APOD Firearms

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    They give you a $1 discount for on line renewal, but then there is an additional $2 fee for doing it on line. Also, they tack on $4.75 for processing and handling. What the.....?
    No, if you pay online the total fee is $1 less. I checked my registration stuff for my F150, $74 if I paid in person, $73 if I did it online, if I went to the supermarket (they do it) there is an additional fee, I don't know how much. On line does save a big $1, enough for two 9 mm rounds of fmj.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    No, if you pay online the total fee is $1 less. I checked my registration stuff for my F150, $74 if I paid in person, $73 if I did it online, if I went to the supermarket (they do it) there is an additional fee, I don't know how much. On line does save a big $1, enough for two 9 mm rounds of fmj.
    I'm sure the registration fee varies from county to county. My Sonoma/S10 was $74.50 including the 1$ online discount. But they also charged me an additional service fee of $2, which was charged to my debit card separately from the $74.50

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I'm sure the registration fee varies from county to county. My Sonoma/S10 was $74.50 including the 1$ online discount. But they also charged me an additional service fee of $2, which was charged to my debit card separately from the $74.50
    What they mailed me was a total bill of $74 (That was April 2021- I didn't get the one due right now). I did it online, they billed me $71 and a separate fee of $2. Total of both was $73 which was $1 less than if I had mailed a check. So, on line did save me $1 for each vehicle. Yes they do charge a $2 service fee but they make the total bill $1 less. I just checked my account on Discover card and that was correct (looked back to April).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't care if it is just an oil change. You don't want anyone making $7/hr to touch your machinery.

^^^^This!^^^^

One of the worst places for an oil change is Walmart.

The quick oil chance places are hit or miss. Some are great, some are downright scary.

Best place for an oil change is an independent auto repair shop. Your vehicle's dealership, is another good place, but can be expensive.

If you are mechanically inclined, DIY of course. Probably the cheapest route for most vehicles is doing the job yourself.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Your vehicle's dealership, is another good place, but can be expensive.
    The dealership is only a half notch above Walmart. The person doing oil changes at a dealership is the newest or most disliked guy in the shop. Dealerships have a high turn over rate, too. Those guys who should never touch anything of a customer's (regardless of industry) bounce around from dealer to dealer until they finally land at Walmart or Jiffy Lube.

Couple exceptions to that is Porsche and Toyota. I'm not really sure what Porsche does; I'm guessing they only hire people with an impeccable work history. Toyota on the other hand is merciless on poor service department reviews.

Last edited:

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Remember the dealership is probably using minimum wage for oil changes. Wife took her MB 11 mo old suv in for oil change for a trip cost 300+ and before she got home that car (just shy of six figures) went up in flames in middle of the street.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I get my truck back later today. My mechanic picks up & delivers!

New catalytic converter
    New tie rod
    Flush radiator
    Check gear box & rear end
    Replace belt tensioner
    Change out cabin filters
    Reattach rear view mirror
    $2,822.11

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Went looking for new tires. $197 each. Ouch!

Lots of manufacturers are fitting old fart cars with high performance tires these days.
    I saw a 4x4 the other day with 20 in wheels and those little funny tires. It was lifted too.

Top Bottom