Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    You're much more patient than I am.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    No. I just live in a house full of girls and need a good reason to excape to the garage!

So you never go out to eat because it's cheaper to cook at home right ?
    People buy bass boats when they could never justify offsetting the cost of fish
    Sometimes we get caught up in the "paralysis of analysis"
    For me I enjoy handloading so much and having a Dillon only increased my joy of the hobby

For me I would not enjoy loading at the level I do using only a single stage

It's not that I don't see the benefit. It's that I have to explain it to my wife!
    Capitol Armory ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    About to resize and trim my .338 cases. Enough to get some rounds loaded anyways.

The Lee trimmer is servicable but a pain to get the cases in there properly. I don't expect to hear back from Lee until Monday and it will be at least the end of the week if they send a new piece out.

I will probably throw some cases into the sonic cleaner to see how it does with the primer pockets.

Oddball range brass tumbling too.

TomD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    Hamilton TX
    Loaded about 300+/- 9mm rounds with Bayou Bullets 124 gr GOLD (color anyway) bullets. Really like this color as opposed to the green which is still available as is a red. These different colors would be useful for someone loading different loads in the same caliber. I use these bullets in all my pistols.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Loaded up 50 rounds of 338 Lapua ammo for testing tomorrow.

I am in the process of decrimping the primer pockets of about 500 9mm cases. What a pain.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Where do you do your rifle testing at? And do you have a chronograph to test velocity
    I went to Hicksville the last two times but tomorrow I am going to BOTW in Liberty Hill. This will be my first trip to BOTW and I will make it my "home" range if I like it. Plus they have a 1000 yard range there too.

They are both about an hour from me. Closer ranges haven't allowed .338 or have other limitations (bench only).

I do not have a chronograph yet but plan on getting one. If I get my dope close (using rough estimates from reloading manuals) I can work my way back to get an accurate velocity but a chronograph would be easier.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Got some 6mm Creedmore brass in the tumbler right now. When done they will receive a healthy dose of H4350 and some Berger Hybrids.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I do pretty well with a Lee turret for now. I still find myself buying bulk sometimes because I just run out of time to load.

One day I'll pickup a progressive and a quality single stage for precision rifle loads. Doesn't make sense right now since I wouldn't have time to use them.

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    Loaded some 38 special. Trying to find a good light range load for 125 grain plated bullets. Loaded half with 3.8 gr of Bullseye and half with 4.3 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I know what I am going to be doing soon in the world of reloading. Taking some .338 Lapua rounds apart.

The 300 gr SMK rounds I loaded are too hot. I only shot the lightest group and that was all I needed to see. They grouped like buckshot and had flattened primers and a sticky bolt. They are all within SAAMI specs but each rifle is different.

The first group of 285gr Amaxes I loaded shot very well but felt on the hotter side too. I am going to stick with that load and take apart the higher loaded rounds of those too.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Sized and de-primed exactly 101 .357 mag cases. Bought some 110 gn bullets for those - bad choice. They need a gob of powder behind them, but they'll be fast. Bought a Plano case for 100 rounds of 9mm. Before the night is over, I'll probably size and de-prime at least 100 cases of that too.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I've been using those ammo cases for a little while but I think I'm going to take a cue from Vaquero and use tupperware or something. It's kind of a pain digging rounds out of those boxes at the range.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've been using those ammo cases for a little while but I think I'm going to take a cue from Vaquero and use tupperware or something. It's kind of a pain digging rounds out of those boxes at the range.
    Open it upside down. All of your rounds will be there all purdy and waiting for you

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ammo cans work well. It is like they were made for it.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    LOL - I've got a few hundred rounds of various stuff in tupperware. The last batch of 200 9mm rounds went into a Royal Crown bag. It bothered me so much I found enough used ammo boxes to put them in there - then I ran out of them. I swear, I have brass disease. As soon as I get 100+ rounds of brass, I must reload them. I've probably have more than I can shoot in a couple of years. Any of y'all an interventionist?

Top Bottom