• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I drove 30 miles out to my FFL to pick up my lower, to find out that I couldn't pick up my ASSEMBLED lower with a buttstock unless i'm 21.

Apparently I have to bring my dad with me. WHAT THE F**K is that all about? Neither me nor did the FFL dealer associate knew that they changed the rules again until they did the background check and it said that I have to have my dad with me. He said the change was recent because they never had problems with that before.

So I drove 30 miles back home, 60 mile round trip, and wasted a f**k ton of $3.50 per gallon gas for nothing.
    Lynx Defense

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Really? The gun store guys kept saying it's probably an Obama thing. I knew that conservatives like to blame Obama for things all the time, but I thought that this was actually one of the real times we should.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Nope, it's been that way a long time. At one point the ATF was recommending that FFLs don't sell incomplete lowers at all. Gun shop in College Station, a year ago, still had the rule you couldn't get a lower from them due to a warning from BATF they had in writing it wasn't recommended.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Nope that is bullshit it was in the last year and a half the ATF did it. I remember when they changed the writing in the back of the 4473s. It used to transfer as a rifle but they changed it to an "other".

ATF change in policy regarding lower receivers - M4Carbine.net Forums

No, it is not Bullshit. I have SOLD guns for an FFL from 2003 to 2006, and they were THEN classified as other; regardless of what someone on another forum thinks.

Bullshit is people who think because they heard something or read it on the internet it is true.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It is the same law today as it was in 1968, nothing has changed.

Bringing your father does nothing but turn it into a straw purchase.

You should have brought an upper, slapped it on and bought it as a complete rifle.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It is the same law today as it was in 1968, nothing has changed.

Bringing your father does nothing but turn it into a straw purchase.

You should have brought an upper, slapped it on and bought it as a complete rifle.

Can I do that? I was thinking of doing that, didn't think it would fly.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I used to work for an FFL as well. I remember in 09 something on the 4473 changing on the matter of AR parts. So it wasn't just something I dug up on the internet. I guess my boss just made it all up then. He was a dumbass anyway.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Not if he buys it as a gift to you.... Best to find a private sale lower.

I already bought the lower. It was an FFL transfer from spikes tactical, who I paid in full about 3 weeks ago, so I wouldn't call it a straw purchase. The only thing this gun shop is doing is having my purchase delivered to their shop so i can do a background check. I am not buying any firearms from them.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    So you can sign up for the US Army, go to the big sandbox and take a Taliban bullet for good old Uncle Sam but you can't buy a gun part.

Brilliant.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm pretty sure a complete lower with a stock isn't "other" and is in fact a rifle due to the stock. Sounds more like ignorant gunshop owner than anything. Happens all the time. Wetmore Sports wouldn't let my buddy pick up a pistol on his orders a few weeks ago. Claimed it wasn't legal. :/

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Instruction18.gif

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    They were pretty into it. I had already filled out my forms and everything, and the guy already knew my age. They even pointed out to some stapled papers that actually said that I couldn't pick it up without a 21 year old with me.

EDIT: Exactly what renegade just posted above me. That first paragraph.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    They were pretty into it. I had already filled out my forms and everything, and the guy already knew my age. They even pointed out to some stapled papers that actually said that I couldn't pick it up without a 21 year old with me.

I am curious. What did they mean by "couldn't pick it up without a 21 year old with me"

Who filled out the 4473?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    assuming the 4473 is the form where i write my info and check boxes that say that i havent committed crimes and am a legal immigrant, I filled it out as he told me what to and not to fill out. Then he took it to the back room, came out and said something about me needing to have my dad with me since i'm not 21.

And yes, even he said that he doesn't know why it's like that since the assembled lower already has a stock on it.

Top Bottom