What is considered GOOD accuracy in a .22LR rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Texas
    I have a savage MkII that my wife bought me for Valentine's Day a few years ago. I love plinking with this rifle. It came with a Bushnell 3-9 on it, I added butler creek caps and a off-brand bi-pod. I can get this rifle to about 1.5MOA @ 100 yards at an indoor range, using specific ammunition. Fiocchi seems to have the best groups...But what is considered GOOD vs GREAT accuracy?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Not too long ago 1.5 MOA was great accuracy for a center fire hunting rifle. It is very good for the money you have into it.

A few tips incase you didn't know. People going for tiny groups with rimfires sort their rounds by total weight and rim thickness. Not much else you can do with rimfire ammo to accurize it.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Forum Sponsor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hello,

Here are some targets, including a few from a MkII BTVS:

BlazerAccuracy.jpg

afterlapping.jpg

28dfd8e8.jpg

I just can't remember what this was from, the MkII or the Romanian.

30812342.jpg

47199795.jpg

and the back...

0b876429.jpg

I was just practicing; this was a time when ammo was plentiful and I was shooting 1k-4k rounds per month. I was trying to make myself into a human ransom rest to figure out what ammo was the best and what I could do with it.

I'm almost afraid to go out again. I did knock a bird off the barn at about 60 yards before the blizzard hit as a huge flock decided to descend upon the farm, but I'm chalking that up to luck. I've been rationing what's left of my CCI Subsonics. One shot and one bird; the rest took off. (Bird poop can cause disease in kids, and I got me one of them critters.)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Josh

Daily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Texas
    wow Josh!

Do you have any pictures or more info of your set up? I have the accutrigger on my Savage, I have been thinking about getting a barrel for it, I like the scope, but it has a standard crosshair reticle, so I may switch out those two things, maybe a stock if I can find a good deal on one.

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    One thing to bear in mind when shooting to determine accuarcy, is the word repeatable. In other words, you need to shoot, probably 50+ 5 shot groups groups with a particular ammo. Also always try to duplicate conditions. Everybody gets a sub .500 group at 50 yards with mediocre bulk ammo, on rare occasion, even myself. The key word is repeatable. Wishing you good shooting, and lots of fun.

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    One thing to bear in mind when shooting to determine accuarcy, is the word repeatable. In other words, you need to shoot, probably 50+ 5 shot groups with a particular ammo. Also always try to duplicate conditions. Everybody gets a sub .500 group at 50 yards with mediocre bulk ammo, on rare occasion, even myself. The key word is repeatable. Wishing you good shooting, and lots of fun.

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Thanks AustinN4. A little support always appreciated. And your right about 10 shot groups vs 5 shot. Twice as hard. Shooting 10 shot groups is called bravery. Wishing you good shooting.

Top Bottom