• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    Do any of you use wheel bearing grease on your AR15? I have seen a video of a trainer that uses it. He really likes it. A tub goes a very long way. On handguns too. I you do, is any brand or type preferred? Thanks.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I've packed plenty of wheel bearings in my day, vehicles and boats. I have an instant WTF in putting it on a firearm, the word I use covering "all the above" in lists of guns. Maybe because I have the leftover visuals of how thick I was putting it on bearings. But being open-minded in most things I can see a very thin coat with a Q-tip maybe on the moving parts. Emphasis on the phrase "very thin coat".

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Engine assembly grease or wheel bearing grease?

We use high temp and white lithium grease on some machine guns/auto cannons, but it’s a light coat and made for it. We use a gold mollykote to prevent muzzle devices from seizing when shooting a few thousand rounds a day through our machine guns.

In theory most petro based lubricants will work to an extent. Smell and finish might get effected. Most of what we use is based on military testing and approved products.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've used it on a buffer spring before to quiet down the action. White lithium great accomplished the same result and was much easier to apply out of a spray can.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm sure it will work but I don't like the smell of wheel bearing grease.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Never. The Commies used Cosmoline for the long-term storage of rifles, and it's a bitch to get off. And we're not talking Mosins here! ARs are far more sensitive than 100+ year old Russian bolt action rifles!

That shit will gunk up your AR and turn it into a stick.
    Cosmoline is used in America too. My dad brought a can of it home from work. It aint like Uncle Sugar breaks out surplus guns. I would wager decent money that the Garand's & M1 carbines were packed in cosmoline. CMP are the ones cleaning it off when the surplus comes into them.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA

RHT447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2016
    So for starters, graduated Small Arms Repair School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in 1974. The lube work load in the civilian firearms world is just not that severe. I have a small tub of red bearing grease and a tube of white Lithium grease. Both work fine. Just about any of the super-dooper high priced snake oils work just fine as well. I have come to the point where I like simple. I use Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 15W-50 for just about all my guns, including my Garand. The stuff stays where you put it. For a lighter lube, I just mix a small batch of Mobil 1 with a little ATF.

For rust prevention on surfaces, I wipe down with this stuff--

Amazon product ASIN B000BXMF8Q
    Be careful with Frog Lube. Not saying it doesn't work as advertised, which is mostly in a fast paced environment of run and gun. I have an older model SIG 220 that sat for about 18 months with Frog Lube in it (somewhere in that time, we escaped Kalifornia for Texas). When Frog Lube gets hot, it tends to migrate some, which is fine. It also tends to collect in places. If left to sit long enough, it starts to dry out and become tacky, which means dirt and dust will stick to it, making it even worse. When I finally got around to taking the 220 to the range, it turned out that the Frog Lube in the firing pin channel was so sticky that when the trigger was pulled, the firing pin wouldn't even touch the primer.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Do any of you use wheel bearing grease on your AR15? I have seen a video of a trainer that uses it. He really likes it. A tub goes a very long way. On handguns too. I you do, is any brand or type preferred? Thanks.

I HATE bearing grease on my AR BCG etc.... cleanup after just one box of shells is AWFUL!!! And despite claims of never having to be cleaned up, I had feed failures.

Nope, I use Red's synthetic gun lube. It is very thin. Runs great! Makes cleanup so much easier!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I HATE bearing grease on my AR BCG etc.... cleanup after just one box of shells is AWFUL!!! And despite claims of never having to be cleaned up, I had feed failures.

Nope, I use Red's synthetic gun lube. It is very thin. Runs great! Makes cleanup so much easier!
    The way to fix that is to not clean your gun.

AR's can be extremely dirty and nasty, as long as you keep it wet, it'll run

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Grease would collect dirt and debris especially out here in our part of Texas.
    I wouldn't use it when there are so many better choices

Top Bottom