Lynx Defense

What single survival item does the most different things?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Another vote for knife, and I'll add it should be a big one. Chop and split wood, hammer with the pommel, make shelter, make other tools, split plant fibers for rope, make a staff, tie it to a staff for a spear, kill and dress game... I dunno, I just feel like without a knife I'd be screwed and with one I could do anything.

Or you could always get a China shovel

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    mono filament fishing line = sutures, trip wires, fishing, garrote, dental floss, sewing clothing, snares cloths line, and more that I can't think of right now.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    How about toilet paper
    wiping your butt, cleaning lenses, kindeling, wound dressing, signal and trail marking, if sealed or laid flat even note paper,

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    How about toilet paper
    wiping your butt, cleaning lenses, kindeling, wound dressing, signal and trail marking, if sealed or laid flat even note paper,

No thanks, I'll stick with a knife or multi-tool. I just got back from a back country hike in Death Valley and the item I turned to most often was my multi-tool for the knife, saw, screw driver head, and pliers (listed in order of greatest need to lesser need). If you want to allow me two items then give me a multi-tool and a Buck knife.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    The idea is to think of items that could be used multiple ways and think outside the box. A knife is a valid survival tool. Knowone is going to argue with anyone who says its the most important tool. Making fire easily is #2. Purifying water is right up there with fire. What's next on the list that has the most uses? What's outside the box?

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Since you asked what item in your pack, I'll go ahead and disqualify knowledge, hands, and brain since I have no plans on being dismembered or lobotomized anytime soon. While I personally carry it in my pocket, I could put it in my pack and often carry a spare or two in there, so I'll go with knife as most have already said. While I can technically do without it, it is the one thing I would want most in any survival situation since you can solve most any problem with it given the right natural resources around you.

Strelok

Ста́лкер
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Balcones Fault
    Crovel-Extreme-440x586.jpg

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd go with a generator, because with one of those you can power any number of other useful devices.

Tough to fit that in a bag, though - if we're limiting it on size I'd also go with the knife.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    normal strike on box matches (powdered heads for propellant) and light anywere matches (tips flaked mixed with water or saliva, or even blood and pressed into old primer) can be used with a pair of needle nosesd pliers (crimping in bullet and re-forming deformed bullets) and a small nail (cleaning out spent primer with sharp end, reseating with flat end) presto field expediant reloading kit.

this is corrosive as shit, so be sure you are near fresh water. low pressure grain for grain with modern smokeless powders. not somethig i'd pack int he BOB or even recomend doing - but somethign to keep in mind for that one impossible situation you find yourself in.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    A spoon. Here are some of the things you can do with a spoon.
    eat
    cauterize wounds
    use as tent peg
    use as toggle
    sharpen into a knife
    crush herbs and medicinal plants for poltices
    make an awl with the handle
    stir things
    and many more.

I have used a spoon for all of the above.

Top Bottom