DK Firearms

What do include in a bug out bag for TEXAS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Well if anybody lives in texas they know the weather is very hot, then sometimes freezing, then sometimes in the middle. I only have money for a bug out bag for myself sadly :(. I am a teenager and i want to be prepared, unfortunately the rest of the family disagrees, they say "Oh why would you even think like that". Sad to say that the eldest son is the only one wanting to be prepared. But anyways what would you pack in your bug out bag?

I have the clothes down, but for the rest of the bag? Food,water,shelter,protection,(not condoms but weapons etc)

From the dome this is what comes to my head: Flashlight,550 Paracord, Protein bars, machete,knives, waterproof matches, some sort of shelter. What else? Please fellow Texans help me out. Hopefully the answers can convince the family to prepare their own bags aswell. Thanks!
    Lynx Defense

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Toilet paper, duct tape, mosquito spray, sun block.
    Plan for 2 gal water capacity in jugs or bottles, other than that the usual bob lists will do fine. Throw the matches away and replace with disposable lighters and a "metal match". A wood match lights one fire. A lighter lights hundreds and with 6 lighters or so one can fail you...
    You need a good knife or three and a way to sharpen them. What would a cowboy have 150 years ago? How about a mountain man 200 years ago? Replace those items with modern multi function equivalency.

You also need to practice and keep sharp skills. Can you make a fire easily? Set a trap? Build shelter? You got to practice.

I found a medium black duffel bag to be very handy.

DaRedneck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out Uncle Bob's go bags. You don't have to buy one from him if you already stared on your bag but you can see what all he puts in his. Plus he is here local in Houston... well in Dickinson. They are expensive though. I agree about the lighter. I'd carry the lighters and the WP matches.

UncleBobsGoBags.com

• 1 Each, Voodoo Matrix Assault Pack
    • 1 Each, 2.5-Liter Hydration Bladder
    • 3 Pairs, Nitrile Gloves
    • 1 Each, Head Light
    • 1 Each, Kelly Kettle "Trekker" Cooking Kit
    • 1 Bag, Waterproof Matches
    • 1 Each, 25 Gram pouch Quick Clot
    • 1 Each, P-51 Can Opener
    • 1 Each, 50 Ft. Length Para cord
    • 6 Packets, (24 Servings) Emergency Food
    • 1 Each, Roll Duct Tape
    • 1 Bag, Plastic Eating Utensils
    • 1 Each, Israeli Battle Dressing
    • 3 Each, N95 Masks
    • 1 Pair, Work Gloves
    • 2 Each, Chem. Light
    • 1 Each, Multi-Tool w/Knife
    • 1 Bottle, Tincture of Iodine
    • 1 Each, Whistle, Compass, Thermometer
    • 1 Each, Signal Mirror
    • 1 Each, Emergency Crank Radio
    • 1 Each, First Aid Kit
    • 1 Each, Roll of Medical Adhesive Tape
    • 1 Each, Katadyn MYBottle Water Filtration
    • 1 Each, Bottle Hand Sanitizer
    • 1 Each, Emergency Blanket

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Generator and a/c unit

BOB: You might also think about a first aid, multitool and maybe a water filter. You can only carry so much water.

Skills: Everyone should know how to sharpen a knife on a small stone or other small sharpener.

Family: I'd not talk about zombies, collapse of society, etc. I'd just mention the most common disasters like hurricanes and tornadoes. They're common and they should be prepared for in Texas, especially Sugarland. Remind them of the last hurricane that just came through and the need to have water and some basic supplies ready.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    One forty-five caliber automatic
    Two boxes of ammunition
    Four days concentrated emergency rations
    One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
    One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
    One hundred dollars in rubles
    One hundred dollars in gold
    Nine packs of chewing gum
    One issue of prophylactics
    Three lipsticks
    Three pair of nylon stockings

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    After surviving hurricane Ike... THE most important thing (IMO) is several high quality flashlights and a good stock of batteries. Nothing helps like light in the dark.

