• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Well like my title says. Why do so many people seem to hate the Mossy Maverick 88 I know its not a 2000 dollar over under gold inlayed work of art but its a CHEAP shotgun that WORKS.
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I just didn't like it. The plastic trigger guard turns me off (I can be kind of rough on things), and I didn't like the stiff safety and rough feeling action. I'm not a gun snob by any means, I just like what I like and don't like what I don't.

I just think at that price point the NEF Pardner Pump is a better buy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    And I'm not saying that to piss in your Cheerios or anything. It's just one of those things, like how I don't really like Glocks. They go bang when you pull the trigger, but I'll just never own one.

If you like it, then that's enough.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Your not hurting my feelings a bit. Like I said its not the best gun but it works, things could be improved, But over all its a pretty decent shotgun I think. There are other shotguns I would have bought over the maverick, But I didnt have to buy it, and I like free! not to mention I was given it when i was 11-12 so it was a good first 12 gauge(I was a big 11-12 y/o btw lol) maybe its just the Hi-point of Shotguns....I bought a hi-point S&W .40 on a whim last year and it really suprised me. Its not a Sig or anything but they work suprisingly well.

oneohone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Nevada, TX
    My first shotgun was a Maverick 88. Got it when I was 16, loved it, put countless cases of shells through it. Cut the barrel from 26" to 18.5" and loved it even more. Turned 18 and upgraded to Remington 870, Winchester 1300 Defender and countless pumps and semi 12 gauge shotguns. Either way the Maverick 88 is a good shotgun for the money. Only things that ever bugged me was the plastic trigger guard and the stock, but they held their own.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Will never buy a plastic gun (Glock). My handguns are all steel. That way when I run out of ammo, I can throw the thing at you and still kill you. :p

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Probably should explain why I love it so much... First off, it was my first shotgun. Second, I got an unbeatable deal on it. Academy had this deal where if you signed up for their credit card you got $50 off any purchase of more than $100... so I got it for just over $100 new. Because it was relatively inexpensive, I have never been loathe to use it, so I am probably a better shot with it than any other shotgun I've used, and it's accurate, too.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's kinda like me an' Dodges - never will own another. Have a buddy that's owned the SAME Dodge truck since the mid-70's, and it's still goin' strong....other than the frame crack where the steering box bolted up that I welded for him 20 or so years ago. Me, I put my name on the title and the thing falls apart - so IMO, there are some folks that simply shouldn't own certain products!

Kinda like Wolfie.......you look at him, and KNOW that you should shoot him before you introduce yerself!

BigFatAmericanDream

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lubbock
    there are still some pre mossberg models floating about, which really were crap form a QC standpoint. However post Mossberg they are great guns, especially at $100 cheaper than my Remington 870, which also has a plastic trigger guard [I own both] you cant go wrong!

I never was a safety kinda guy on pump shotguns, I always leave the action 3/4 open with a round in the extractor so when you need it you just pull the slide forward and you are ready to shoot.

I love mine and if for some reason it breaks, I will buy another in an instant :) hell, I might buy another and convert it to a full time black powder rifle :)

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    It was the first gun I ever purchased 10 yrs ago, haven't had ONE problem with it. Paid $89 for it at a pawn shop.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I bought one second hand at a local shop about 8 years ago. I've put a few thousand rounds through it, and with the exception of one extractor claw breaking (friend pumping it freehand with the handle like an idiot) it's been 100%. Even though it's the 26" or 28" barrel, it's what I have propped up in the closet for home defense. I have no problems trusting my life to it.

Nasa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    WCR Kat Ranch, Texas
    Nothing wrong with an 88. It just has the safety in the proper place. In front on the trigger instead of on the top rear of the receiver. My 88 is my slug gun and soon to be my 72 cal rifle when I want it to be. Have a 3-9x40 scope on it using an Aimtech saddle mount rail. Have a tri-rail for accessories with a bi-pod and the tri-rail holds my modified heat shield in place. I does get hot when having fun. Did have an ATI top folder but sold it last weekend to a bud that came over to use my range. Will most likely go with another Knox Blackhawk Spec-Ops recoil reducing stock like I have on my 835. Love my Mossberg guns. Check out Mossbergowners.com

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I picked up a Mossberg 500 for just a few bucks more and don't regret it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Maverick models. It just seemed like the Mossberg 500 had a little more fit and finish work and felt more robust. Given the price; I thought it was well worth the coin and was still a lot cheaper than anything else I was looking at.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom