• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    A very generous member on here gave me a Lee single stage press and dies for .38/.357. I bought primers, tumbler media, a scale, powder measures, bullets, primers, Yada Yada Ya. Had my first go-round tonight sizing and de-priming the brass I had. I can see this as addicting. According to my math, if you have the brass, the cost/round is unbelievable compared to commercial ammo.

I've got a gallon bucket full of 9mm brass - now I need some more dies. Whoo Hoo!!!
    Target Sports

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    When I was a kid, I'd go to the tire places and there were zillions of wheel weights just sitting on the ground. I'd grab up a bucket of them, take them and take them home. I'd take a 2x4 and drill 1/4" holes 3/4 of the way through, grab dad's propane torch and a tin can and start melting the weights, pour them into the holes in the 2x4 and wait for them to cool. They made awesome slingshot squirrel ammo. Since lead is a neurotoxin, you better understand my mindset.

Dad has two gasoline blowtorchs used to melt solder for the old school knob and tube wiring guys, hmm. Might need to get one or both of those puppies.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Well, I have joined the club

Great! Reloading is a whole additional hobby and it's great for those, rainy, dismal, winter days!

Get some plastic loading blocks as single stage presses load in batches. Don't let anyone tell you that single stage loading is slow. If you work batches of 50 or 100 brass, it is really fast!

I agree with the boolet casting and have done that for years. Right now, I can buy bullets easily so I do that, instead.

Please PM if you need any help!

Flash

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    A very generous member on here gave me a Lee single stage press and dies for .38/.357. I bought primers, tumbler media, a scale, powder measures, bullets, primers, Yada Yada Ya.
    Excellent - now, if you don't mind a word to the wise from someone who's been reloading ammo since he was 10:

Don't blindly trust your powder measure - after you've charged with powder, you must look inside each and every case before you place a bullet on top to make sure there's a regular amount of powder in the case. Do this eyeball scan over batches of cases if you want to, but if you don't it's gonna catch up to you. A squib load can be as little as mildly irritating or can be the first step in you blowing up your gun and losing digits/eyesight.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    It's exceptionally addicting. Old estate auctions are my favorite places to buy powder, old reloading manuals and reloading equipment nobody else knows what it is. I've bought a nearly new rcbs 110v case prep center for $10.
    Just wait for the day when you find a .25-36 marlin or run out of .350 remington mag brass, then it will start all over again, you'll learn about annealing, case forming from what's available it's fascinating how it just goes on. It truly is a never ending learning experience with infinite possible products and outcomes of those products.
    The main thing I can suggest to anybody starting out is to get a good manual like nosler, Speer, hornady etc. and read the how to reload section first, then build your skill from there.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yes Sir. People on here have been kind enough to answer most of my questions, but I don't have a feel for it yet. I'm sure after a few hundred rounds I'll get more comfortable - meanwhile, I'll just be a PITA. Starting from zero, I read posts, think about it, try it and DING - the candle comes on in my brain. It's starting to come together. I appreciate all of the knowledge imparted.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Yes Sir. People on here have been kind enough to answer most of my questions, but I don't have a feel for it yet. I'm sure after a few hundred rounds I'll get more comfortable - meanwhile, I'll just be a PITA. Starting from zero, I read posts, think about it, try it and DING - the candle comes on in my brain. It's starting to come together. I appreciate all of the knowledge imparted.

Pickup a manual like Lymans. It explains everything in plain english. No question is stupid. We've all been where you are. Be safe and always double check your loads to be safe. Even though I have a Dillon 650 with a powder check system, I still weigh all of my completed loads just to be safe.

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    I have found that reloading is an art that takes time and experience. It teaches you patience and how to deal with failure. And how to curse like a sailor. I am still a newbie so firing my reloads is an adventure. I always listen for a squib and do a barrel check after one. Had to pound a bullet out of my barrel more times than I'd like to admit.
    Christmas lists change too...like asking Santa for a bottle of Bullseye under the tree.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I have found that reloading is an art that takes time and experience. It teaches you patience and how to deal with failure. And how to curse like a sailor. I am still a newbie so firing my reloads is an adventure. I always listen for a squib and do a barrel check after one. Had to pound a bullet out of my barrel more times than I'd like to admit.
    Christmas lists change too...like asking Santa for a bottle of Bullseye under the tree.

Just one for me, but I've just started myself.

IMAG2402_zps13df7387.jpg

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Why do you guys think that happens? I've read about keeping the powder hopper pretty darn full for consistency, but that's kinda scary. The first couple of hundred rounds I'm going to load is for a used, $250 S&W revolver - not that I want to blow it up - but the stakes are lower than any other gun I've got.

Top Bottom