What 22 rifle and auto pistol to buy for plinking???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    I am looking for suggestions for a 22 rifle and handgun for plinking with, nothing high dollar, just something that will be fun to play with. With the price of ammo I need something that is cheaper to have fun with.

Looked at the P22 at academy today but I have not heard anything about it so was hesitant to buy without some kind of feedback.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated

TD
    Venture Surplus ad

daddy45acp

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    central texas

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Depends on what you want and what plinking is to you.

If you want a sniper rifle that makes you feel like an accuracy freak why not try the .17 HMR in a good bolt gun? If you want to go fast and dynamic a simi auto .22lr copy of the AR15 will work. If you want to play with your gun like a Barbie there is the Ruger 10/22 to dress up.

I wish there was a .22lr version of IDPA or Sniper challenges that was more regular competition.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I enjoy my Beretta Neos w/a 6" barrel. It also has a carbine stock option from Beretta. So its like having 2 guns in 1. =)

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    10/22. Although, if you burn through ammo as fast as I do with my 10/22 you won't be saving much money. As for pistols, I just bought a Chiappa 1911-22. It took a little over 100 rounds to get it past that break in (read: constant malfunction) period, but it's become really reliable and quite accurate with the cheap Federal bulk ammo. Plus, I get practice with standard 1911 controls.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I really like my Sig 522. Close second is the conversion kit for my AR's. Both take the same mags (Black Dog, CMMG, Spikes, plenty of others). I've never owned a 10/22, don't see a need to with my current collection.

For pistols, I have to make a decision on that one myself. What I can say, from personal experience, is stay away from the P22. Here's mine:
    009wce.jpg

I don't like how that piece sticking up blocks the sights.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Depends on what you want and what plinking is to you.

If you want a sniper rifle that makes you feel like an accuracy freak why not try the .17 HMR in a good bolt gun? If you want to go fast and dynamic a simi auto .22lr copy of the AR15 will work. If you want to play with your gun like a Barbie there is the Ruger 10/22 to dress up.

I wish there was a .22lr version of IDPA or Sniper challenges that was more regular competition.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Browning Buckmark

+2 on the buckmark... really nice with a red dot sight... Marlin model 60 for the rifle...

The Buckmark is excellent. I just picked up a Ruger Mk II and am very happy with it after burning about half a bulk pack yesterday. I honestly didn't even realize I'd shot that much until I saw the bottom of the box! Whoops.

Marlin 60 is a very good and often overlooked rifle IMO. You can find 'em cheap enough used (around a hundred bucks) and are very well built. You just can't really tinker with them much...

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    Lots of great suggestions, seems like the 10/22 and buchmark led the pack. I think its time to start hitting the pawn shops, or maybe I will get lucky at Saxet.

Thanks

TD

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    .22upper for your ar and an advantage arms .22 conversion kit for your glock.

Both threaded with a suppressor . . . . Of course

Top Bottom