• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    so im in the process of researching cleaning materials for cleaning my rifle, im wonder what yall prefer to use and what has been good to yall over the years.
    Texas SOT

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    so im in the process of researching cleaning materials for cleaning my rifle, im wonder what yall prefer to use and what has been good to yall over the years.

i used to just breakfree clp, now i use froglube. have to look at my barrels and see if i need a copper remover.

I use the ultrasonic cleaner harbor freight sells. TexasRedneck got it for me 2 years ago and works flawlessly.

heard about that stuff, not sure i want one though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Remoil, clp, or the hops#9 oil, hardly ever use a bore cleaner but when I do its hops, may get some breakfree for the .22 pistol, been tryin to see how dirty I can get it and it's gonna be pretty nasty when it starts jammin up.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    I'm using up my last bottle of Hoppes maybe. I just can't decide if I should buy some more since CLP does a good enough job.

If I get a used gun that's exceptionally dirty, I'll take it ALL the way down to every last pin, spring whatever and clean it real good with a detergent like engine cleaner and a toothbrush.

Joseph Bell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    x10000000000 on the FrogLube, hell I liked it so much I became a dealer of it. I have a review of FL used on my Kimber Custom II on my webpage, I am not supposed to post my web link yet (waiting on meeting the requirments) but if you want to PM me I will send it to you...

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    A patch with Kroil down the bore followed by a bore brush, then patch after patch until they come out clean...I do have a can of GI bore cleaner and some Hoppes but Kroil seems to do the job. I usually use a non steel cleaning rod, a Tipton or if using a steel rod as in Mosin and AK there is a cup that goes on the cleaning rod which goes over the muzzle and prevents that steel rod from touching the rifling which if not done, may cause the rifling wear that kills accuracy.

I inherited a real cherry Winchester Model 1895 which some uncles had shot after WWII with corrosive ammo but had cleaned and prevented corrosion witha steel cleaning rod. When I took it to the range it would hardly put a round on the paper at 100 yards, and I discovered that the first inch of the muzzle was ruined by such cleaning. To repair this I had to remove an inch and a half of barrel, recrown it and install another front sight mount w/sight.
    This destroyed the collector's value but it is a good shooter now and I will keep it until it's passed on to my survivors.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Breakfree foaming bore cleaner, then Hoppe's Elite to get the cooper out, then a tiny bit of oil (been using Militec-1 lately) to preserve the bore in storage. Or a liberal amount of Breakfree Collector if the gun's going to sit in the safe for an extended period.

Ruger74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Splendora,Texas
    Breakfree foaming bore cleaner, then Hoppe's Elite to get the cooper out, then a tiny bit of oil (been using Militec-1 lately) to preserve the bore in storage. Or a liberal amount of Breakfree Collector if the gun's going to sit in the safe for an extended period.

I've seen that Breakfree foaming cleaner advertised. I'm going to try it

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom