• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    If I didn't know how to use a 12ga, it wouldn't be my HD gun. I would be using a 10/22...

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    The reduced recoil, yes, but only if using an autoloader for SD as it may not cycle properly (it will in my 930SPX but that isn't always the case). If you can handle full recoil, then I would use that because it means more charge behind the shot.

I would use the PDX if you wanted the power of a slug with a little forgiveness on accuracy.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Bingo.

For me those low recoil rounds are more comfortable to shoot, so when I purchase 00 I get those. I do have the old skool 00 and slugs as well.

Ultimately, whatever works for you is what is best. Granted, I don't use my shotgun for HD, but when I did standard 2 3/4'' worked fine for me.

Yes, but what about control of the weapon? Follow up shots? An injury that makes you to be weaker than normal or less coordinated?

I don't have any trouble putting shot down range with standard loads. And I don't have any injuries that hinder me when I use standard 2 3/4''.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I bought 3" #2 steel and tried it in my mossy 500 last weekend at the range. I fired it twice and if I ever have to shoot that again it will be too soon.

duns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    At first I thought, #4 buckshot might be a happy compromise but my Mossberg 590 A1 patterns very widely with it. So I've settled on 00 buck and I particularly like the Federal Flitecontrol as the shot is still in the cup at across the room distances. But my philosophy is one of knowing where the pellets will go rather than for spraying pellets all over the place.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Urban legend

I put myself in the shoes of a BG willing to kill.

I break in to the house, get midway across the living room and hear a shotgun rack. I start putting rounds in the direction of that sound.

To the OP

I use 12ga 2 3/4" #4 buck. I realize it is the minimum recommended shot size however home defense is the last role my shotgun fills and the last gun I go to for HD. It's mostly for when I here somebody yell "hey, go get a gun".

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    230 gr +P HST's
    12ga 2.75" OO Buck 12 pellet 4 DRAM Remington

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The reduced recoil, yes, but only if using an autoloader for SD as it may not cycle properly (it will in my 930SPX but that isn't always the case). If you can handle full recoil, then I would use that because it means more charge behind the shot.

I would use the PDX if you wanted the power of a slug with a little forgiveness on accuracy.

Which accomplishes what? Nothing except more recoil.

More forgiving on accuracy? You're talking approximately fist-sized patterns at typical HD distances, if that.

Top Bottom