Join TexasGunTalk

what are the issues with the xd?

Discussion in 'Guns Over Texas Radio Show' started by tarheel7734, Apr 1, 2014.

1. tarheel7734

tarheel7734 Active Member

I have been a fan of sig, hk, and used the xd45 and xd40 in the past. Never had an issue with any of them. Talking thousands and thousands of rounds. I dont care for how the glock feels in the hand.

2. 556.45.12

556.45.12 Active Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Haters... plain and simple. The tacti-cool crowd is all hung up on Glocks. The Glock is made in Austria, arguably a more "mechanically-inclined" and not so arguably a richer country, whereas the XDs are made in Croatia, a country that most Americans think is third-world. The XD uses the much maligned grip safeties that people who have no idea how to properly hold a handgun constantly complain about. The XD hasn't been around as long as the Glock.... yadda yadda...

I was a fairly early adopter of the XD, buying the XD-45C as soon as it was released. I've had it for 7-8 years now and have put so many rounds through it that I can't even begin to remember. I shot it a lot more back when you could buy a box of 50 new JHP .45 ACP for $13 (Quik-Shoks, still have a ton of them, they're great). I'm pretty bad about cleaning my guns, usually doing a monthly checkup instead of a direct-from-the-range scrubbing. I've never experienced a single feed or ejection failure, never had a part break on me, never had a light primer strike... It just goes bang when I pull the trigger... and quite accurately at that. When I do break my weapons down for inspection, I go over them with a fine-toothed comb - I have not noticed any unusual wear or failing parts. I believe it to be one of the finest striker-fired polymer frame handguns in the world.
    I wouldn't worry about the Glock-Fanboy detractors. They don't want to admit that a gun that fills the same niche and costs about the same as their beloved kaboom-machines could possibly be better. I've shot quite a few brand new, out of the box Glocks side by side with their XD counterparts, and none of them feel right or are as accurate. Besides the grip angle that everyone goes on about, the weight distribution just seems better. Glocks have always seemed too barrel heavy to me and their grips feel flimsy.

Just my two cents...

Edited for excluded word.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    grtday likes this.
  3. Rangel

Rangel Well-Known

Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    ive never had a problem with an XD or XDm that Ive owned. Ive owned 7-8 of them from the xds up to the XDm 5.25 and they all have preformed flawlessly. I carried an xdm 45 compact, shot IDPA with my 5.25 9mm. played with the rest. my buddy did have one problem with his 5.25, the rear sights had to be cranked all the way to one direction to be accurate. He sent it back and they replaced the barrel and it was fine. thats the only problem ive personally seen in the XD/XDm line, aside some the XDS fiasco.

I carry a glock 19 though, so my opinion may not be worth anything lol

4. NOLA Jack

NOLA Jack Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I think it is funny that he asks what is wrong with an XD and he gets responses about people who like glocks.

5. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got an XDm 4.5 .40 S&W. had no problems out of it at all.

I also picked up a 9mm barrel for it. Last time I shot it , it didn't care for light 9mm loads, but I think I may have mixed up the 9mm and .40 springs, lol.

6. itchin

itchin TGT Addict

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'm on my second xd. The first was a xd9. The striker indicator broke but continued to function so I didn't bother fixing it. Its a nice gun but I prefer the g17 any day of the week. My other xd I carry daily as a truck gun. It is the xd45 service model. I like it. Functions fine and is rugged. You don't have.to hate glock to enjoy xd. I like both.

Tcruse likes this.
  7. Rangel

Rangel Well-Known

Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx

this!!!

8. Ny700

Ny700 Member

Mar 21, 2014
    My dislike for the xd is a needlessly high bore axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcruse likes this.
  9. Anger

Anger Well-Known

they're like carrying a brick. Other than that, they're awesome. Disclaimer, I no longer own one. I've owned three. Oh, BTW, my G34 point of impact is outside of the range of the factory sights adjustment. A problem I never had with any of my XD's. For the record, I had an XD40SC, and two XDM40's.

Will own an XDS45 soon enough. Just need the wife to look the other way long enough for me to plop down money for a reasonable price two-tone.

10. Leper

Leper Active Member

Sep 28, 2008
    I don't know of any issues with the xd. There are personal preferences that make some people dislike them, but those aren't issues. The sites are a pain in the ass to replace though. I could tell you the things I like, but you didn't ask that.