• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Brave for now. I don't remember all the names of ones I've used. IIRC duckduck just started tracking stuff. Still my default search.
    Guns International

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Firefox, Safari, Waterfox (a Firefox spinoff), Opera. Firefox for most things, the others for specific sites, so I don't have 150 tabs open at once.
    Brave sometimes; it wasn't saving passwords for some reason and annoyed me.
    DuckDuckGo on my phone; I don't think I've installed it on any computers yet.

No Chrome anywhere.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I get the feeling that ever since Internet Explorer had competition everybody goes on a seasonal hunt for a better web browser. I know I've used a bunch. I guess I finally settled on Firefox since it seems to be the default on almost every Linux distro I've tried.

Lately, though, I've gotten disenchanted with Firefox. The way I use it, it has serious performance issues. Chrome works better in most ways but I hate that it's basically spyware, reporting everything back to the mother ship and, well, lots of other places, too.

Right now I'm trying to transition to Thorium which is basically Chrome after stripping out all the stuff that reports on your activities to pretty much everyone who asks. The Chrome add-ons that would be convenient don't work but it is a big step up in performance.

So what do y'all use and why?
    I've been using Pale Moon (Firefox branch) for several years, it is not for everybody. Some websites don't like it, security is pretty tight and some of it is non standard. It is fast. I'm running Windows right now, but Linux is my preference (since 1994). My linux machine is down right now.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's probably the main reason I'm trying to transition away from it. Having to close and reopen the browser every few hours just to keep it working is a PITA.
    Apparently Waterfox is optimized for performance, but I assume the memory leaks are inherent to the base code but maybe not, dunno...

Ungoogled Chrome is an option.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Chrome, and occasionally Edge since my company is fully invested in Microsoft. Being able to get on Chrome on 3-4 devices and it knows who I am is pretty dang helpful regardless of the privacy stuff. If the NSA or whoever is that interested in me, I'm sunk anyway.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Chrome w/DDG isn the majority of my use however Opera and Firefox get some use to. Because I have iOS, Android, and Windows, I need some kind of consistent experience.

I won’t go on a rant here, but the concept of anonymity or personal and information security in the current era does not broadly exist.

Even using random locations behind VPNs using Tor won’t keep you from getting shot in the face when somebody, whether .gov, .civ, or .jqpublic is motivated enough.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Chrome w/DDG isn the majority of my use however Opera and Firefox get some use to. Because I have iOS, Android, and Windows, I need some kind of consistent experience.

I won’t go on a rant here, but the concept of anonymity or personal and information security in the current era does not broadly exist.

Even using random locations behind VPNs using Tor won’t keep you from getting shot in the face when somebody, whether .gov, .civ, or .jqpublic is motivated enough.
    Exactly. I don't even worry about it anymore. Uh oh - Hoji's going to call us boomers again.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I started this thread because I had discovered Thorium and liked it.

Well, the Thorium project has completely imploded in lots of weird ways that aren't relevant here. Future support is unlikely.

As of now, everything I migrated to Thorium is being migrated back to Firefox.

Sometime I can't catch a break. :)

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Edge for now just because it works well (for now) on my pretty new desktop. Have used Firefox in the past, but thought about trying Duck since I hear a lot of ads about it. Any thoughts on it?

Top Bottom