Venture Surplus ad

What kind of hearing protection do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I have a couple of pairs of Peltor muffs. Very effective at saving what hearing I have left, but they do get pretty hot this time of year at the range.

What do you guys use / recommend?
    Hurley's Gold

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    I use the Peltor electronic muffs. If the discomfort bothers you, the cheapest solution would be disposable foam plugs.

I forget who makes them, but they are in the Dillon catalog, are a pair of plugs that you wear in the ear but you can "turn them off & on" without removing them.

Might be worth a look.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I use EarPro Sonic Defenders by SureFire, 24dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) with stoppers inserted and comfortable to wear and unobtrusive when shooting.

31tzHdK8b0L.jpg

They're inexpensive (I buy 'em on base) and hold up really well. They get pretty good reviews on Amazon.com as well!

Cheers! M2

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I like the muffs, but when the weather is hot ear plugs are more comfortable. Even ear plugs get to be a pain though. I have been wearing those things for many many years and it gets old. Trying to work all day with them in your ears causes all kinds of problem.
    If you dont wear them too long you'll be better off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    El Paso
    I'm not sure what they're called but they're the military-issued ear-pro. They're pinecone-shaped earplugs that go real deep into the ear canal. They work but they're anything but comfortable, lol.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use Peltor Tactical Sports. I've had them for probably ~3-4yrs and they've worked perfect. The sound quality is significantly better than any of the ~$50 electronic earpro out there. Battery life is pretty darn long. I think I've only replaced the batteries 1-2 times a year.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I am kinda anal about hearing protection. So For 22s use a set of in-ear plugs rated at like 21NRR. Then if I am shooting anything bigger or there are other loud guns nearby I put a set of non-electronic Howard Leight muffs on in addition to the plugs for probably NRR total of like 36ish.

I sometimes don't hear range commands though which is not good. I should probably get an electonic set of muffs.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    WHAT WAS THAT? COULD YOU PLEASE SPEAK UP?

LOL. I got some cheap ones from work that do just fine.

Would somebody answer the damn phone already?

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Go to your local drug store and get a package of Hearos. They're cheap and they work - 33 dB of noise reduction and comfortable enough for me to wear at night to drown out the wife's snoring. I ain't kidding - it's like sleeping next to a big-block Chevy with open headers. Give your earlobe a tug when you're putting it in to help the plug get situated properly in the ear canal; I suspect that some people who find them uncomfortable or not effective enough are probably not putting them in right.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the sonic defenders are awesome and were only 10 bucks
    too bad i blew my ear out a few weeks ago and even a slight noise will cause a ringing.

Top Bottom