• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i've had a few consent search requests declined......it happens. if you have PC, then you go get a warrant

if you dont, then you move on!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    In follow-up to Rum Runner, I know a lady who took her car into an auto shop to have something or other repaired. When she came to pick up the car she found a mechanic asleep in the driver's seat. Suspicious of this, she searched her car for contraband when she got home. She found a bag of cocaine under her seat.

Little unpredictables like that are the reason I advise people not to consent to searches.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I dont care if someone wants to consent or not. Worst case is his car doesnt get searched... if I have something "meaty" to run with I will develop PC...if I cant develop PC, I will move on in most cases.

I think this thread is making alot out of an issue that is rarely ever an issue.

Trying to show the officer (who does thousands of traffic stops a year) that you are smarter than him is a losing proposition.

The number of police doing illegal searches is miniscule.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Trying to show the officer (who does thousands of traffic stops a year) that you are smarter than him is a losing proposition.
    Declining a search is not a passive aggressive move or directly aggressive move or motivation. Its a simple exercising of my rights to keep me safe. Just like the officer wants to be safe.

I understand it's easy to develop PC. Too easy if you ask me and is almost abusive but that's their authority and I'll yield to it. I just won't consent to a search if given the option.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I think this thread is making alot out of an issue that is rarely ever an issue.

Agreed, but it's best to be prepared and know your rights. That's all I'm trying to say.

Your perspective seems to be that you don't ask for consent because you don't need to, which I wish more cops would do . I have no problem with moving aside for PC but asking me to consent just puts me in an uncomfortable position. Can't fight a Terry search, either. I always think it's funny to see some beligerant and aggressive person on TV putting a cop ill at ease then fighting him when he tries to do a Terry because "You have no right to put your hands on me!"

Avoid a prison term and save that shit for after the detention. I'm not saying I'm just a fan of power flexing, but I do like seeing uncivilized people getting their asses beat for their rude and stupid behavior. Unfortunately from what I've seen it's usually the most reasonable Police who get this stuff the most- I haven't seen many situations where people are eager to man up to officers acting like total dicks.

Anyway, I can't think of a single productive thing I can add to this thread anymore so now I'm just ranting. :deadhorse:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Just curious, how often do police search a vehicle if they stopped someone for a traffic violation? I mean, assuming there's not pot smoke billowing out when you roll down the window.

The_anti_lib

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Houston
    This kind of moved into a different direction.. I obviously understand to be respectful.

And I'm a 19 year old who drives a very nice vehicle..Cops have bad days too rite? Maybe one would want to search my car just for that fact.

I just don't want to not tell the officer there is a firearm and then hear "oh what do we have here...you can't have this"
    But thanks so much for all of the advice.

The_anti_lib

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Houston
    This kind of moved into a different direction.. I obviously understand to be respectful.

And I'm a 19 year old who drives a very nice vehicle..Cops have bad days too rite? Maybe one would want to search my car just for that fact.

I just don't want to not tell the officer there is a firearm and then hear "oh what do we have here...you can't have this"
    But thanks so much for all of the advice.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    here's the problem with your bad day theory - these bad searches find their way to an attorney eventually - a prosecutor...if an officer develops a reputation for having A LOT of bad days - they lose any credibility they had and everything else they do is suspect.....it's really tough for an officer to overcome an integrity issue

so, it's really pointless - yeah, you can find a cletus carrying a badge now and then, but that's a stereotype that exists much more on TV than in reality

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Your wrong, as you can own\possess a handgun at 18.
    Your wrong, as you can possess a handgun even earlier with a parents permission.

NFA is a 21 or older.

Sorry I was thinking of CHL. The vehicle is your castle and not considered a concealed weapon if you are in your castle. You have a right to protect your castle.

Top Bottom