• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    Bought this beautiful girl, at least to me.
    A Savage 110E .270 Winchester!
    She’s not all that great looking compared to the modern rifles of today, but I bet she’s as accurate if not more so than most.

Hawk
    82048d59ffdf739b88769b4981173223.jpg

6e83938fdb0242bd7da39ad03c1b1cf1.jpg
    I think she is pretty darn sexy myself. I find myself gravitating back to wood and steel rifles and pistols more and more.
    Hurley's Gold

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    I’ve got a 110 in .270, and it is an amazing rifle. She will shoot sub MOA if I do my job. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!
    That’s the great thing about the “older” Savage 110’s, they shoot like a house on fire!!
    What load does your Savage 110 .270 like the most?
    Back more than 30 years ago, I read an article by John Sundra, and he was evaluating a Savage 110 in .308 Winchester. He noted, that even though the .308 was usually a short action cartridge, the Savage was still a long action, and when he did his preliminary shooting before writing the article, he noticed that Savages tend to like the heavier bullets than the lighter ones for stated calibers. He wasn’t wrong, because the pics that I remember, he used the whole range of bullet weights for that test, 150 - 200 gr, and that .308 loved the 172 - 180 gr bullets. It grouped them into just a hair over .5 inches!
    After reading that article, I went out, and being a greenhorn Airman in the Air Force, bought myself the Savage 110 combo, in 7mm Rem Mag, and bought the Federal Red Box, 175gr bullet loads. It took to that bullet selection like a duck to water! My first string of groups was .75 of an inch! WOW!
    That sold me on Savages right there!
    So, I’m hoping this .270 will like the 150 gr bullets! I’ll do my part and still run 130’s, 140’s, and 150’s through it. We’ll see what she likes!

Hawk

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    I think she is pretty darn sexy myself. I find myself gravitating back to wood and steel rifles and pistols more and more.

I do too!
    This one was going to have another barrel put on her, but there isn’t anything wrong with the it has on it now. Actually, the barrel is almost perfect. I don’t think that it’s been shot all that much.

Hawk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Thank you!
    That’s the great thing about the “older” Savage 110’s, they shoot like a house on fire!!
    What load does your Savage 110 .270 like the most?
    Back more than 30 years ago, I read an article by John Sundra, and he was evaluating a Savage 110 in .308 Winchester. He noted, that even though the .308 was usually a short action cartridge, the Savage was still a long action, and when he did his preliminary shooting before writing the article, he noticed that Savages tend to like the heavier bullets than the lighter ones for stated calibers. He wasn’t wrong, because the pics that I remember, he used the whole range of bullet weights for that test, 150 - 200 gr, and that .308 loved the 172 - 180 gr bullets. It grouped them into just a hair over .5 inches!
    After reading that article, I went out, and being a greenhorn Airman in the Air Force, bought myself the Savage 110 combo, in 7mm Rem Mag, and bought the Federal Red Box, 175gr bullet loads. It took to that bullet selection like a duck to water! My first string of groups was .75 of an inch! WOW!
    That sold me on Savages right there!
    So, I’m hoping this .270 will like the 150 gr bullets! I’ll do my part and still run 130’s, 140’s, and 150’s through it. We’ll see what she likes!

Hawk

Don’t think I’ve tried anything that was heavy for caliber, like 150 or bigger. I wanna say the heaviest I’ve ran through it were probably the 140 grain Interlocks. I’ve been using the Hornady 130 grain interlock in my reloads for hunting, and for a soft point hunting bullet, they are pretty consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom