Lynx Defense

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Yesterday I went out to the shop and turned on the lead pot. I was going to cast bullets. The phone rang, it was my buddy asking if I wanted to hit the range.

Lead pot got turned off. I picked up a ton of extra brass.
    Texas SOT

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have only ever used h335 for 223.

The long story short is I can trade some hazmat credit for some powder. Right now the only powder the guy has suitable for 223 is varget.

Anyone have any experience loading 223 with varget? Looks like charge weights are a little higher with the varget. Would I be better off getting a 4 or 8 pounder of varget and selling/trading locally (here) to get what I want?

Time is a factor as well so any input is appreciated.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    I use Varget for everything from 223 to 45-70. It’s the rifle version of Unique.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

The long story short is I can trade some hazmat credit for some powder. Right now the only powder the guy has suitable for 223 is varget.

Anyone have any experience loading 223 with varget? Looks like charge weights are a little higher with the varget. Would I be better off getting a 4 or 8 pounder of varget and selling/trading locally (here) to get what I want?

Like stated, Varget is a great and versatile powder. Buy as much as you can.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015

I have been loading all my .223 with varget for the last couple years. After the shortage of everything, I ran across 3 lbs of varget at a small gun store while on a road trip and bought them out.

Cast and lubed some 230 gr .45 and some .40 cal. Loaded the .45 last night (about 75).

Also picked up some 165 gr hornady interlock bullets to try in my 300 blk. Those are a definite no go! Seated a few to 2.255 OAL and chambered one. When I tried to eject it, the bullet stayed put and dumped powder all in my ar action . Knocked the bullet out and seated them to 2.210 (0.010 less than recommended) and did it again with the same result . They have now been religated to .308 duty. After cleaning all the #%@$ powder out of the action, I said screw it and ordered a 155 gr gas check mold that should be here thursday.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Reactions: rp-

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Loaded about 150 .40 S&W 185 gr cast bullets over 5.3 gr of longshot. Hopefully, one of these days, ill make it back to the range to do some shooting!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I said screw it and ordered a 155 gr gas check mold that should be here thursday.

When in doubt, cast your own!

I won a bunch of primers in a raffle yesterday but did trade most for an 8 pounder of varget and 2k primers. Should see that this weekend. Now I just need to finish trimming all my brass.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club. Members only.
    2ec2ixu.jpg

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Also picked up some 165 gr hornady interlock bullets to try in my 300 blk. Those are a definite no go! Seated a few to 2.255 OAL and chambered one. When I tried to eject it, the bullet stayed put and dumped powder all in my ar action . Knocked the bullet out and seated them to 2.210 (0.010 less than recommended) and did it again with the same result . They have now been religated to .308 duty. After cleaning all the #%@$ powder out of the action, I said screw it and ordered a 155 gr gas check mold that should be here thursday.

I gave up monkeying around with different bullets for my Blackout. I’ve been loading for it for a few years now.

I currently load 125gn Nosler Hunting BT and 110gn Barnes TAC-TX

Both fly really well.

I knocked over a nice medium sized boar at 300 and a coyote at 310 this weekend. I was shooting the Barnes. I confirmed the distance with laser range finder. They are by far the longest kill shot with this caliber for me.

Dialed 21 clicks on my scope, and let it fly. One shot each. I’m really happy.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Makes me wonder what the difference is between the 165 and how some guys load 220g bullets.

Too long maybe? Bullet shape?

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Makes me wonder what the difference is between the 165 and how some guys load 220g bullets.

Too long maybe? Bullet shape?
    Longer mpre tapered (longer ogive) bullets. I have some 110 gr sierras that have the same issue when seated to a long enough OAL. When seated shorter, they wont feed.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I gave up monkeying around with different bullets for my Blackout. I’ve been loading for it for a few years now.

I currently load 125gn Nosler Hunting BT and 110gn Barnes TAC-TX

Both fly really well.

I knocked over a nice medium sized boar at 300 and a coyote at 310 this weekend. I was shooting the Barnes. I confirmed the distance with laser range finder. They are by far the longest kill shot with this caliber for me.

Dialed 21 clicks on my scope, and let it fly. One shot each. I’m really happy.

