• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've seen some AR pistols. They look cool, but they are large and expensive.

I've heard that they are loud, and I don't think rifle cartridges shoot very well out of that short of barrels.

My question is, what is the point?

Are they just fun guns? Is there any hunting or real tactical application?

Thanks. I was just curious.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    You ought to try shooting next to one at the range. I swear...I thought my fillings were going to come out of my head! If you shot that thing in your house at a burglar....you'd be deaf for life.

Beats me....I don't get the appeal. however I don't get the Desert Eagle or a 50cal Barrett either but if thats your bag...go for it.

Thats the beauty of our gun world: theres something for everyone! LOL

- brickboy240

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    mmmmmm
    .50 bmg.
    i once saw a totally useless gun. it was a revolver, in the style of a colt peacemaker, the only thing, was the the cylinder alone was abotut eh size of a mans torso.
    it was chambered for .50 bmg
    ridiculous.

ont he other hand.... what if you loaded .223 with pistol powder? jsut pullingt hat out of my ass honestly.... but it seams like it might help some. as i understand it you are burning most of the powder outside the barrel with an AR pistol. pistol powders burn faster right? or is my understanding as flawed as it is limited?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    7.5" w/ can = broken can.

Baffle strikes and twice the pressure in your blast chamber are not good for cans.

I want a 7.5" SBR with a brake to annoy people at work.

Fleetman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot a TC Contender in .223 all the time.....very accurate to 200 and not any louder than .300's and such. IIRC, the AR handguns still have the flash hider, correct? That could be the reason for the obnoxious noise.

.50BMG's are enjoyed by a lot of people. There's quite a bit of excitement to see several holes in a target at 500 yards, not to mention 750 and 1000 yards! It is no less of a sport than benchrest shooting, skeet shooting, fishing, or knitting.....to each their own enjoyment.

Useless guns?? I think not!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    My thoughts are that the AR Pistols are just a way to get around the SB tax. That being said, I wouldn't mind having one for some fun time on the range, but the cost of them deters me from that.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well....I have a half-dozen lowers layin' around that have tempted me to build one....but for the life of me, I just can't bring myself to do it. It DOES get you around the SBR issue, but then again, so does my Uzi - and it's about the same overall length.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I'd say they are a novelty. They are not really practical for much beyond the 'how about that' factor, and at least in my experience, they are not a lot of fun to shoot.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Well....I have a half-dozen lowers layin' around that have tempted me to build one....but for the life of me, I just can't bring myself to do it. It DOES get you around the SBR issue, but then again, so does my Uzi - and it's about the same overall length.

Just to be clear, I was under the impression that a rifle lower and a pistol lower are two different things.

I thought making a Rifle lower into an AR pistol is essentially a SBR, and needs the appropriate paperwork and permit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes, rifle lowers and pistol lowers are different in the eyes of the law. Once a rifle, always a rifle. It has to have been transferred as a pistol lower IIRC (though I think there was another way, but I can't forget) or built from an incomplete (80% or less) receiver by the person building it.

My thoughts are that the AR Pistols are just a way to get around the SB tax. That being said, I wouldn't mind having one for some fun time on the range, but the cost of them deters me from that.

Ding ding ding ding! Winner!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    IF you have a lower that has NEVER been mated to either a rifle or pistol upper, you can make it either one, unless you note it as a "rifle" component on the 4473. There's another way to notate it, which is what my FFL did - so I can do 'em either way...at this point, I just don't really anticipate doin' so.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Check out the Kel-Tec PLR-16 in .223.
    My daughter has one and it is fun to shoot, recoil isn't bad ether.

yeah i wanted one of those for a while...
    but now im thinking more along the lines of the SU-16.
    but the plr 16 is inexpensive as compared to other 'AR' pistols
    definantly has a coool factor.

now does it cost extra to have a 'long barreled pistol'?

Top Bottom