• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I thought I was anal...vacuum seal ammo, date it, nah, I'm waaaaaaay too lazy.

If it shoots, great, if not, I'll keep chamber-ing rounds until it does.

(though, I do rather admire you seal-a-meal-er-cartridge guys)
    Canon Shroud Ad

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I assumed that you have similar stored quantities as myself.
    What is the typical quantity in a sealed pouch of handgun ammo?
    Do you also have case size sealed pouches?
    Just curious.
    I normally seal each box of ammo individually. For 9mm and 45 ACP one 50 round box fits perfectly in a one pint vacuum bag. If I buy a case, I will break the case down and seal all 20 boxes individually. 45 Colt and 10mm takes a quart size bag. For the 223/5.56/300 BO, I can fit 3 twenty round boxes in a pint bag.

I did buy 500 rounds of loose packed 300 BO once. I split it up into 50 round bags.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Interesting .
    Are you saying that you take the ammo out of the "holder" and put it in loose.

No OOC, sorry I realize it's a prime opportunity, lol.

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    I put it all in ammo cans and label them. It makes range day a lot easier. I just replenished the 230 Gr HP with Remington silver tips. The can was getting low and shipping was free on 500 rounds.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I put it all in ammo cans and label them. It makes range day a lot easier.

Same here. I don't have room for it all in one place. This is one location.

37466336230_a7e2e4fe51_c.jpg
    IMG_1948 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152171653@N05/

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    150 rounds of Fiocchi 45 ACP police trade in. $13.49 a box. Two boxes came with the plastic carrier broken, but the ammo was fine. Transferred it to an MTM ammo case. Vacuum sealed it for storage, as I do with all my ammo. Well, except for the loaded mags.

View attachment 151609 IMG_2236
    Why vacuum seal it? How long do you plan on storing it? Have you had issues that can be linked to moisture?

Just curious as I have never seen the need personally.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Why vacuum seal it? How long do you plan on storing it? Have you had issues that can be linked to moisture?

Just curious as I have never seen the need personally.
    At my age, it's definitely overkill. I just started vacuum sealing ammo about 5 years ago. Never really had any problem with storage before when I just kept it on a shelf in the closet. But I also never had more than a hundred rounds on hand of each caliber before that.

Now I keep a much larger inventory on hand and vacuum sealing seems like the best way to keep it fresh. It stays bright and shiny and new looking.

Heck, I even vacuum seal some of the firearms that I don't shoot very often. Yep, even Grandad's old 1892 Winchester rifle. I guess I just like vacuum sealing stuff. :)

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    You realize that vacuum sealing retains moisture, do you include a desiccant with the weapons?
    I put a desiccant pack in with the old rifle, but not the pistols. I give them a good coat of lube before I seal them up. My Dad's WW II bring back 8mm Roth-Steyer pistol has been sealed up since February of 2008. It's not showing any signs of rust. I have a Rohm Model 63 that's been sealed since December, 2006. No rust on it either, at least that I can see through the clear plastic. My Ruger Blackhawk had been sealed up for 5 years before I took it to the range last time. It came out looking just like the day I sealed it up.

I think the vacuum does reduce some of the moisture in the air. And, I don't seal them up if the ambient relative humidity is above about 50%. My room AC usually brings it down into the 40% range.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I put a desiccant pack in with the old rifle, but not the pistols. I give them a good coat of lube before I seal them up. My Dad's WW II bring back 8mm Roth-Steyer pistol has been sealed up since February of 2008. It's not showing any signs of rust. I have a Rohm Model 63 that's been sealed since December, 2006. No rust on it either, at least that I can see through the clear plastic. My Ruger Blackhawk had been sealed up for 5 years before I took it to the range last time. It came out looking just like the day I sealed it up.

I think the vacuum does reduce some of the moisture in the air. And, I don't seal them up if the ambient relative humidity is above about 50%. My room AC usually brings it down into the 40% range.
    I think you’re addicted to vacuum sealing.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Available moisture in the atmosphere is reduced using the vacuum sealer since most of that atmosphere is removed...hence the vacuum.

Now how much vacuum ? Hard to tell unless you had a gauge to see during the evacuation process.

Any pressure in the bag less than the ambient outside pressure will collapse the bag around the object inside..

The question I have is a good source of the vacuum seal bags or rolls. My older sealer is also showing its age....time to start looking for a new one.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Interesting .
    Are you saying that you take the ammo out of the "holder" and put it in loose.

No OOC, sorry I realize it's a prime opportunity, lol.
    Bad idea pops
    In the event of a recall (slim but possible)you will never know what's good or bad

Last night while drinking I bought another Bulgarian splice ak mag.
    Like so
    2dtsyuh.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The question I have is a good source of the vacuum seal bags or rolls. My older sealer is also showing its age....time to start looking for a new one.

I get mine from Amazon. These are cheaper and better than the Food Saver brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSST17...colid=AWLOT5KHO12E&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSSLWIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rolls

https://www.amazon.com/FoodVacBags-...540136862&sr=8-14&keywords=vacuum+sealer+roll

This is a much better machine than the Food Savers. But much pricier too.

https://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-01..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=89E0HF9YAYCVB9JS0NSQ

Top Bottom