• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    But it's not a house, it's a giant plot of land with nothing on it that will occasionally be used for shooting on...

You can sell timber, possibly lease to hunt, and definitely lease to shoot. If you guys are balking at $130,000.00 then we need to close this joke of a thread or rename it "wet dream that won't ever happen".

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You can sell timber, possibly lease to hunt, and definitely lease to shoot. If you guys are balking at $130,000.00 then we need to close this joke of a thread or rename it "wet dream that won't ever happen".

What kind of hunting would there be on a plot of land used as a shooting range?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I pass a shooting range that is used weekly that has deer within 200yd of the berm. They get used to it.
    However, I'd guess if it's rarely used for shooting the opposite would happen.

I read one person balk at $$$ - and he ain't got no money

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

I'm just answering your question man. $130K even split up amongst 3 or 4 people is still a large commitment. That's like another car payment to deal with if you split it among 4 people at $32,500 each. Even with more people involved in the split, or lower priced land, if I had 10K laying around I'd rather invest it elsewhere more sound, like put it in a roth IRA.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I'm just answering your question man. $130K even split up amongst 3 or 4 people is still a large commitment. That's like another car payment to deal with if you split it among 4 people at $32,500 each. Even with more people involved in the split, or lower priced land, if I had 10K laying around I'd rather invest it elsewhere more sound, like put it in a roth IRA.

You gotta lot to learn brotha! Getting 3-4 people in a corporation financed for $130k wouldn't be that bad- especially if 4 people threw in 5k each for downpayment (that's 20k down). Very doable.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    $130,000 is less than a lot of houses...
    True, but getting a loan for raw land is much more difficult then its for land with a house. More than likely you will have to find 6 or 7 people who have the cash on hand to chip in on it. I'm interested in doing something like this, but don't expect me to commit to anything in the next 5 years

invest it elsewhere more sound, like put it in aroth IRA.
    You'd rather put money into an IRA instead of real property? Insanity...

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    The only reason I'm not immediately jumping on anything is that I've been unemployed for the past 6 months (without any assistance) and put a healthy dent in my financials. With the new job I should be able to save up a fairly decent chunk by the end of the year if not sooner assuming we pull together enough interested parties or find the right plot. I'm not against preparing or figuring up the logistics but can't commit to an investment until I have the disposable income for something of that size again.

$130,000 seems reasonable for the size plot we would be interested in and $5-8k each should be no big deal for an investment like that. We could expect at least another $20-50k in improvement and facilities costs if we were to build it right. Like I said though, I would be willing to also provide land-moving and other heavy machinery to cut some of those costs as well as put in my share of labor. I work for an industial supply company and get pretty substantial discounts on most materials as well.

I'd rather invest in land than anything else so I'd definitely be interested in the possibility if given enough time to get back on track financially first.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    True, but getting a loan for raw land is much more difficult then its for land with a house. More than likely you will have to find 6 or 7 people who have the cash on hand to chip in on it. I'm interested in doing something like this, but don't expect me to commit to anything in the next 5 years

You'd rather put money into an IRA instead of real property? Insanity...

I know land doesn't lose value and all, but eh lol.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Okay, just as the devils advocate/landowner perspective here: I have enough land to do something like this, but there's no way I'd go for this...

1. Neighbors: I've got to live with 'em. Having my place overrun with a bunch of FA and other centerfire firearms every weekend, with assorted "visits" during the week isn't a good way to allow them to have their peace and quiet, such as I moved out here for. They know I shoot, some even shoot with me on occasion, but too much is too much.. Unless you start talking about hundreds of acres under your control which provide a "buffer" zone, you're going to be intruding upon those peoples' lives and livelihoods (stressed cattle, anyone?) , and you should expect to get multiple visits from the local constabulary as a result.. You'd complain too if your neighbors suddenly started doing 10PM and later unsupressed night shoots every weekend..(and yes, that happens with the type of "facility" you're talking about) It's just about trying to be a good neighbor, and what you're talking about is in all probability going to be inconsistent with that..

2. the cars, etc.: Ain't gonna happen. You're basically advocating turning the land into a junkyard. That doesn't do a bit of good for land value, for the aforementioned neighbor's attitudes, potential usage for cattle, cropland, etc... Even a buttload of "unpoliced" brass and spent bullets have the same issues.. That of course would apply more to a leased property than owned, but in the long term, the problems still apply..

3. Liability: on top of the current penchant for insurance companies to just find somebody to blame instead of just paying what they owe, you are still talking about containing (or not) a rifle bullet capable of traveling miles, in a few acres.. I can handle some pretty major distances on my place, but I get REALLY particular about just who is out here pulling the trigger if it's not myself. I think the insurance premium on something like this would end up being huge.

4. Unless you happen to be one person that is exceedingly wealthy just pulling this off, buying the insurance, etc., you're going to be into quite a few problems that you may or may not anticipate: Members of a corporation change: members of a partnership don't, but does your relationship with those partners change once you've got new and unanticipated problems? There's a huge pile of variables here: are guests going to be welcome, are all of the principals, who at one level or another are financially liable, going to be comfortable with said guests? If it's a leasehold, is the landlord going to be comfortable with all of the goings-on as well?

Don't get me wrong here: I'd be all for it if you could make it work, but contrary to most urban/suburban points of view, "the country" isn't just a place to buy some land to do whatever you feel like doing: there's no quicker way to have the neighbors of the property preface every mention of your name with the words "that asshole"... There's a lot involved here, and simple logistics of berms, yardages, and distance from your house aren't and shouldn't be the only considerations on a project like this..

Top Bottom