading, but it'll take a long time to amortize the setup costs, plus I ended up shooting a lot more...

Shooting more is good.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Great Lie of Reloading - You do not save money at all.
    You still spend money like a drunken sailor at a cat house.
    It just allows you to shoot more for the same money.

edit to add: You'll know you are a true Reloader when you find yourself digging thru the trash cans at the range scamming up brass. LMAO!

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Great Lie of Reloading - You do not save money at all.
    You still spend money like a drunken sailor at a cat house.
    It just allows you to shoot more for the same money.

edit to add: You'll know you are a true Reloader when you find yourself digging thru the trash cans at the range scamming up brass. LMAO!

Hell, a lot of ranges now don't allow you to do that anymore. Most I can usually get is a grudging "Well, you can pick up YOUR brass, but stay out of the bucket!"

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Hell, a lot of ranges now don't allow you to do that anymore. Most I can usually get is a grudging "Well, you can pick up YOUR brass, but stay out of the bucket!"

When I used to live in Katy, the only place to shoot nearby was the American Shooting Centers on Westheimer in George Bush Park. You are right, they do not let you go through their brass pile... I always wondered why they do that. What a shame.

Now that I live in El Paso, most east siders that shoot frequent isolated desert clearings. The meteorite crater hole I frequent on the weekends provides me with all the standard brass I could ever want. I even find magnum brass from time to time.

To the OP... IMO the best thing is to invest in the Lee Anniversary kit (single stage) and start from there.
    You will eventually over time upgrade to turret presses, RCBS and maybe even Dillon. It is best that you learn slowly
    and get the process right. You don't want to make too many mistakes in reloading, for your gun will tell you when you made a mistake
    and almost always that mistake can be costly.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Y'all make it sound bad.

It is truer rather than I'd like to think.

If you want to dabble in reloading, then find a used kit. Most are good. The Lee kit is mostly good. I prefer the Dillon scale compared to the one in the Lee Kit.

I first got a turret press, then a Dillon 550. If I was to do it again, I would have gotten a single stage (rockchucker would be what I want, but they are more expensive than some of the others) and then either a Hornady progressive press or a Dillin 650.

I had more time than money. Now two moves later, I'm a young professional with a 3 month old. My reloading stuff is in my in-laws place. I'm contempating selling it. Every time we go through one of these ban threats, the supply of reloading equipment dries up and the stuff goes for a premium.

You don't have to start with single stage, but they are all a lot more complicated machines.

its fun, the combinations are limitless, but cost savings usually doesnt make the cut. Especially if you factor in your time.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    you had me....and then you lost me at " it will be cheaper to buy factory 9mm, .45 Auto, .308, and .223/5.56 ammo."

9mm and 38 spc cost me well under $10 a box of 50
    9mm and 5.56 just aren't cost effective to reload for plinking. With the time spent on all the case prep and reloading I could mow a lawn, use the money from that to buy the ammo, and have enough money left over for lunch and a beer.

If you do it just because you like it, I can totally understand that.

The self sufficiency part of it is definitely an attractive point. Stacking it deep when it's cheap is also a good strategy. I bought no ammo from Q3 2012 to Q4 2014, but didn't change my shooting habits very much.

We should all be buying pallets of ammo right now before 2016 ;)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I reload because I like it. Self-satisfaction, the ability to load for each particular gun and caliber for accuracy, it's interesting (for me), and I can load a caliber that is rarely available if necessary ............. those reasons keep me hand loading with a single stage. :green:

Top Bottom