Henry David Thoreau
    Well, my blackout is a 7.5" barreled pistol, so I wont be taking any 300 yd shots anyrime soon! It is way more accurate at 100 than i thought it would be. I bought the interlocks on a whim because they are $5-10 cheaper than the 165 gr SST's ive been running. Just looking for some cheap plinking rounds.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    If shooting subsonic is what entertains you, Try the Lapua 200gn subsonic bullet. My buddy has had tremendous results with them. Not cheap, but they are super accurate, and feed well in the rifle.

The Nosler 125 is pretty economical for plinking. That what I load them for. The Barnes is for hunting. My interest with the Blackout is for hunting, so I’ve never fiddled with subsonic. It has been lethal on pigs and predators.

Part of your feed issue, may be the magazine with the more rounded nose bullets. You mentioned some bullets not wanting to feed correctly: I had to make a slight modification to the rib in my P-Mag for them to feed flawlessly Takes about 30 second with the Dremel, and never an issue since. The rib pushed the next round over slightly, so it didn’t pick up cleanly to slide into the chamber.

Henry David Thoreau

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    If shooting subsonic is what entertains you, Try the Lapua 200gn subsonic bullet. My buddy has had tremendous results with them. Not cheap, but they are super accurate, and feed well in the rifle.

The Nosler 125 is pretty economical for plinking. That what I load them for. The Barnes is for hunting. My interest with the Blackout is for hunting, so I’ve never fiddled with subsonic. It has been lethal on pigs and predators.

Part of your feed issue, may be the magazine with the more rounded nose bullets. You mentioned some bullets not wanting to feed correctly: I had to make a slight modification to the rib in my P-Mag for them to feed flawlessly Takes about 30 second with the Dremel, and never an issue since. The rib pushed the next round over slightly, so it didn’t pick up cleanly to slide into the chamber.

Henry David Thoreau
    Thanks. The bullets I was using have a big flat nose and a short ogive. In order to prevent contact with the lands, I had to seat them VERY short OAL. As in 1/4 inch from the magazine wall. They just wouldnt work. Hopefully the mold I ordered works great because I have a couple hundred lbs of lead ready to melt!

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    My new mold came in today. Cast up 109 "155 gr" (after gas check and lube, 160-165 gr) bullets. Cast, sized and gas checked then tumble lubed them with 45-45-10 (Delux Liquid X-Lox) lube from White Lable Lube. They are now drying till tomorrow.

Turns out I have close to 350 lbs of lead. Each ring in the second to last pic weighs over 11 lbs (maxed out my scale) and I have 28 of them plus access to a couple hundred more if needed!

Last pic is a tool I built for cleaning the pour spout on my lead pot. Works great as a sprue knocker as well! Its built out of a small piece of broom handle, a 1/4" npt pipe nipple and an 1/8" drill bit. Makes a really handy tool for casting!
    c319845f3bc7cea9e8c27cd1941082a2.jpg
    d5a817f9f8440e9b13a279b647a95ad7.jpg
    59b4018e24af537bd098d9c17a0d8b30.jpg
    4ee2a966b9cd3cd6bba4304adec42cc1.jpg
    5e93f251fd0575933da0c83ce260a09e.jpg
    9fdb812952ab425d095e8153a6b637a9.jpg
    e8c4baea7c41c05a4d8839d210c82fa2.jpg
    ceb20d613228eeaad44b984ab1dac8fc.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Resized a few once fired 204 Ruger brass with a brand new Hornady die
    The expander ball is very hard to pull through, I deformed the shoulder on two pieces until I started using mica powder lube

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    My new mold came in today. Cast up 109 "155 gr" (after gas check and lube, 160-165 gr) bullets. Cast, sized and gas checked then tumble lubed them with 45-45-10 (Delux Liquid X-Lox) lube from White Lable Lube. They are now drying till tomorrow.

Turns out I have close to 350 lbs of lead. Each ring in the second to last pic weighs over 11 lbs (maxed out my scale) and I have 28 of them plus access to a couple hundred more if needed!

Last pic is a tool I built for cleaning the pour spout on my lead pot. Works great as a sprue knocker as well! Its built out of a small piece of broom handle, a 1/4" npt pipe nipple and an 1/8" drill bit. Makes a really handy tool for casting! View attachment 134354 View attachment 134355 View attachment 134356 View attachment 134357 View attachment 134358 View attachment 134359 View attachment 134360 View attachment 134361

Are those rings pure lead?

Top Bottom