• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slickrick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Lufkin texas
    I bought my maverick at academy and its a decent gun for the price. I shot it 50 times and then put it up lol I'll probly get rid of it later so I can buy a Saiga 12 :) TXSUT I call mine "Randy Moss" lol jk
    Capitol Armory ad

Username

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Waco
    I picked up a Mossberg 500 for just a few bucks more and don't regret it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Maverick models. It just seemed like the Mossberg 500 had a little more fit and finish work and felt more robust. Given the price; I thought it was well worth the coin and was still a lot cheaper than anything else I was looking at.
    +1 the price difference between a mossberg and a maverick is worth spending a few extra pennies to get what I think is a better gun.

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    Well like my title says. Why do so many people seem to hate the Mossy Maverick 88 I know its not a 2000 dollar over under gold inlayed work of art but its a CHEAP shotgun that WORKS.
    I have a friend who has an 18" barreled one. I like it. Reliable, goes BANG! every time the trigger's pulled. That's all you can ask for in a shotgun.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I now have several Mossberg 88 Mavericks and one 500 Persuader all in 12 gauge. I am a lifelong fan of Remington 1100 and 870 shotguns but REALLY like the Mossbergs, too. I'll never have a bad word to say about either one of them.

Gotta admit, the term "Mossy" grates on me like having sand in my sox.

Flash

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'd argue it's because the Mossberg 500 is a better gun for $100 more.

But, there are plenty of people who look down on Mossbergs too. Mostly, people just geek out too hard and apparently have buckets of money or credit cards that I don't have. If it works and you enjoy it, drive on. I can't tie up a fortune to get the "best" of everything, but that's OK.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I see the drilled & tapped holes in the 500 receiver and a tang mounted safety as the only real differences in the 500 and 88 Mavericks. I don't see $100 difference in price being warranted. They push the 88 as a hunting gun and the 500 as a SD shotgun. Considering that the barrels interchange, that distinction is a joke. They both have dual extractors and look the same inside and out.

Just my 2 cents.

Flash

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    Both the 500 and the 88 are available in 18.5" HD models. They are different in that the 88 has the action bars pinned to the forend. That makes it more costly if you want to change your forend because you would need to purchase an action slide tube.

One thing the 88 has going for it is that if you opt for a combo tactical pistol/stock then the cross-bolt safety can be operated with your shooting grip in place while you'd have to fuddle around to release the tang safety on the 500.

Also, if the warranty is important, the 500 has a 10-year warranty vs 1-year for the 88.

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Mossberg Maverick 88, got it when right after graduating high school. Was a field model, with a 28" barrel. Love the thing, was lightweight, balanced well and was 100% reliable. Had to at least put over 500 shells through it. For the money, they can't be beat if you need a reliable 12 Gauge shotgun.

Top Bottom