• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yeah outside of a 200 everything is dial. The bdc stuff like this uses and the horus make spotting misses more difficult as the sight picture is cluttered up with marks. If you are in a consistent area and have a constant supply of ammo then bdc is ok but only out so far. Dialing is still far more precise.

I can absolutely agree with that. I thought for a long time that holdovers would be great for long distance shots but when I got into shooting long distance I could see very quickly that it wasn't going to work. It isn't near precise enough for anything past a few hundred yards.

BDC is good enough for your average deer hunter. Problem is most deer hunters don't test it. They just assume it is good with their round and rely on it.
    Lynx Defense

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I can absolutely agree with that. I thought for a long time that holdovers would be great for long distance shots but when I got into shooting long distance I could see very quickly that it wasn't going to work. It isn't near precise enough for anything past a few hundred yards.

BDC is good enough for your average deer hunter. Problem is most deer hunters don't test it. They just assume it is good with their round and rely on it.
    I quickly converted a fellow shooter away from his nikon bdc. He had all kinds of problems even with a 25-06 which is a realitivly flat shooting. I pulled up drop on my phone and had him on to 700.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I quickly converted a fellow shooter away from his nikon bdc. He had all kinds of problems even with a 25-06 which is a realitivly flat shooting. I pulled up drop on my phone and had him on to 700.

Did the same thing myself. Struggled with holdovers and got frustrated quickly even with a high power FFP scope. Looked at some charts and downloaded an app. Started getting consistant hits immediately which is good for my shooting ability.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Did the same thing myself. Struggled with holdovers and got frustrated quickly even with a high power FFP scope. Looked at some charts and downloaded an app. Started getting consistant hits immediately which is good for my shooting ability.
    I'm on the fence for the use of ffp. It os great at times but not so much for others. With a second focal the reticle is typically only correct at or near max magnification which can be a issue but I just drop to half of that and I'm fine besides subtensions are only half of what the are at max. My biggest thing is making sure reticle and turrets match as it is a lot more streamlined.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Can you shoot a running hog, dialing in your scope?

I've hit one at 447yds on the run up 5.5moa and boom. Was easy? No not exactly. Would it have been easier with a bdc or anything else? No I don't think so as with a actual cross hair is easier to aim with and allows use of the full sight picture.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    rezume5e.jpg

8aze3a7y.jpg

Heres some more info for yall if you havent seen it already. It looks cluttered but really isnt.
    Looks like they threw some 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO loadings in there too.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Was just joshing ya Bigun, breath deep, remember your pressure points....:roflfunny:

That is some impressive shooting, hog @ 447 yds and running....perty awesome:asniper: :pig:
    Lolz. Feathers weren't even close to being ruffled. Just posting info I've found helpful.

As far as the pig goes I'm not sure I could replicate it as the 1st Amax hit her a bit far back but the second dropped her.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Lolz. Feathers weren't even close to being ruffled. Just posting info I've found helpful.
    As far as the pig goes I'm not sure I could replicate it as the 1st Amax hit her a bit far back but the second dropped her.
    Haaa! Don't even know if I could hit one that far out............but I'd damn sure make em run a little faster....:evil:

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I did, got it mounted, hope to try it out today, was too windy last couple days.

I like it a lot just initially, except the on switch turn is a little weird, works just not a definite click. I ordered the frond shade and can not use it with my flip up sights because it just touches it.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I did, got it mounted, hope to try it out today, was too windy last couple days.

I like it a lot just initially, except the on switch turn is a little weird, works just not a definite click. I ordered the frond shade and can not use it with my flip up sights because it just touches it.
    Give us a review if you get to try it out today.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Took it out today.

Will run it more later, but here's my initial notes.

The adjustment knobs turn well, crisp clicks. The knob for turning the lighted reticle kind of rolls, wish it was more crisp like the adjustments.

When I first got out today it was about 18:00 with broken cumulus clouds, sun in and out, but not overly bright. I turned the reticle on, but it did not come on initially. I wasn't sure if it was because of light washing it out or what, so I ran threw all the intensity levels, nothing. Took the batterie cover off, took batterie out, put it all back together, then it worked. The reticle set on 6 which is the highest on the reticle turned the zero point and circle red but black still visible. Not really sure the point of this yet.

It reminds me a lot of my Nikon M-223. I do like the reticle, did not get to really test out the different adjustments with it yet. Surprisingly it was Farley calm winds today, so good for zero but couldn't test out the wind corrections, but I'm sure I'll get a chance.

I did have a duh moment with it, set it to 30 to get on paper, went to 100 yards and wasn't close, took me a few rounds to figure out I left it at 30...........

Shot it out to 200 yards, put metal on metal.

Will update ate more next time out which will be soon hopefully.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Sounds like youre getting a bad contact with the battery or cheap battery. I know pa has never been the brightest reticles but id think the black shouldnt still be visible.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    When you say "wind corrections" you aren't dialing are you? It's much better to hold wind unless trying to shoot tiny groups at distance.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    It's a Sony battery and just checked it out again this morning, I'll get a new battery maybe I left it on due to the lack of definite on and off clicks. But right now on 6 I can barely see it sitting at my dinning room table.

Top Bottom