Join TexasGunTalk

What is this HK91 clone abomination???

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by DD130, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    WTH did I just buy??? I did find some microscopic roll marks that say it was assembled by CAI (and I negotiated the price accordingly).

What is up with this cast upper? Anyone seen anything like this before... and.. is the Rhino lining a "factory" finish or did someone really got kitchen gunsmith on this thing??

IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG

The price seemed right.... and the bolt gap is .011" (which is in service specs, if I recall), and it lobs lead away from the shooter. I have to admit, I bought it because it looks like such a bastardization of the CETME.

Anyone seen anything like this?

V-Tach likes this.
  2. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Would you take the stock off and the lower trigger pack out and take some pictures of the receiver? Is that a two piece upper receiver? Is that a cast or stamped upper receiver with Rhino Lining on it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    Cast receiver, really thick. When I first saw it, I thought it was some lame metal cover, flipped it over and say it's a single cast piece. At that point I thought... "What is the freak show? I think want to buy it." (gawd I need help). I'll see about pulling the furniture off and take some more pics..

4. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Receiver is made by Federal Arms. Why they made cast aluminum receivers when you can get the tools to stamp steel ones I have no idea... The CAI markings might be from the parts kit importation? I've heard of these, but never seen one.

5. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Wow can't believe those still turn up! One of the earliest attempts of a clone.

6. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Some quotes

I decided to do a stress test with mine. 200 rounds of .308 in rapid fire to see what would happen. Heat plus epoxy meant that the epoxy started to soften, the pin holding the barrel in started to drift, and with the trunnion and pin being harder than the aluminum, the pin holes in the receiver started to egg-hole.

DD130 likes this.
  7. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    The CAI marking is almost invisible below the trunion. I've seen a lot of HK91 clones but never anything like this! I think that maybe, at the time, the fixtures and tooling where not available to stamp out the receivers, so they sent off the reservation.

8. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    WOW!! Holy crap!! I'd not heard that yet!! :0

I won't rapid-fire the thing now! It does look like epoxy, at least on the end where the stock is attached. I was figuring, worst case, I have plenty of spare parts, including some decent wood furniture for my Portuguese G-3.

9. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    FA91 .308 CAL.
    FEDERAL ARMS CORP.
    D.C. INDUSTRIES, INC.
    BLOOMINGTON, MN USA

They went out of business in 2003 or so. This is one of the ones they made with a cast aluminum receiver. The receiver had the advantage of a weaver rail integrated as part of the design. They seemed to work fine - at least they did not have the complaints of the Century rifles. However, they are pretty clunky.

the rifle (held together in parts by epoxy, due to the impossibility of welding steel to aluminum) will fall apart.

10. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    Yeap... thems the markings.
    Wow!! Maybe I'll shelve it for parts or mount it on the wall as a "fine" example of the early HK91 cloning efforts!