ARJ Defense ad

What is Bill McCraven's problem with campus carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Retired Admiral, Seal, Special OPs and now UT Chancellor does not want campus carry.

What is his problem with gun rights?
    Hurley's Gold

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    He wants to be Chancellor of the most liberal university in the most liberal city in Texas. Coming out as "Pro-Campus Carry" would be an automatic disqualifier.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    That is true, but if he wants to keep the job he has to keep the Board of Regents happy. Many are already unhappy he has a military background. When you think about it, the military doesn't allow open carry stateside either.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Bithabus,

I don't know that most "academics" are afraid of guns BUT all too many academics are FAR LEFT & have an anti-2nd Amendment agenda.

Full Disclosure: My daughter is a UT faculty member & will carry concealed on campus if "on campus carry" passes. - She is NOT a leftist & in my opinion we need more like her.

yours, satx

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That is true, but if he wants to keep the job he has to keep the Board of Regents happy. Many are already unhappy he has a military background. When you think about it, the military doesn't allow open carry stateside either.

So why in the hell did they hire him? Seriously, is anyone at UT unaware of his background? McRaven was the only person considered for the chancellor position.

Secondly, why in the hell would he even consider a position at such a liberal academic institution? I am sure it's not the pay ($1.2M/year), he could make millions elsewhere and even if he wanted to go into academia there were better options! I know it's his alma mater, but he graduated almost 40 years ago and the school has gotten considerably more left over those decades.

All in all, his position on campus carry is a disappointment. But he was a four-star in the US military, which means he spent the last parts of his career being more of a politician than anything else. By his stance on this matter, it hasn't stopped after he retired...

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Retired Admiral, Seal, Special OPs and now UT Chancellor does not want campus carry.

What is his problem with gun rights?

He is a professional warrior who knows what he is talking about...if he says that guns on campus is dangerous, then I trust his assessment a hell of a lot more than I trust the ravings of uninformed gun nuts who have never experienced a firefight but somehow feel that unrestricted weapon possession is a, "right." Carrying guns on campus is ridiculous...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He is a professional warrior who knows what he is talking about...if he says that guns on campus is dangerous, then I trust his assessment a hell of a lot more than I trust the ravings of uninformed gun nuts who have never experienced a firefight but somehow feel that unrestricted weapon possession is a, "right." Carrying guns on campus is ridiculous...

What a stupid uninformed statement.

Talking to yourself?

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I work at an institution of higher education. It has been my observation that the assessment of most in the academic profession are NOT pro 2A is accurate, based upon conversations with co-workers.

I don't know McRaven personally, so I have absolutely no idea what his personal feelings are. In light of the recent pissing contest between Gov. Perry, Bill Powers, and a couple of UT Board of Regents, it is plausible that McRaven was simply towing the party line in order to keep is job.

However, I would like to point out that just because someone was once a professional "shooter", it doesn't mean that they have the same definition of "militia" that the Founders, or Federal Law 10 USC 311.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

However, I would like to point out that just because someone was once a professional "shooter", it doesn't mean that they have the same definition of "militia" that the Founders, or Federal Law 10 USC 311.

maybe he has different rights and privileges then the common folks?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

With that statement, I now know everything I will need to know about you going forward.
    thank you for being so transparent.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    He is an honorable professional warrior who apparently knows very little about civilian life and the Bill of Rights.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    He is a professional warrior who knows what he is talking about...

Do you understand that the military is as political as the rest of the country (more political the higher you go)? Just becasue someone is current or former military does not put them into one political camp or another. They have views that are as diverse as the rest of the population. Glad to see you are in lockstep with what they tell you to do though................:)

Last edited:

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dude - you need to seriously take to heart "question authority". I for one consider myself intelligent enough to make up my own mind without saying some other weenie is somehow better qualified to make a decision because he had some stars on his lapel at one time. Like someone else said, after you reach light colonel it's all politics. Anyway - I did my stint in the military - on the remote stations I was at mostly the security police tacitly allowed firearms - even though technically the military does not allow possession of a firearm on a military installation. That's what got those soldiers killed at Ft. Hood. Does *that* sound like a good decision in retrospect?
    So as far as campus carry - those young adults go through the same process as any other CHL which means they are statistically speaking not going to be a problem. They already CAN carry on campus - just not in buildings. So that means even though they can walk across campus legally - they can't take it into their classrooms or dorms. This means they have to leave them in their vehicle or home. Statistically speaking there a big percentage of stolen guns come from car theft. So that's a really bright idea right? Not to mention that almost all of teh assaults and/or rapes occur when students are coming or going from class to their vehicles/dorms. So you've just arbitrarily prevented someone from protecting themselves over a pretty dumbass reason - given a bad guy could give a rats furry butt it's "illegal" to carry inside a building.
    Remember when they crucified that GOP rep when he said the best thing to do in a rape was not struggle? Tell me the difference between that and refusing to allow someone to defend themselves.

PS: You sure you're in the right place here?

Last edited:

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

skinman-sigline said:
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
    ~ Benjamin Franklin

Please change your signature, as you obviously have no idea what the statement means.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    someone needs to take him an Oathkeepers Brochure, seriously.
    I don't know who or what the "Oathkeepers" are.

I just remember what a culture shock it was when my dad retired from the US Army and our family transitioned to civilian life in Austin (1959).

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I don't know who or what the "Oathkeepers" are.

I just remember what a culture shock it was when my dad retired from the US Army and our family transitioned to civilian life in Austin (1959).

| Oath Keepers

From Oath Keepers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, "Oath Keepers is an American nonprofit organization[SUP] [/SUP]that advocates that its members (current and former U.S. military and law enforcement) disobey any orders that they are given if they believe they violate the Constitution of the United States.[SUP]"[/SUP]

Top Bottom