• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    9mm and 5.56 just aren't cost effective to reload for plinking. With the time spent on all the case prep and reloading I could mow a lawn, use the money from that to buy the ammo, and have enough money left over for lunch and a beer.

If you do it just because you like it, I can totally understand that.

The self sufficiency part of it is definitely an attractive point. Stacking it deep when it's cheap is also a good strategy. I bought no ammo from Q3 2012 to Q4 2014, but didn't change my shooting habits very much.

We should all be buying pallets of ammo right now before 2016 ;)

Don't get paid for watching TV, but I don't add up the time and convert it to a dollar value either.

I already mow my lawn so that's doesn't apply.

I think people get too caught up in the dollar amount their time is worth when it really comes down to the fact they just don't care for the process of reloading.
    DK Firearms

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Maybe 5.56 isn't worth reloading to save money. But my time is worth the extra accuracy I get compared to the 5.56 ammo you can buy. And since I value my time, I use a progressive press. Always nice when you can crank out a couple hundred rounds of 5.56 in an hour and not break a sweat. Thats when the cost of a progressive doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Maybe 5.56 isn't worth reloading to save money. But my time is worth the extra accuracy I get compared to the 5.56 ammo you can buy. And since I value my time, I use a progressive press. Always nice when you can crank out a couple hundred rounds of 5.56 in an hour and not break a sweet. Thats when the cost of a progressive doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

My best groups with my AR so far using Varget powder are hovering around .4 inches (either case).

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I think people get too caught up in the dollar amount their time is worth when it really comes down to the fact they just don't care for the process of reloading.

Yup. If you don't enjoy reloading for the sake of reloading, then it tends to be strictly a cost factor. Right now I only "load" black powder cartridges, but I can't say I enjoy it (especially rolling paper tubes. F*ck rolling paper tubes).

Only other argument I can think of is free time, or lack thereof. Some folks work enough that they would rather spend time putting rounds down range than putting them together.

CEW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    I plan on reloading 9mm, 357 magnum, and 38 special to start with. I like to shoot quality ammo in my guns even for practice. I know that may sound strange to many. I shoot mainly Speer Lawman 9mm for now at $12.30 per 50 round box or $0.246 each round if I order 1000 rounds. Individual boxes cost a little more. I want as good of clean burning, non-corrosive ammo I can get for target practice. Right now I do not shoot as much as I want to mainly because of the cost of ammo. I thought even if I can't beat the cost of factory ammo, I can control the quality and possibly have a better round at the same or less price. Is this right or wrong? The other reason to reload was to make sure I always had ammo in case of shortages for whatever reason. Now. given that information, would you reload or buy factory?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I plan on reloading 9mm, 357 magnum, and 38 special to start with. I like to shoot quality ammo in my guns even for practice. I know that may sound strange to many. I shoot mainly Speer Lawman 9mm for now at $12.30 per 50 round box or $0.246 each round if I order 1000 rounds. Individual boxes cost a little more. I want as good of clean burning, non-corrosive ammo I can get for target practice. Right now I do not shoot as much as I want to mainly because of the cost of ammo. I thought even if I can't beat the cost of factory ammo, I can control the quality and possibly have a better round at the same or less price. Is this right or wrong? The other reason to reload was to make sure I always had ammo in case of shortages for whatever reason. Now. given that information, would you reload or buy factory?

Definitely reload. It sounds like you are wanting to start for the right reasons.

Buy in bulk and you can whoop up on factory prices.

A Lee single stage kit is an economic place to start and makes good stuff that will last many years. A single stage press is very handy even if you upgrade to a progressive.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    even if I can't beat the cost of factory ammo, I can control the quality and possibly have a better round at the same or less price. Is this right or wrong? The other reason to reload was to make sure I always had ammo in case of shortages for whatever reason. Now. given that information, would you reload or buy factory?

I reload for all the above reasons plus its a fun hobby.

I wasn't sure about loading 9mm, but after having some quality issue's with freedom's reloads (my general range food) I concluded that even though I wouldn't save much I could improve the quality.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've just got a Lee single stage - but I'm addicted to re-loading. Loading for .38 specials, .357 mags, .45 ACP are definitely worth the $$. 9mm - not so much, but it gave me a chance to try out different rounds for relatively cheap. Of the thousands of re-loads I've shot - I have had exactly two 9mm's and one .45 that failed to feed. So far, they are out performing cheapo factory ammo by a long shot.

I wanted to shoot some .38 spl wadcutters. Try to find that at the local Academy. Rolled my own (with some help from people on here) and they were good, fun stuff.

CEW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Thanks to everyone for all the great comments. This is very helpful and maybe my Christmas gift. In the meantime, I will read up on reloading ss suggested. I will keep up with future posts.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Lyman's reloading manual is a great book for learning how to reload. Don't worry about the details as you read. But follow the steps and details when you do reload, take your time and always think safety.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Lyman's reloading manual is a great book for learning how to reload. Don't worry about the details as you read. But follow the steps and details when you do reload, take your time and always think safety.
    That is the book I started with. It is very good.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Read from whatever source you want till you understand how it works, the steps involved and WHY. If you shoot IDPA or other ammo hogs, get a progressive. Else a Rockchucher or Lee Classic cast will do fine. I replaced my challenger as it wouldn't do 308W very well. I batch process brass & load ~ 200/hr. It is not plinking ammo.

Top Bottom