What is the deal with AR pistols?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Texas42, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I've seen some AR pistols. They look cool, but they are large and expensive.

I've heard that they are loud, and I don't think rifle cartridges shoot very well out of that short of barrels.

My question is, what is the point?

Are they just fun guns? Is there any hunting or real tactical application?

Thanks. I was just curious.

2. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    conceal carry :devil::devil::devil::devil:

3. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    You ought to try shooting next to one at the range. I swear...I thought my fillings were going to come out of my head! If you shot that thing in your house at a burglar....you'd be deaf for life.

Beats me....I don't get the appeal. however I don't get the Desert Eagle or a 50cal Barrett either but if thats your bag...go for it.

Thats the beauty of our gun world: theres something for everyone! LOL

- brickboy240

4. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    At least a 50 cal Barrett has a purpose. I don't get the AR pistols either!

5. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    mmmmmm
    .50 bmg.
    i once saw a totally useless gun. it was a revolver, in the style of a colt peacemaker, the only thing, was the the cylinder alone was abotut eh size of a mans torso.
    it was chambered for .50 bmg
    ridiculous.

ont he other hand.... what if you loaded .223 with pistol powder? jsut pullingt hat out of my ass honestly.... but it seams like it might help some. as i understand it you are burning most of the powder outside the barrel with an AR pistol. pistol powders burn faster right? or is my understanding as flawed as it is limited?

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    7.5" w/ can = broken can.

Baffle strikes and twice the pressure in your blast chamber are not good for cans.

I want a 7.5" SBR with a brake to annoy people at work.

7. Exile Machine

Exile Machine Active Member

May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Would be fun to try to conceal carry one this winter. Custom holster and a hoodie or leather jacket should do it.

8. Fleetman

Fleetman Member

I shoot a TC Contender in .223 all the time.....very accurate to 200 and not any louder than .300's and such. IIRC, the AR handguns still have the flash hider, correct? That could be the reason for the obnoxious noise.

.50BMG's are enjoyed by a lot of people. There's quite a bit of excitement to see several holes in a target at 500 yards, not to mention 750 and 1000 yards! It is no less of a sport than benchrest shooting, skeet shooting, fishing, or knitting.....to each their own enjoyment.

Useless guns?? I think not!

9. Texas High Caliber

Texas High Caliber Member

Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    My thoughts are that the AR Pistols are just a way to get around the SB tax. That being said, I wouldn't mind having one for some fun time on the range, but the cost of them deters me from that.

10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well....I have a half-dozen lowers layin' around that have tempted me to build one....but for the life of me, I just can't bring myself to do it. It DOES get you around the SBR issue, but then again, so does my Uzi - and it's about the same overall length.