Guns International

What's the requirement to notify when carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    During my CHL class, this is pretty much what the instructor said to us. When they run your plates through the computer, and its registered under your name, it'll show you are a CHL holder.
    Not true. The CHL is tied to your DL. IF the departments system is programmed to automatically run the DL of the registered owner, then all the cop knows is that the registered owner has a CHL. Until he IDs the driver, he has no way of knowing if the driver is the registered owner.

Amd since the guy did not have his handgun with him, HOW could it escalate. There is and never was a requirement to display if you are not carrying.I have to balk at little at the story told you too. How did the siuation "escalate"? The officer could not arrest for fail to display. It was only enforceable thru an affidavit sent to DPS.

Your story sounds to me like an instructor lying to the class to support what he THINKS a CHLer should do, rather than just teaching the LAW.

There was no "case" that got the punishment removed. It was removed to have parity with non-CHLers.
    Gun Zone Deals

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    During a traffic stop, is a CHL holder legally required to notify the LEO that the holder's carrying?

I can't remember if this was changed recently, and need the answer sooner than I'll have the opportunity to research it.

Simple and straightforward: There is NO requirement to notify anyone you are packing heat at anytime. Is it courteous to do so when approached by a LEO, yes. But, there is still no requirement to tell anyone "chit".

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Simple and straightforward: There is NO requirement to notify anyone you are packing heat at anytime. Is it courteous to do so when approached by a LEO, yes. But, there is still no requirement to tell anyone "chit".

Again, that is wrong. The requirement is there. There is no penalty for failing to do so.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not true. The CHL is tied to your DL. IF the departments system is programmed to automatically run the DL of the registered owner, then all the cop knows is that the registered owner has a CHL. Until he IDs the driver, he has no way of knowing if the driver is the registered owner.

Amd since the guy did not have his handgun with him, HOW could it escalate. There is and never was a requirement to display if you are not carrying.I have to balk at little at the story told you too. How did the siuation "escalate"? The officer could not arrest for fail to display. It was only enforceable thru an affidavit sent to DPS.

Your story sounds to me like an instructor lying to the class to support what he THINKS a CHLer should do, rather than just teaching the LAW.

There was no "case" that got the punishment removed. It was removed to have parity with non-CHLers.

Again, that's correct; but I am in agreement that anytime I am asked for ID by a law enforcement officer I will provide my CHL with a statement as to whether I am carrying or not. This even caused a small problem a few years back when I got pulled over for speeding, as the over-anxious SAPD officer became alarmed after I told him I was not armed. He asked why I told him that, and I replied that when he ran my drivers license he would see I also had a CHL, and I wanted to let him know beforehand about it and my unarmed status so he would know about it before he ran my license. It was a simple courtesy but apparantly lost on some cops.

Still, I plan to continue to do so because I believe it is the right thing to do; the police are under enough stress and strain during any encounter and I want to be as cooperative and respectful as I can to eleviate as much of that as possible.

However, as stated, there is no requirement to display a CHL when not carrying (and no penalty for failing to do so if carrying); it is just my choice to do so for the above-explained reasons.

Cheers! M2

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    This has turned out to be a bigger issue than what kind of jelly is better on peanut butter.
    If I was a cop, I would pretty much consider that everyone would have a gun. Well I guess I think everyone should have a gun reguardless.
    Is it wrong for people to have a gun? Not to me it isnt.
    Do I think gun carriers mean me any harm, no!
    Do I need to know is someone has a gun, I couldnt care less!
    Do I relate guns and people as a threat. NO, just the people.
    I run across people all day long. Im not a cop! The negative people in my community are out looking to steal from me, not the cops. If I dont give a crap about someone having a gun then why should LE? It isnt the cops that bad guys want to steal from or who knows what else.
    I simply watch what people do and how they act. That tells me a lot about whats fixin to happen and whats going on. I hate to know that LE depends on what people tell them in order to feel safe.
    No Matter what the requirement is, I think your better off telling the cops if you have a gun on you. As we all know, sometimes cop dont take surprises very well.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This has turned out to be a bigger issue than what kind of jelly is better on peanut butter.
    If I was a cop, I would pretty much consider that everyone would have a gun. Well I guess I think everyone should have a gun reguardless.
    Is it wrong for people to have a gun? Not to me it isnt.
    Do I think gun carriers mean me any harm, no!
    Do I need to know is someone has a gun, I couldnt care less!
    Do I relate guns and people as a threat. NO, just the people.
    I run across people all day long. Im not a cop! The negative people in my community are out looking to steal from me, not the cops. If I dont give a crap about someone having a gun then why should LE? It isnt the cops that bad guys want to steal from or who knows what else.
    I simply watch what people do and how they act. That tells me a lot about whats fixin to happen and whats going on. I hate to know that LE depends on what people tell them in order to feel safe.
    No Matter what the requirement is, I think your better off telling the cops if you have a gun on you. As we all know, sometimes cop dont take surprises very well.

Simple; Guns are the instrument of choice for killing cops. That is why, requirement or not, I too disclose. Your demeanor also means a lot to the cop. I never had a guy in a suit who was smiling and being courteous try to kill me.

Top Bottom