Lynx Defense

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I gift wrapped 10 308 rounds I made for a buddy of mine. They are marker rounds that supposedly have a tiny charge of something that indicates when hitting a hard target. I weighed them before putting them over 43.5gr of imr4064. However after doing some serious powder crunching I backed off .3gr to load the rest.

They all weighed between162-165gr but man they are long. I guess whatever magical concoction is inside them is not very dense.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I thought it would be a while before I saw anymore small pistol primers! But gun Jesus smiled on me!
    b01e3b3ad95871af622acffa97308610.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGHinds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    Houston
    I got my bench cleaned after a long entertainment center project build. Getting ready to load up some home cast 147gr 9mm and some home cast 200gr SWC to dial in a load for my newly acquired Les Baer 1911.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I got my bench cleaned after a long entertainment center project build. Getting ready to load up some home cast 147gr 9mm and some home cast 200gr SWC to dial in a load for my newly acquired Les Baer 1911.

I really need to watch this casting process to learn how it's possible to do this and what it requires. I'd be very interested to know.

SGHinds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    Houston
    I really need to watch this casting process to learn how it's possible to do this and what it requires. I'd be very interested to know.
    It’s not really hard. Melting lead into a mold, powder coating is my preferred method of “lube” and then I use basic Lee sizing dies to size them. I cast for everything I shoot.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Who knows, I picked it off the top of a 55g drum we were push through sizing.
    I thought this was going to be a Glock bulge. This is supposedly the reason Lee manual says to not reload .40 shot from a Glock. I don't know if newer Glocks have more support or not. I don't know if other guns have unsupported chambers in .40.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I think it was gen 2 and gen 3 40cal pistols that did that.
    Remembering why 40 is my least favorite caliber to load from fired brass.

Not so bad, right? View attachment 237864

Wrong

View attachment 237865

Sad.
    Deavis, are you sizing them forwards or backwards? I heard you should size them backwards (base first) to push the metal back forward.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Ive never seen it that pronounced. Then again I don’t shoot .40 and the only Glock I have that uses a factory barrel is my Glock 20. But I load my 10mm pretty hot and it’s never done that to the cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I think it was gen 2 and gen 3 40cal pistols that did that.
    Deavis, are you sizing them forwards or backwards? I heard you should size them backwards (base first) to push the metal back forward.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Dumb question on my part but how do you size a .40 case backwards?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Dumb question on my part but how do you size a .40 case backwards?
    For true straight-wall cases, there are "push-through" dies and tools from various sources. The link was for Lee products. Here's the Redding stuff in use:

Note that both the Lee and the Redding are designed to have the mouth of the case fed into the die. You specifically asked about sizing backwards. I assume by that you mean shoving the base of the case into the die first. For push-through sizing, that always seemed to me like a more logical way to do things. The only tools I know of designed to do that (I'm sure other tools can be adapted to work like this, but I have no experience doing that.) are by Magma. They have a manual version for less than $400.

They also have a fully-automated push-through sizer for somewhere on the far side of $6K but I don't play where the air is that thin.

Top Bottom