• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Airplane mode is such a joke they honestly should just remove it. Sure it transmits less, but it still transmits.
    You can toggle all of your radios off individually, too. Then the faraday bag prevents it from receiving anything and waking up. At least with base android. Dunno what iphone or any of the bloated androids do.
    Hurley's Gold

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Some years ago, 18 or so, I was in the shop running a signal generator, through an old AM tube radio with a shortwave band, trying to figure out how to get it working correctly. It was connected to the oscilloscope. Every 5 minutes or so the scope would track out of range, on a stray signal, a second, then gone.
    After fussing with the radio for a while, and that signal kept beating, I hooked up the frequency counter to see what that signal was. 850MHz. Cell Phone band.

Called a friend who worked for WE. He explained that as long as it was on, it was talking too or looking for, a tower. Now everybody knows this, but it was a revelation for me at the time.

Shut it off, and put it in the bag.

That's how a cell phone works. "Here I am!" "Oh hello phone, it's me, tower. You can make a call." "Nah I'm good for now, just checking you haven't wandered off yet" "OK, same, talk to you in five."

Sometimes you could hear the process in your computer speakers, especially when the phone was about to ring.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    That's how a cell phone works. "Here I am!" "Oh hello phone, it's me, tower. You can make a call." "Nah I'm good for now, just checking you haven't wandered off yet" "OK, same, talk to you in five."

Sometimes you could hear the process in your computer speakers, especially when the phone was about to ring.
    Yes indeed. I did not know about that running conversation, at the time. Watching it on the O scope was quite eye opening.
    A friend has a tube driven RIAA pre-amp with a 300b SE final amp, it picks up that signal if any of us ( our phones) are within a foot or so, when it is cranked up.

After my discovery, the phone took up residence, and travels powered down in a faraday bag.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    What phone still has a removable battery? I want one. You don't get many calls with a phone in a faraday bag.

shrug I am not a apple fanboy that needs to keep the newest phone around to be a cool kid on the block, I need something to do maps and make calls.

you act like its a bad thing not to get calls.Leave a message and I will get back with you.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    shrug I am not a apple fanboy that needs to keep the newest phone around to be a cool kid on the block, I need something to do maps and make calls.

you act like its a bad thing not to get calls.Leave a message and I will get back with you.
    All I want to know is what brand of phone still has a removable battery. I can't find one. If you put your phone in a faraday bag you won't get calls. Bad or good, I don't care and I didn't have an opinion. If you take the battery out why do you need a faraday bag? Does your phone transmit when powered off?

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    All cellphones send a beacon to find the nearest tower all the time. Wifi/internet does the same, keeping a connection alive.
    Does a cellphone that has been powered down connect to a tower? I know a faraday bag stops this. The only way a cellphone works is by connecting to a tower or wifi.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the weeds, now. Alternative just wants to know which phones have removable batteries.

Me, too, so I did some searching. Here are a half-dozen.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    All I want to know is what brand of phone still has a removable battery. I can't find one. If you put your phone in a faraday bag you won't get calls. Bad or good, I don't care and I didn't have an opinion. If you take the battery out why do you need a faraday bag? Does your phone transmit when powered off?
    You can still buy brand new flip phones.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    “History shows that the mere existence of a mass surveillance apparatus, regardless of how it is used, is in itself sufficient to stifle dissent. A citizenry that is aware of always being watched quickly becomes a compliant and fearful one.” – Glenn Greenwald

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    “History shows that the mere existence of a mass surveillance apparatus, regardless of how it is used, is in itself sufficient to stifle dissent. A citizenry that is aware of always being watched quickly becomes a compliant and fearful one.” – Glenn Greenwald
    So, they can see me giving them the finger?
    Cool.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    The removable batteries or on/in the older phones. The newer phones have a sealed battery.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    In the weeds, now. Alternative just wants to know which phones have removable batteries.

Me, too, so I did some searching. Here are a half-dozen.

Thanks for that. Not much to pick from. Had a Samsung once with removable battery. It was not very good. Newer ones have fixed installed battery and no removable sim. Not what I want.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    samsung xcover pro and a note 4 or 5 its old enough I dont remember lol.

for the most part I was being sarcastic about the faraday bag as I find this kind of conspiracy bullshit plan ass stupid as using a faraday bag.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    samsung xcover pro and a note 4 or 5 its old enough I dont remember lol.

for the most part I was being sarcastic about the faraday bag as I find this kind of conspiracy bullshit plan ass stupid as using a faraday bag.
    I was never onboard with faraday preps - all things could fail at some point. Developing skillsets and methods to thrive (not just survive) without electric gizmos seemed a better option on the mountain; no less here, imo.

Top Bottom