What do you guys think about the new Ruger LCR .38 Revolver?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by A_FIVE-O, May 31, 2009.

1. A_FIVE-O

A_FIVE-O Active Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I miss owning a revolver and thought the new Ruger LCR would be a good "next buy". What are your thoughts on it? Has anyone shot it yet?

Link:

Ruger LCR? - Overview

2. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.

I haven't shot one before, but I do believe Ruger makes very good revolvers.:2cents:

3. wayneside

wayneside Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I was hoping someone put up some experience as I was looking at one @ Academy a few days ago...

4. A_FIVE-O

A_FIVE-O Active Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo

Wayneside,

How much are they selling it for? I think I can get it for around $300 from Ruger direct off of agency letterhead purchase. I'll have to call and see.

5. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I think they suck. I fired one with standard .38 loads, and it was too hard on the hand...and I am not a "recoil sensitive" person. A lighter gun is fine, but this one is too light. It's like the .38 round is going off directly in your hand. I would hate to fire +P out of it.

I have not found any customers that are totally happy with theirs yet.

6. TxSteel54

TxSteel54 New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Northeast Texas
    I havent shot a Ruger LCR but I do carry a S&W Airweight Model 642 (which is very similar) as a backup weapon when I'm on duty. For that purpose, I like mine but Vellcrow does have a point that those small guns definately pack a punch.....it's not TOO bad but the first time I shot it, I realized that you really have to have proper grip and trigger control to shoot this gun accurately.

7. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    I'm guessing it's the grip that makes the recoil so bad? My wife has a 38 special from Charter Arms and the recoil is surprisingly soft for such a light weapon. It has a full size grip on it, and the recoil is less than my 9mm Hi-Power. It's actually fun to shoot, but since hers is pink, I don't shoot it much.

8. tex45acp

tex45acp Active Member

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I love my Rugers......heck I have 5 of them, but that is one ugly revolver and if I were given one for free I would give it away to another or trade it on one of ruger's other fine looking revolvers. No LCR for this Ruger fan!!! Please keep in mind that this is my humble and very negative opinion!!!

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I also have a 642. I like it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a gun that size.

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I agree, to me its just a bad eyesore in the Ruger catalog.