• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Did I mention that o got a horrible sunburn just driving out here! LOL. Espy thanks for the advice, that is my plan. I plan on staying way the hell away from rig politics and get my work done. I hope that's possible. LOL.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

Buy lots of chapstick. Your lips will dry out and bleed it's so dry out there. It takes time to get use to it.
    Gun Zone Deals

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Just in time for the weather change. The year before last it went from 102 to -18 windchill in less than a week. Last year we got over a foot of snow in mid October.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Just in time for the weather change. The year before last it went from 102 to -18 windchill in less than a week. Last year we got over a foot of snow in mid October.

That's what I heard. I picked a good time to leave my job in the AC. LOL.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Congrats on the new Job.

Good luck at your job and good luck at not getting stir crazy in the Permian basin.
    Spent 6 years there, Ugg. That's enough for me. (no offense to the OP. But I earned the right to say that...)

I have never wished for rain so much in my life. Jackrabbits big enough to car jack you. Rattlesnakes as common as crickets, but all year long. Winter so damn cold, your bones would scream.

Don't get me wrong...I loved every minute. But I also loved leaving. Can't take central Texas out of a Central Texan. Give me rain, trees, and a lake.

+1000. I move from West Texas to Georgetown when I was 16, and I was like OMG, I've been living in hell... Fell in love the Hill Country and the Austin area. Went back to Midland/Odessa for a while to start school, and moved to San Marcos to finish school. Now I'm back in the desert. For the last time. I'm planning my escape right now. And once I get back to the Hill Country, I'm never leaving again.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I'm working from the house in north Texas this week. I just had to call the RV park out north of Midland and Odessa to see if my trailer was still there. Apparently after I left it decided to flood. I've been seeing news photos of flooding all over Midland and Odessa. Over 100 high water rescues have happened so far (mostly dumbasses who don't know not to drive through water that is rushing down the street). The lady at the RV park assured me that my place is fine. Big relief!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Sorry I'm late been busy. It rained so hard for three days that my rig was riged down for 3 days waiting to move. I left my rain suit at home because it doesn't rain out here. I now have piles of muddy clothes. Today was rig move and it sucks. I'm told that the next 3 days is gonna Sounds k worse than the last 3. On sore and tired and I'm going to bed.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    that was some peice of rain, wasn't it. Thought I'd stall out for sure driving through Odessa.

Good news, Midland shooter association is one of the better ranges out there. Its also still Texas.

Bad news. . . . People can't drive worth a darn, only people working service industries are the the bottom of the barrel it seems, living is expensive, the tap water isn't potable.

Drugs are common on the rigs. . . . . stay away from them. I don't want to see you at Medical Center hospital. Stay off bussiness 20 if you can.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Odessa water will f*ck your teeth up, turn them brown. I've seen it on several folks that grew up there. Something about oxidizing or something with what's in the water. Causes brown spots. I was on a well in Gardendale, that water was harsh. It would make my skin real dry and painful after a shower, after I had been living there for a while.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Big,

Be safe...nothing less is acceptable.

Rig hands and workers in the oil patch are a rough and rowdy bunch. They will talk crap to you but that's just how they are. Don't let them get under your skin and just ride it out. It's a tradition to f with the new guy so expect them to jack with you some. A lot of their pranks involve grease and oil so just laugh it off and go on. It all washes off. They just want to see what you're made of.

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Big,

Be safe...nothing less is acceptable.

Rig hands and workers in the oil patch are a rough and rowdy bunch. They will talk crap to you but that's just how they are. Don't let them get under your skin and just ride it out. It's a tradition to F with the new guy so expect them to jack with you some. A lot of their pranks involve grease and oil so just laugh it off and go on. It all washes off. They just want to see what you're made of.

Flash

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So far I haven't seen any drugs I've heard of it but not seen it. I did find a syringe in the mud after casing and the first attempted rig move, But I think it was probably for someones diabetes. Or that's what I'm telling myself LOL. I'm learning the floor now so soon I'll be more educated haha. As far as giving me shit I've been to the reserve tank and had Gatorade in my pants once but other than that not to bad. I can run the skate efficiently and I should have most of the floor down in a week or so. And Roger that safety sentence is the first thing I was told by my tool push. Our Derick man took a little fall on the successful rig move but That was a small fall and he's fine. But it just drives home the idea that it can be anything that gets you. Some places the dangers are literally all around you above bellow and from every side got to keep watching everything always.

Top Bottom