Target Sports

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I usually use the Folgers plastic coffee cans, ~38oz, which work well as long as they’re not stacked over two high.

Well I found one full of once-fired 223 so after coffee in the morning I’ll be swaging primer pockets while my 9mms are tumbling.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Ok somehow this accidentally got posted in the reunion thread. It was meant for this one.

I've been thinking about buying a Dillon 1050. I know start small yadda yadda but buy once cry once.

The 1050 is an awesome machine IF and it's a big IF you load lots of one cartridge AND need the swaging capability.

Caliber changes are expensive and take time.

But, if ya got your heart set on one I might know where there's a used one that's set up for processing 223 brass and turning it into 300 Blk brass.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Ok somehow this accidentally got posted in the reunion thread. It was meant for this one.

I've been thinking about buying a Dillon 1050. I know start small yadda yadda but buy once cry once.
    Do I need to go copy my reply to that thread and put it here?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Dillon fan, but most people don't need anything as elevated as a 1050. I have a 550 and load from 9mm to 45-70 on it. Thinking about trying a precision rifle round on it just to see how well it does.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The 1050 is an awesome machine IF and it's a big IF you load lots of one cartridge AND need the swaging capability.

Caliber changes are expensive and take time.

But, if ya got your heart set on one I might know where there's a used one that's set up for processing 223 brass and turning it into 300 Blk brass.

I mostly want it for 223 loading. The caliber changes will always be expensive but they will save you a ton of money in the end. I don't know enough about reloading to know why that's a big deal when you start talking 10k or 20k rounds a year.

I know the kits for conversion of calibers on a 1050 are like 500 bucks.

Do I need to go copy my reply to that thread and put it here?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Dillon fan, but most people don't need anything as elevated as a 1050. I have a 550 and load from 9mm to 45-70 on it. Thinking about trying a precision rifle round on it just to see how well it does.

I did read your quote I just wanted to make sure everything was here.

I don't know how many rounds people are loading. I dont think the savings would be enough on 9mm initially but long term it would be. 223 much quicker since I tend to go through more of it when I go out to the ranch. The other caliber I'd eventually be loading is 6.5 Grendel.

Just seems to me when you start talking round counts in the 10k range go big or go home. I also don't have the time to sit at single stage presses. a 1050 can pump out 600 rounds an hour if you automate it correctly.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You need to think bigger than 10k to justify a 1050. Maybe 10k/month. I have a 550 and no case feed or bullet feed and can run 3-400/hr. So 10k is 25-33 hours. I have a 650 with a case feed that I haven't even set up yet. Either of those is <$100 to change calibers plus dies.

I think a 1050 would be nice but just can't justify the cost.

My 2 cents worth, spend it wisely.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I mostly want it for 223 loading. The caliber changes will always be expensive but they will save you a ton of money in the end. I don't know enough about reloading to know why that's a big deal when you start talking 10k or 20k rounds a year.

I don't know how many rounds people are loading. I dont think the savings would be enough on 9mm initially but long term it would be. 223 much quicker since I tend to go through more of it when I go out to the ranch. The other caliber I'd eventually be loading is 6.5 Grendel.

Just seems to me when you start talking round counts in the 10k range go big or go home. I also don't have the time to sit at single stage presses. a 1050 can pump out 600 rounds an hour if you automate it correctly.
    You could buy a 550 and a 750 for what the 1050 costs. Neither of those are single stage presses. I usually load a couple hundred rounds at a time, and it takes me about 30 minutes on the 550.

But if your heart is set on a 1050, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    10-12k a year doesn't really justify a 1050 or 1100. You could do everything you need to do...except swaging...with a 750 and a pair of toolheads.

Swaging is a one time deal.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    @DancingHeretik
    These are what I have but really only use the pistol one.
    It failed me on 9mm: dropped in/out of gage but failed plunk test.
    If you’re spending buy a case gage per caliber, pass the “group gages” imho.
    View attachment 206801
    Those are Lyman ammo checkers. They should be the most accurate for completed ammo. When you say the plunk test are you referring to dropping into a barrel? Case gauges don't really measure case diameter but measure case length and help set sizing die properly. Theoretically if the case is sized the diameter will be correct when you place it in a case gauge. I would be curious as to how a commercially loaded 9mm did in your Lyman ammo checker and then in your plunk test. I guess you could have a bad Lyman ammo checker or your barrel may be off. Hard to tell. Interesting problem.
    I have a case gauge for everything I load and I like to pop every cartridge I load into the gauge. For pistol the case gauge to me is like an ammo checker. For rifle though a case gauge is not an ammo checker.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Out of all the calibers I reload for, reloading the .223 cartridge is at the bottom of my list. The amount of preparation that goes into each case before reloading even on a progressive press is time-consuming and in my opinion yields low numbers for semi-auto applications. It can easily take "me" an hour to reload 100 rounds from start to finish.
    - Preliminary size and de-cap (single-stage)
    - Trim to length
    - Swage primer pocket (if necessary)
    - Wet tumble and dry
    - Using progressive press size again
    - Prime, charge, seat, crimp
    - Verify loaded round with cartridge gauge

Done

Now take those 100 rounds to the range, and they are gone in 20 minutes... I prefer to buy my plinking rounds of .223 in bulk and save my progressive press (and time) for pistol cartridges.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I’ll second the 550 or 750 over the 1050, unless your talking 10K rounds/mo of production or you no kidding have to have the auto drive. Then you’ve got options like the Mark VII XL750 or 1050.

Top Bottom