A generator
    And some vodka are handy as well.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Two boxes of ammunition
    One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
    Three lipsticks

Sounds like you're getting ready for Spring Break in San Francisco.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by codygjohnson
    Two boxes of ammunition
    Three lipsticks

Shoot! A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

YouTube - ‪Dr. Strangelove: Check List‬‏

Well done codygjohnson, well done

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Sorry for the post again. but what about firearms? In a couple of years i can purchase rifles,shotguns etc. We do have a handgun for home defense but i dont think that will cut it out there?

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    You'll save on space and weight using survival straws instead of the Katadyn bottle system. As long as the water is not turbid (which is easy enough to rectify) you can easily draw 20-25 gallons through a survival straw and have the same level of protection.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    TexasBoy, you may want to start a little smaller, like a "get home" bag for your car. Once that basic preparation is made, you can then add a BOB with more long term kit and expendables.

I think the next step up from a pistol is a good rifle or shotgun. You can get a decent shotgun for a few hundred dollars, and might be a good choice to consider. Take time to learn how to shoot it in different disciplines from wing shooting (skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc.), slugs and close in defense work with buck shot and slugs. You will have a versatility in ammunition that is hard to beat. Mossberg and Remington all make inexpensive set ups that would be ideal, not break your piggy bank, and you can purchase at 18. After that, I would go for a good semi auto rifle in either 7.62mm or 5.56mm. What ever you choose, make sure you spend ample time learning to run the gun and get proficient with it.

Drop me a PM or email and I will send you a list and a picture of what I carry.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You'll save on space and weight using survival straws instead of the Katadyn bottle system. As long as the water is not turbid (which is easy enough to rectify) you can easily draw 20-25 gallons through a survival straw and have the same level of protection.

Yeah, just depends on how much water output you think you'll need. I'd also like to have the capacity to crank out some clean water, especially if my family wasn't on board and all of a sudden needed water. I have both.

Of course, my BOB is three black foot lockers since there's 6 of us I can get 'em in the back of the suburban in like 30 seconds though. Not a biggie.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Old topic.

In Texas, you don't "Bug Out." You stay put and take advantage of all the preparations you made before the crisis.

Food.

Water.

Medicine.

Arms & Ammo.

Communications.

Electrical Generation.

Try to bug-out and all the Free-Loaders will be waiting for you.

If you live in a flood-prone area or any place subject to hurricanes, move now.

Did we not learn from Katrina and other natural disasters?

The next disaster will be man-made, and will be far worse than any Hurricane.

Sit tight, prepare, and be ready to defend your ground.

Be well.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Yeah, just depends on how much water output you think you'll need. I'd also like to have the capacity to crank out some clean water, especially if my family wasn't on board and all of a sudden needed water. I have both.

Of course, my BOB is three black foot lockers since there's 6 of us I can get 'em in the back of the suburban in like 30 seconds though. Not a biggie.

Yep, certainly depends on a lot of factors and what your bug out philosophy is. My idea is to get out of Dodge and be as mobile as possible to increase my chances of arriving at my bug out hide in one piece and as fast as possible.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    For flashlights I found that the disposable ones that use hearing aid batteries (Accadamy seems to sell them off at around a buck every few months) work very well for most of the tasks you will need a light for. The advantage? you can store about 30 of them easily. I have them attached to the sides of my packs, first aid kit, shelter,water carrier, attached to zippers on jackets, attached to shirt pockets and in pants pockets. These coupled with a good high intensity beam will see you through a dark night or two. Leave them in the original package till you need them.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Bug spray. Top priority. Always.
    Ammo. Lots.
    Map of Texas. 1) So you'll know where you are, and, 2) so you don't accidentally leave the only state still worth defending.
    Poncho. Sooner or later you'll be glad you have it.
    Condoms. Older guys can use them to keep mud out of the end of the barrel. Younger guys, well, never send that little soldier out without a helmet.
    Whiskey. For snake bites. Might think about taking a snake, too, just in case.

Top Bottom