DK Firearms

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Damn, sorry to hear about the setback. It'd be cool to run a mile event, but I won't go until I have something worthy of making a showing somewhere near the middle of the pack. Kinda tough to get there when I'm being cheap and a responsible adult though ;)
    Setbacks are part of race wars..... Hopefully I can try again next March. I would shoot for October but I have another little one due that weekend.

My goal is a trap speed in the 170's. That is the slow end of the middle of the pack I suppose. There were a couple other Mercedes that ran, a e63s wagon did a 175 and a c63s did a 171. I would like to best that with my "old benz"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Have you been playing with the rear end gear ratio? What rpm was it at when it blew up? I know nothing of the mile race but I'd figure steeper gears would keep the motor out of red line while keeping the speed.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Have you been playing with the rear end gear ratio? What rpm was it at when it blew up? I know nothing of the mile race but I'd figure steeper gears would keep the motor out of red line while keeping the speed.
    Stock ratio is a 2.65. I plan on a 3.28 when I get the top speed bug cured. Stock top speed would be 200+, 3.28 will keep me topped out in 5th sub 200's. (Probably 180 something with out checking gear calculator)

The pull is kind of hazy at it goes fast and you are keeping your eyes forward. I had some cash into a legit wide band data log setup that of course did not get the fatal run. What actually triggered the failure will never be known. Usually they crunch ring lands and just develop a miss. The whole bottom end is forged from the factory so in general it is pretty tough. Rare to actually window the block.

I was working with the tuner to get the setup dialed in for a later run that would actually be a full pull. The one that failed was suppose to be a coast across the line around the 160 mark but she popped instead. (Licence process for the event is a controlled run 150-160, 190-200 and 220+). All I remember was seeing the AFR at 12.1 in high 2nd gear, as it shifted into 3rd it dropped to 11.5 and I went for it (110mph). Next look down confirmed the 11.5 AFR holding and the needle at the 160mph mark. Then it was a "bup bup bup" and it went quiet with LOTS of smoke out of the rear. Gently off the gas, off to the right side of the runway and gentle brakes until it stoped.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Here is a snippet from last year's event. It is a interesting artifact about speed events that as you go faster it takes more power on a parabolic curve. You will see all sorts of spoiler / drag wing setups. Guys taping off all the seams and vents, pulling mirrors and whatever they can come up with. The 2 biggest factors are how slippery from the factory (the e class I have is actually extremely low at .26) and horsepower. The top speed motorcycles (250+) are turbo / nos and usually in excess of 5-700hp.
    559a9b4529e89b9c66de1be3791d004b.jpg

The guy with the fastest car is a ford GT that is a 2500+hp twin turbo alcohol fueled monster. M2K motorsports built.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Stick a nose cone and boat tail on that camaro and see what'll do.
    Not enough! I keep hemming and hawing over doing a few little mods to the car, but again I'm being cheap. The car would be pretty fun with a basic bolt-on setup. Blower, LT4 fuel pump, LT4 injectors, long tubes, converter, driveshaft, flex fuel sensor, and a tune. On E85 that seems to reach around 600 to 650 to the tires pretty reliably.

ETA: Camaro is still bone stock. It's pretty quick to the triple digits, but really slow once there. I can't imagine it'd run a mile much north of 150mph if even that, based on seat of the pants.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Not enough! I keep hemming and hawing over doing a few little mods to the car, but again I'm being cheap. The car would be pretty fun with a basic bolt-on setup. Blower, LT4 fuel pump, LT4 injectors, long tubes, converter, driveshaft, flex fuel sensor, and a tune. On E85 that seems to reach around 600 to 650 to the tires pretty reliably.

ETA: Camaro is still bone stock. It's pretty quick to the triple digits, but really slow once there. I can't imagine it'd run a mile much north of 150mph if even that, based on seat of the pants.

What is factory claimed top speed of vehicle?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    What is factory claimed top speed of vehicle?
    EDIT: Confirmed it, electronically limited to 180mph, but appears to be drag limited down to about 172 in more typical weather.

I believe it's governed to 120. Then is starts shutting off the injectors. Turn that feature off and it's wide open. So whatever the speed would be at 7000 rpm with a final drive ratio of 2.77.
    EDIT: See above

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I don't remember either. I turned it off when I got it home. 140 is about as fast as I had mine too.

170 is officially hauling major a$$.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Well crap. I was cornered by a neighbor about her car. It's doing a Johnny Cash. One head light sometimes work, sometimes doesn't. The other head light is starting to do the same thing.

I've looked at it before. It was the duct tape that somebody used to tie wires together that had me walking off. She's gotta get it inspected so the ghost of duct tape has to be dealt with. Joy-joy.

The tank and seat on the motorcycle has to come off. The air injection valve was removed and a dash light comes on. (It injects air into the exhaust to help burn extra fuel. It's a pollution thing only on U.S. Suzuki. Some europe models have the system deleted.) To turn off the dash light, I have to mess with a solenoid that activated the air injection valve. It's deep in under the gas tank. No biggy. I've ran the gas in the tank down so it won't weigh 30#.

Might pull the spark plugs while I'm at it and see how they're doing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Now I can say the fork seal is fixed. After all I did. It was option #3. Different brand of seal. I took it all back apart. The previous seal didn't fit or wasn't manufactured to the correct size. It started to drip from the outter dust cover. No matter how I installed it, it leaked. The new-new seal is working. I got pretty good at pulling the fork. Sticking the new-new seal in, oil level and back on the bike. 20mins.

Might as well change the oil in the other fork. Now that I know what's going on. Might go up a weight in the oil for both. From 10w to 15w. Little bit firmer on the forks...

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Not a vehicle but it will greatly help working on them. I started building a workbench for the shop.

20180331_164214_zpslo0vamwd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• bdc117915e097ce261ea51bd391398b7.jpg
      bdc117915e097ce261ea51bd391398b7.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 119

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I want to build a table. That's gonna be nice.

About a week and a half ago, I got my old plates in from the dealership. I thought to myself "sweet - I'll put them with my other old license plates" and tossed them aside still in the mail envelope. I pulled them out of the envelope today to put them with my other plates, and out came a vehicle registration. I don't remember giving them that...hmmm. Looked closer - they got my new truck registered to my old plates. I've been driving around for at least a week now with those things sitting in the office. lol The black and white plates look good on that black truck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Washed the 94' camaro. It's gotta go away. Time to sell it. I have too many big toys. Need smaller toys that fit the driveway better.

Top Bottom